Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Dec 2003, 17:06 (Ref:808498)   #1
HForce
Rookie

HForce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top 5 Drivers without a win

I like doing my top fives.

OK here’s my top five F1 drivers (not including present day F1 drivers) that did not win a GP.

1. Stefan Johanson
2. Martin Brudle
3. Mika Salo (Though he should off win the German GP 99 if it wasn’t for team orders)
4. Teo Fabi
5. Pierluigi Martini
Old 10 Dec 2003, 17:18 (Ref:808507)   #2
jamescrofts
Retired
Racer

jamescrofts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris Amon has to be top of the list!
Old 10 Dec 2003, 17:36 (Ref:808516)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who's Chris Amon?

*runs like hell*
Old 10 Dec 2003, 17:46 (Ref:808521)   #4
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the unluckiest drivers in history.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 18:06 (Ref:808535)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ooo, difficult. Assuming that they had to have a fairly decent F1 career then. Hmmm, some suggestions:

Chris Amon
Martin Brundle
Piers Courage
Stefan Johansson
Mike Hailwood

oh and JJ Lehto ('cus I like him!)
Old 10 Dec 2003, 18:08 (Ref:808536)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Amon
Brundle
Johansson
Bellof
Stuck
Old 10 Dec 2003, 18:14 (Ref:808541)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Bellof
V. good suggestion.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 18:21 (Ref:808545)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Amon, Brundle, Bellof, Lewis-Evans and Hailwood come to mind. Johansson had 2 years at Ferrari and 1 at McLaren, but ultimately wasn't fast enough.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 18:37 (Ref:808554)   #9
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Some interesting statistics, you can check the driver's with most wins, without points.

http://f1-facts.com/statistics/drivers/races_won
Old 10 Dec 2003, 18:44 (Ref:808563)   #10
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean Behra seems like a driver who deserved a win, especially considering what he did with the struggling Gordini team, and he gets my vote for punching his team boss! Another driver where what if... comes to mind
Old 10 Dec 2003, 18:45 (Ref:808564)   #11
HForce
Rookie

HForce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BootsOntheSide to be fair Johansson his one-year at McLaren in 87 the team were using a Tag badged engine, which was very much out powered by the Honda. Though Prost won 3 GP that year, the field was out classed by Williams. I believe if McLaren hadn’t signed Senna, Johansson would off gone on to win many GPs in 88, hell I would off won a few driving a McLaren in 88. One could compare the McLaren 87 to the Ferrari 96, where MS won 3GPs & Eddie Irvine won none! Eddie was more than good enough to win GPs as he proved.

Yeah he had two years at Ferrari, but he drove in 85 & 86 arguably two of the worse Ferrari F1 cars ever, he was quicker than Alboreto a multi GP winner!

But having been speaking Johansson up I don’t think he even won a Cart race, perhaps some guys are born not to win!
Old 10 Dec 2003, 18:51 (Ref:808570)   #12
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrea De Cesaris holds the record for the driver with the most GP starts without a win doesn't he??
Old 10 Dec 2003, 19:14 (Ref:808591)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by james_williams
Andrea De Cesaris holds the record for the driver with the most GP starts without a win doesn't he??
I think he also holds the record for destroying the most chassis as well.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 19:16 (Ref:808593)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i think it was Andrea's philosophy that if you bring the T-car to a GP weekend then you MUST use it!!

Last edited by ralf fan; 10 Dec 2003 at 19:16.
Old 10 Dec 2003, 21:40 (Ref:808709)   #15
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1) Chris Amon
The unluckiest man in GP history. Bar none. Visor coming off at Monza strikes me as the most unfortunate loss.

2) Jean Behra
One of the best drivers of the late 50's, almost in the league of Moss. Tragedy at AVUS cut his life short, otherwise he would almost certainly have taken at least 1 win.

3) Stefan Bellof
One of the greatest tragedies in F1 history. A driver that could have become as great as Senna, but was taken so early in his already sparkling career.

