Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:37 (Ref:858277)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
the cars ?

so after the court ruling and things are getting in full swing of racing for 2004 I was wondering what cars and engines will be used in 2004.

will they just be the same cars they used in 03 and engines too or are there new cars on the horizon ?

I would imagine there wouldnt be new cars this year simply because of the lateness of everything so its status quo for 04 then is it ?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:42 (Ref:858286)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I've read/heard on the grapevine, the chassis freeze continues into this year but hopefully they have new bits and pieces, particularly a new chassis, for 2005.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:45 (Ref:858290)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep sounds reasonable doesnt it , I guess 04 is going to be a makeshift year for the series , trying to rebuild and get a foothold again but 05 should be much stronger and once 04 starts to pan out car builders can get a better idea of how the series is going and start taking orders i guess
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:46 (Ref:858293)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Something makes me think that a new chassis can still be purchased from Lola, given enough advance time for the order. I would think that the "new" chassis would be identical to the "old" one, though. But there obviously has to be a supply to meet the demand met by crashes.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:49 (Ref:858297)   #5
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this year they will address the engine formula for up and coming seasons. Should be interesting to see where we're going with that. For cost reasons I think staying the same could be a good move.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 20:35 (Ref:860589)   #6
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well for this year, I agree, stay with the Ford's, but we really need to get multiple manufactures back into CC. And we need to keep the turbo's. They sound better, they attract more high-tech sponsors, and they help differentiate us from that other series. Ford's engines have been great, don't get me wrong, but they rev so low, that they don't sound nearly as powerful as they used too. Seriously, Toyota Atlantics sound almost as mean as the Champcars, or at least that was my observation at Portland last year.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 20:42 (Ref:860601)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I wholeheartedly agree with the first half of your post, jjspierx.
And I guess I agree with the "low revs" part, too. But the long-lasting engine is, IMO, a sign of things to come. For economic reasons, and not just in ChampCars. Not that I like it, but if it's necessary...
Old 2 Feb 2004, 22:28 (Ref:860745)   #8
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are dead right macdaddy, even F1 is requiring longer engine life.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 22:41 (Ref:860754)   #9
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True, but F1 isn't lowering their rev's to increase engine life. I'm not an engine builder by any means, but I think they can do other things besides lower rev's to make an engine last longer. I think just lowering the revs, was the easiest, cheapest solution.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 23:12 (Ref:860789)   #10
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's probably true, and it'll be interesting to see if after the R&D and new materials and technoglogy put into it if it actually makes things any cheaper (in F1).
Old 2 Feb 2004, 23:44 (Ref:860831)   #11
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Walker not have any "new" Reynards available? Somehow I thought they did. The rulemakers (who are they now?) should really consider letting changes be allowed immediately to the Reynard to get it competative. That is an easy and relatively inexpensive fix to add some variety. I understood that the new aero package was available but it has never been allowed to be put on the car as it was completed just at the time of the freeze and was shut down.

I'm OK with the lower rev engines for right now. The teams need to continue with a stable cost formula now that their is no subsidy. In a oouple of seasons when there are a more manufacturers willing and able to play harder and supply their teams with "factory" engines, crank it up.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 01:10 (Ref:860882)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought Walker did have "new" Reynards FS. BTW: I thought "new" Reynards were simply old Reynards with the Renske wing and whatever parts Forsythe developed in 2002?

I have no desire for any change in chasis or engine unless it: 1. Lowers costs. 2. Makes it easier to pass.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 04:44 (Ref:861010)   #13
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has everyone seen the new car Lola is supplying to the sheik/prince of whatever for his personal racing series. I'm sure someone has a link. Very 21st century-esque from the photo I saw.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 04:48 (Ref:861015)   #14
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SurfaceUnits
Has everyone seen the new car Lola is supplying to the sheik/prince of whatever for his personal racing series. I'm sure someone has a link. Very 21st century-esque from the photo I saw.
From Crash.net: http://www.crash.net/uk/en/picture_v...=26&pid=110731