Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 16 Jan 2004, 13:47 (Ref:840362)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old Circuit Pics

I know there have been other threads on this, and it was reading one and looking around to see what was out there that got me wandering from site to site looking at marvellous photographs of old circuits such as Reims and Rouen. Not just period pics either, the shots that people have taken on visiting what is left of some of these historic venues years after they ceased to hold races.

I must admit I'd love to go to Spa, Monza, Rouen or Reims (or any number of other places) to look at what remains of these great old circuits. Perhaps it's pounding around places like Rouen and Reims (in GPL) which makes me fascinated to see what is left.

A good starting point is the following link (which some of you are sure to have visited before) in which the writer does as near a complete tour of the Rouen circuit as is (or was a few years ago) possible. If you haven't had a look, do so - its fascinating stuff. Just looking, for example at Nouveau Monde as it stands now or what is left of that incredible Gresil corner......

Take a look......

http://www.lugnutsracing.com/rouen.html

And if anyone else has good links to old photos or photos of old circuits, I for one would be glad to see them.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 16 Jan 2004 at 13:48.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 13:51 (Ref:840368)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was thinking of walking up to Crystal Palace with my camera to do a little thing of the track now...

You can go here to start with though

www.racingcircuits.net

Go to photo archives
Old 16 Jan 2004, 13:52 (Ref:840371)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also http://www.adamashmore.co.uk/race200...uit/index.html Adam Ashmore posted this link in the F1 thread)
Old 16 Jan 2004, 13:54 (Ref:840376)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done p - I was going to post Adam's link. Fantastic photos of Reims.

Here is another link to what is left of Rouen -

http://8w.forix.com/6thgear/rouen.html

To be honest, it makes me want to cry. How can a town be so determined to totally erase the existence of a historic racing circuit?
Old 16 Jan 2004, 14:25 (Ref:840418)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
yeah. Palace is in a sorry state too. It's really hard to find an account of the park history with anything at all about it's motorsport history, which was pretty much all the history it had from 1937-1972. Nobody there these days realises their favorite paths are in fact a race track. Ther startline is just a mound of earth now.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 12:54 (Ref:841515)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Have you seen the links to Keimola on that racing circuits link i posted?

That place really is a wreck. Control tower burnt out, track encroached on by the forest, bushes growing up through the asphalt, sections of asphalt destroyed to prevent people using it for riding their bicycles round, i mean that sounds like complete determination to erase the track from the face of the world, and make sure everybody forgets it ever existed! That's really sad IMO
Old 17 Jan 2004, 14:05 (Ref:841564)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great links. I said it in the F1 forum, but there is certainly something strangely spooky about all those photo's in such a state of disrepair.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 14:19 (Ref:841569)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
yeah. It's just odd to think that just behind adam in his pic of Masta at Spa was where Jackie Stewart was trapped underneath his car in 1966...
CP isn't so much in a state of disrepair, more that it's being used for other stuff now. I said sorry state because there's no longer any indication at all that it ever was a race track, it just looks like a bit of attractive park land.
At least at Rouen and Reims the pits are still there. I'm told much of the old Osterreichring still exits, apart from the obviosu bits that are part of the current track, but Hella Licht and Dr. Tiroch Curve are still there apparently.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 15:54 (Ref:841622)   #9
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But then there's Montjuich Park in Barcelona, where the circuit roads haven't been touched, and probably improved too (considering what's happened there since F1 left). They can probably hold a massively successful race there today. Someone should pass a memo to the Formula Nissan people for a marquis event. It'll be like Pau, only so much better!
Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:30 (Ref:841982)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, Montjuïc (as this is the name in Catalan, without h please) is pretty much the same. So far thought the Superfund World Series are planning a race in downtown Bilbao, but if hopefully they revived Montjuïc...
Old 18 Jan 2004, 11:17 (Ref:842251)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Montjuic would make a great modern day street track. Bring it back!

While we're on street tracks, anyone for a revival of Birmingham?

Last edited by pirenzo; 18 Jan 2004 at 11:18.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 13:43 (Ref:842359)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I thought the pits had also now gone from Rouen?
Old 18 Jan 2004, 13:53 (Ref:842366)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I thought the pits had also now gone from Rouen?
Have they? Oh, didn't know that
Old 18 Jan 2004, 17:21 (Ref:842471)   #14
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
While we're on street tracks, anyone for a revival of Birmingham?
Your dreams are nearing reality...

http://www.birmingham101.com/superprix/
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 18 Jan 2004, 17:25 (Ref:842473)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
hmm, it's not a dream of mine, i was being sarcy
Old 20 Jan 2004, 08:23 (Ref:843640)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Have they? Oh, didn't know that
Have a look at this site.

http://8w.forix.com/6thgear/rouen.html

This one

http://8w.forix.com/6thgear/rouen-pitlane-exit.jpg

is entitled "All that is left of the pitlane".

So sad.

Old 20 Jan 2004, 13:21 (Ref:844009)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by crozier74
Your dreams are nearing reality...

http://www.birmingham101.com/superprix/
I found the old Birmingham track hugely dull - for a street circuit. I remember watching those F3000 races on the box. I certainly don't have any passion at all for reviving them........
Old 20 Jan 2004, 16:39 (Ref:844248)   #18
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
oh must have been recent. The pits are still there in lugnut's pics
Old 21 Jan 2004, 15:20 (Ref:845503)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think Lugnut's date from at least 3-4 years ago.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 16:34 (Ref:845581)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
still recent....
Old 22 Jan 2004, 13:36 (Ref:846803)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Plenty of time to bulldoze some old pit buildings.......
Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:42 (Ref:846945)   #22
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
yeah. Anyone know if the old Reims pits are still there?
Old 23 Jan 2004, 08:37 (Ref:847903)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I can't remember when Adam's pics were taken now offhand, but I certainly haven't heard that they've gone under the bulldozers and JCBs - yet.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 12:37 (Ref:855074)   #24
Eau Rouge Flat
Rookie

Eau Rouge Flat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out Ben Lovejoy's Nurburgring site for loads of info on the Nordschliefe's history, old and new photo's (some great construction photo's), how to get there, driving the old circuit and loads more. I'm thinking of taking a trip there in the Spring. Anybody else been or fancies going?

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/
Old 29 Jan 2004, 12:57 (Ref:855098)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks for that, I'd forgotten that one - excellent site