Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 7 Oct 2000, 18:56 (Ref:41656)   #1
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The last race of the year at combe, and a pretty good one. Lots of cars, lots of action.
The Junior Zetec championship was there, those boys have no fear!!!! One went up a grass bank and VERY nearly rolled!!

All of the circuit championships now decided.

Good to meet Tony, hi there bloke, and a very scary moment that maybe he should describe?
Old 8 Oct 2000, 15:55 (Ref:41806)   #2
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Did you see 'Stripey' with his Rovers and, I think, an Ultima?
Old 8 Oct 2000, 18:04 (Ref:41815)   #3
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Graham, did you go on Saturday?
The Ultima was way way off the pace I thought
Old 8 Oct 2000, 20:52 (Ref:41836)   #4
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't go
Old 9 Oct 2000, 12:14 (Ref:41959)   #5
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A good day indeed. One of the best pagid races in a long time, a fantastic duel between Parsons and Cotrill in the final of the carnival, up until the point where Cotrill's suspension broke (without contact) coming into Quarry (he did brilliantly not to hit anything).

The only downside was collecting "our" Tony Harmon when he had a bit of a disagreement over a bit of tarmac with one of his fellows. Hope it'll be back together soon Tony.

Roll on next year.....
Old 9 Oct 2000, 18:46 (Ref:42006)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were you with the usual gang Marshal?? Got some very good reports back...

Not too long until next year, as it's almost Xmas already!!

Going to concentrate on getting a better job and turning the Midget into 'sprint' spec... plus a bit of rugby here and there - it'll be March before we know it!!
Old 10 Oct 2000, 08:15 (Ref:42109)   #7
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was indeed with the usual crew, almost a full house, only your good self missing.

I suppose its not too bad, at least I've got the European cup to keep me amused!
Old 10 Oct 2000, 11:44 (Ref:42126)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time to keep focused on rugby... I agree.

Going to London Irish V Brive on Saturday.... bring on the Murphy's!!!
Old 17 Oct 2000, 14:55 (Ref:43336)   #9
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to meet the10/10ths gang - try flying

Whoops - got that a bit wrong then....
Yes it was a good day at combe, despite the eventual outcome. Got to meet Lee, nice of you to come round for a chat bloke, and your mate. Sorry didn't get a chance to say hello to Car 42 - Rick - hope you had a good day too.
But I had to make a real big effort to meet Marshal as you didn't come over to say hello during the lunch break, so this is how I did it.
Arrived at 6.45am, pitch black and raining, paddock was dead quiet with everybody still sleeping so we changed all that by clanking a couple of noisy loading ramps around, well somebody had to get up and offer me a cup of tea ! Due to the very strict curfew we couldn't start engines till 8.30 am and we were first practise at 8.35, (which they called 5 minutes late but still finished on time), due to all the precipitation I couldn't get my engine to start and ended up only doing 4 laps in practise, enough to qualfy me 21 out of 25 I think. And so to the race, made a reasonable start and got up a few places to midfield, was very surprised to find a couple of usually quicker cars behind me, and staying there, so the new approach on ratio's was the right way to go. By lap 7 I had caught Pete Whiting who although quick on the straight was v.slow through Tower and Quarry - he was lifting on the crest before Quarry, I tried a wide in tight out approach on lap 9 but that didn't work so on the last lap I went for the inside on the approach to Quarry, braking as late as possible and got right alongside, unfortunately he didn't see me and turned in, I backed off but not quick enough and I banged my front left to his rear right, this of course spun him round on the exit and I dived left in avoidence and thought I managed it but then quite unexpectedly my rear wheel rode up over his rear and I was launched skywards and came down into the grass and tyre wall right in front of the Marshalls post. So that's how I got to meet Marshal ! - next time come over and say hello during the lunch break matey - I not sure I could pull that manouvre off again, and get off so lightly !
The down side is the car is too badly damaged to contemplete doing the Brands FF festival this weekend so that's the end of my season really.
At least I've got plenty of time to get it repaired for next season... famous last words.
If anyone has any pics from the incident or might know someone who has please let me know.
See you on the black stuff next year - Tony
Old 18 Oct 2000, 12:10 (Ref:43429)   #10
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Glad to hear that you enjoyed Combe, Tony... I can't believe that the only meeting that I miss all year and you spin off with my team!! Hope it's not too expensive.. and no doubt you'll play a starring role in 'The Thrills and Spills of Castle Combe 2000' - one quality video..
Old 18 Oct 2000, 12:44 (Ref:43437)   #11
Tony Harman
Veteran

Thanks for the sentiments Dan. Well you should have been there- 'cos I'm not attempting that trick again for anybody, no way ! (well not on purpose anyway)
Shouldn't be too expensive I hope, most of it I can fabricate at home, I have certainly damaged one shock but I'll have to check the others as well, TrakSpax don't come cheap at £289 GBP each so I'm hoping the others are OK
Are you serious about the Combe Thrills and Spills video ?, if there is such a thing I'd be really interested in seeing if my "incident" is on it.
Tony
Old 18 Oct 2000, 12:49 (Ref:43439)   #12
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Yep, video is produced every year by Black Widow... They have cameramen positioned at most corners round the track, and definently at Quarry.. The video shows every incident (spins and all) that don't result in injury.. I usually borrow it from a friend when it comes out just before Xmas. I'll look out for you and tell you whether you make an appearence!! Car number is???
Old 18 Oct 2000, 15:12 (Ref:43453)   #13
Tony Harman
Veteran

Car number is 22 (both ways up !), Red & White Classic Jamun FF