Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 17 May 2004, 06:57 (Ref:973004)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Camera Lies

Or at least the preview does
Has anybody else spent a day shooting digital where when reviewing the images on the camera everything looks great but when you actually offload the images they are a pile of fuzzy poo?
I have just had an unbelievably frustrating day at Oulton Park Saturday...though I'fd got hundreds of crystal clear shots beuatifuuly framed ones of the NWFF1600 boys cresting Lodge but once I got them home....argggggg I could cry I'm that p****d off...I was one glass of scotch from slinging it all at the wall and saying "s**w it" and going back to basketweaving
I'd even tried setting shutter speeds a little higher than I would usually like in an attempt to get some bankers but it all seems to have been tolittle avail this weekend
Old 17 May 2004, 07:34 (Ref:973022)   #2
RayS
Rookie

RayS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or at least the preview does
Has anybody else spent a day shooting digital where when reviewing the images on the camera everything looks great but when you actually offload the images they are a pile of fuzzy poo?

Yep been there done that, your not alone. The only consolation is that it wont have just cost ££££'s on film and processing to find out.
Old 17 May 2004, 08:02 (Ref:973045)   #3
F1Nut
Rookie

F1Nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Paul,

Happened to me, got my new camera spent a day at silverstone and got home only to find they were c**p. I done the same, used a high sutter speed, but still the same result. Sorted now though, found out the problem was with the focus. Not trying to tell you to suck eggs but try to working on your focus coz I found that was the problem. Now I got that sorted the images are perfect.

What equipment are you using?

Hope this is of some help.

Steve.

F1-Photos.net
Old 17 May 2004, 08:11 (Ref:973053)   #4
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sometimes I get that too but it's just usually with one or two shots, I just put that down to poor focus when I was taking the shot. It can be frustrating though when it looks like a good shot but when its uploaded it actually isn't!

I've now upgraded from a Kodak digital camera to a Fujifilm S5000 (lol bit of a difference there!) so I will see how my shots come out this coming weekend

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 17 May 2004, 09:27 (Ref:973112)   #5
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, been there, done that. Not only with focus but also with exposure/contrast. The shots look well-exposed on the camera display but look dull when downloaded & printed. I managed to compensate for the latter by turning down the brightness on the camera display.

Is it possible that the scotch is adding to the camera shake??
Old 17 May 2004, 10:51 (Ref:973168)   #6
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also been there and done that with my EOS 10D. I presume it's either camera shake as it's harder to hold still than the SLR I had before, or I haven't worked out how to use the settings yet.
Old 17 May 2004, 10:54 (Ref:973170)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I need to go testing as much as the drivers...somewhere when shots arent critical
Old 17 May 2004, 11:07 (Ref:973182)   #8
F1Nut
Rookie

F1Nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should not get any camera shake if you use the following Rule:

100 mm zoom - Sutter speed 1/100 +

300 mm zoom - Sutter speed 1/300 +

600 mm zoom - Sutter speed 1/600 +

And so on....

Once you get the focus sorted you can try to lower your shutter speed to get the shots that show Speed! I have managed to take a shot at 300 mm zoom at 1/30. It looks good but take a lot of practice

Keep trying Guys!

Last edited by F1Nut; 17 May 2004 at 11:11.
Old 17 May 2004, 11:18 (Ref:973196)   #9
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unsharp mask will help on the shots that are close...

martin
Old 17 May 2004, 12:33 (Ref:973266)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You could get yourself a laptop to take with you to preview the first few and then make adjustments as necessary
Old 17 May 2004, 17:09 (Ref:973573)   #11
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The small LCD screen compresses your image to make it viewable. Use your image zoom feature to zoom into your image and check for sharpness. Otherwise the only way to tell is to download to a laptop or other viewing device.
Never forget #99
Old 17 May 2004, 18:14 (Ref:973646)   #12
blackfalcon
Racer

blackfalcon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a problem caused by too slow a shutter speed, or low light. I find it's best on borderline shots to zoom in with the image zoom to the smallest writing on a car. If you can't read it clearly the shot will prove to be ussless. I use the 10D
Old 17 May 2004, 22:26 (Ref:973905)   #13
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thread link below helps answer the questions raised here too...

Using the Images Stabelizer while panning?

martin
Old 18 May 2004, 07:25 (Ref:974061)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would agree with you all. Ok I don't have DSLR, but I hope to have one with in the next year or so, but I have a Fuji S602 which is as just as good IMO.

But I have lost number of that I thought oh thats a good photo and then when I have got home had a look at it and it has gone straight in bin.........