4) Martin Brundle
A match for Senna in F3, but was often in the wrong team at the wrong time. Came close with Benetton.

5) Stefan Johansson
Many podiums, at least one of them should have been a win if there's any justice in the world.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 10 Dec 2003, 22:00 (Ref:808741)   #16
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chris Amon
Martin Brundle
Mike Hailwood
Stewart Lewis-Evans
Tom Pryce

I'm not sure whether Tom Pryce and Mike Hailwood never won a grand prix, i don't think they did
Old 10 Dec 2003, 22:18 (Ref:808763)   #17
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Who's Chris Amon ?"...that's the penalty of never having won a Grand Prix alright!
Old 10 Dec 2003, 22:31 (Ref:808779)   #18
devil racer nz
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington, New Zealand
devil racer nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by james_williams
Most starts without a win - top 5

Andrea de Cesaris - 208
Martin Brundle - 158
Derek Warwick - 147
Jean-Pierre Jarier - 135
Eddie Cheever - 132
Old 10 Dec 2003, 22:44 (Ref:808792)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok don't shoot me
salo should have won,
as brundle should have as well
johansson
(cheever is a punk- he didn't win ever because he soils himself too often-he is not a top 5 driver, with or without a win)
Old 10 Dec 2003, 23:00 (Ref:808800)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by high contrast
"Who's Chris Amon ?"...that's the penalty of never having won a Grand Prix alright!
I think you'll find that ASCII man was being humorous.

Chris Amon has to be top of this list, and in fact, just as Moss is famous for not winning WDC, so Amon is famous for not winning a single GP. An absolute travesty since he was one of the very best of his generation. Martin Brundle comes second on my list followed by Bellof, Behra and maybe Johannson
Old 10 Dec 2003, 23:48 (Ref:808833)   #21
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brundle
Stephan "Second Sux" Johansson (Who was wrongly chucked out of ferrari in 86 - why? I don't know, maybe making the italian look bad or something...)
de Cerseris
Blundell?
Derek Bell
Old 11 Dec 2003, 01:58 (Ref:808879)   #22
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Chris Amon for sure. The French GP in '72 in the Matra.

Was Hailwood ever really with a team that could have won? Certainly I would wish that he had had a GP victory. He made up for it all when he went back to Isle of Man on the Ducati.

Tony Brise maybe? Short career, but showed a lot of promise.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 21:29 (Ref:809605)   #23
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amon, that goes without saying, Bellof was fantastic, DeCesaris was always fast and once he joined up with Jordan he finally calmed down aswell, uncle Ken thought very highly of him, especially as a test driver, and he knew a thing or two, Brundle probably deserved a win, he kept MS honest at Benetton, i would have to say Jarier deserved a win, just for the job he did filling in for Ronnie at Lotus.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 01:27 (Ref:809737)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chris Amon. This guy had a jinx on him his entire career.

Martin Brundle. Drove for the right teams - Benetton, McLaren - at the wrong time.

Pierluigi Martini. Sentimental pick. Plenty of talent, spent all (well, all but one) of his career at Minardi. Would have liked to have seen him in a top-line car just one year to see what he could have done.

Andrea de Cesaris. He has THAT reputation, but by the end of his career he was a stable choice for most team managers.

Jean Behra. Talented driver who came close so often only for his unreliable beast of a car to break down.

Special mention goes to Derek Warwick...
Old 12 Dec 2003, 12:40 (Ref:810099)   #25
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Top 5 Drivers without a win

Quote:
Originally posted by HForce
I like doing my top fives.

OK here’s my top five F1 drivers (not including present day F1 drivers) that did not win a GP.

1. Stefan Johanson
2. Martin Brudle
3. Mika Salo (Though he should off win the German GP 99 if it wasn’t for team orders)
4. Teo Fabi
5. Pierluigi Martini
Well think of the number of possible wins Eddie Irvine had to give up for the [EDIT]German[/EDIT], so Mika Salo shouldn't have won that race!

[EDIT]There is no need![/edit]

Last edited by Adam43; 22 Dec 2003 at 19:42.