Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Nov 2000, 01:05 (Ref:46626)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They say that horse racing is the "sport of kings". Well, that's as may be, but in the history of motor sport, there have been an extraordinary number of titled persons as active competitors. And many proved themselves to have something of a flair for the common touch too.

I found myself thinking on this when I came across a delightful anecdote from Charles Mortimer, motorcycle racer before the war, Goodwood sportscar driver afterward.

Freddie Dixon was a no-nonsense Yorkshireman, with an honesty in his language which was only matched by his liveliness with a few drinks inside him. He said what he meant, and delighted in scandalising the gentle ears of the Brooklands set with his favourite "Well, that's ####ed that, then" when a racing car failed.

Much to his own surprise, Freddie Dixon was elected a member of the British Racing Drivers Club. An organisation steeped in the social niceties of the 1930s, and presided over by Lord Francis Howe. Earl Howe made it his business to get to know new members, and would stroll around the paddock, looking and sounding every inch the aristocrat, seeking out the new intake.

On the fateful day, Earl Howe espied Freddie Dixon's Riley being fettled in the paddock. A pair of oily legs was sticking out from underneath it. His Lordship hailed the legs with his customary greeting. "Morning. How's Dixon this morning?"

For a moment, nothing, and then the legs emerged from under the car, followed by the remainder of Fred. He looked up, through oil and grime, and in his most impenetrable of Yorkshire, responded "Awreet.'Ow's 'Owe?", before disappearing back into the deepest recesses of the Riley.

Not the done thing at all in BRDC circles. And later that evening, Freddie's friends took the opportunity to tell him so in the Members bar. Just as the conversation lulled, Fred's voice rang out across the bar, "That's as maybe. But I'm not doffing my cap to any ####### Duke."

There was a hush - the Members were only too aware that their patron was among them. Then came another voice. "Dixon? Will you have a drink with a ####### Duke?"

The two became great friends, and raced together on many occasions.

What other sport can boast such a broad spectrum of participants?

And if horse racing is indeed the "sport of kings", then Count Zborowski, Prince Bira, and so many others surely make some sort of challenge for the title.
Old 11 Nov 2000, 10:41 (Ref:47949)   #2
Michael M
Racer

Michael M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mostly unknown, the first cars Ferrari sold in their very early beginning went to "blue blooded" customers. This was the Spyder Corsa # 002C to Count Gabriele Besana end of 1947, and # 004C in March 1948 to his brother Soave Besana. Next cars - also Spyder Corsas, # 006I and # 010I - went to the Scuderia Inter, a joint venture between Prince Igor Troubetskoy and Count Bruno Sterzi, also the first roadgoing Ferrari went to them, a 159/166 S - # 003S - for daily use and as training car.