Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Nov 2004, 10:58 (Ref:1151388)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First Aid Training

I would like to be able to take a course in First Aid and to be able to be certificated at the end, for work purposes.

Does anyone on here know of any courses that are reasonably priced.

Are there any courses that can be done (Partly) via the PC (Online)?

Problem I have now is that I work until 8:30pm, therefore somewhere like the local SJA is not an option as they start at 7pm.

I know there's a few 10/10th-ers who do this sort of thing, so any help would be appreciated.

Mark
Old 12 Nov 2004, 11:00 (Ref:1151390)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
If it's for work, is it an option to get them to pay for it and do a day course? The Occupational First Aid course is between 3-5 full days depending on where you do it.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 11:04 (Ref:1151393)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Terri........it's for a job that I intend to apply for after Christmas with the Internal Ambulance service at our Hospital. My current role in Catering already has a full quota of first-aiders, so i can't get onto a course with them.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 11:12 (Ref:1151400)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
ahh ok - well there are still full time courses out there if you're prepared to give up a few holiday days. It may be an alternative if you don't have the time in the evenings. Sorry I can't help more than that.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 11:23 (Ref:1151407)   #5
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know a few years back our local St. Johns were running a course at weekends becuase there was a number of people wanting to do first aid outside of the working week and it was a way of increasing their revenue.

I would contact your local branches of St. Johns and Red cross to see what they offer

The First Aid at Work Course I done was 5 Full days so it is effectively 10 evenings anyway - starting at 8.30pm would mean they couldn't finish till 11:30pm or later!

Doug
Old 12 Nov 2004, 18:11 (Ref:1151810)   #6
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark, The HSE requirement for the FAAW cert' is a minimum of 24 Hours Tutorial, formal delivery by a licensed trainer. Your stuck with the VAS(Voluntary Aid Societies) for the cheapest option or check out someone like Wallace Cameron . There are other private companies that do it, check your Local Directory.

Alternatively there may be an MSA Licensed trainer out there who is also able to deliver FAAW training? A closed season project maybe?
Regards,

Jim Lamb
Old 12 Nov 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1151916)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Thanks Folks, some useful advice.
Basicaly, if I apply for a job with the Patient Transport Services in the Hospital where I work, a "Desired" requirement is a FA Certificate.

As a Marshal, I have quite a bit of FA knowledge already but the BMMC FA training does not give you a certificate.

Moderator: perhaps this post should now be moved to somewhere more appropriate, as it's not really a "Marshalling" matter!
Old 13 Nov 2004, 10:43 (Ref:1152304)   #8
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark, If it's only a desirable, I think that you can provide enough evidence i.e detail of your marshalling experience on your CV to prove that you have the FA Knowledge(A Certificate doesn't necessarily prove your any good at a Skill, just competent to pass the test! ).

When you apply for the Job make sure your CV/Application reflects lots of the requirements. Then if you get an Interview you can further elaborate. PTS is all about handling people (not just Physically) but dealing with them on a one-one basis, if you can demonstrate that you are capable of that kind of interaction, then you shouldn't have any worries.

If the PTS company want you, they'll provide the necessary basic training.

Good luck,

Jim Lamb
Old 13 Nov 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1152338)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Thanks Jim - that makes a lot of sense.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 14:19 (Ref:1152446)   #10
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark
I've held a First Aid at Work Certificate for years, and been on courses with St John's, Red Cross and even one at the local college. Luckily work pay, but it is not expensive. All have been in 'normal' working hours. The full course is a minimum of 4 days with the exam, and refresher is 2 days.

There is an "appointed person" now, with is half way between no knowledge, and the FAW. Would your work pay for that? They may let you pay the difference and do the FAW course.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1152517)   #11
uncle tom
Racer

Wales
Holywell
uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try your local NHS ambulance service as I have done First Aid at work with them before I joined SJA
Old 13 Nov 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1152544)   #12
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
tangoed sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A chap who has recently left the place that I work at to become an ambulance driver had be trainning with his local first reponse ambulance group. This is a group of local people in a rural area who are trainned by the ambulance people and it is free as you are a volentier. That might be worth a try as it really helped him get a job.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1154374)   #13
mark ch
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepshed
mark ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mark, you got very relevent PM
Old 18 Nov 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1157416)   #14
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Well I typed up a new CV and a covering letter and hand-delivered it to the manager of the PTS at the Hospital, telling him what FA experience I have through marshalling.

It seems I called at just the right moment - they are commissioning another ambulance to the fleet soon and I have been asked to attend an interview with them.

Thanks to all who've helped on this thread!
Old 19 Nov 2004, 13:05 (Ref:1158047)   #15
RobertNickson
Rookie

RobertNickson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Mark,

If it is for work purposes, your employer should nominate you as a first aider and put you on the relevant course for you. It should not be up to you to be trained in your own time. I think the rules are 1 trained first aider for approx 20 people.

I have just finished a course this week. Saint John's Ambulance run courses most weeks at the Countess of Chester Hospital, Winsford, Crewe, and Warrington. The course is 4 days (3 actually as the final day is testing and practicle examinations) and is extreamly intense.

The cost is £180 and should be bourne by your employer. You will be qualified for a period of 3 years after which you will need to requalify. This can either be done via a 2 day refresher course if done before your qualification period ends, or by repeating the 4 day course. I would recommend this route, as the material to be covered in 2 days, plus the retest is too much to take in.

For further information. dates etc go to

www.sja.org.uk
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:00 (Ref:1159649)   #16
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me to go and get some 1st aid training I would have to go to St Johns. Thats our amulance guys for our race track. and they have helped me on a few occasions I might add. Cost wise Im not sure.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1160767)   #17
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertNickson
I have just finished a course this week. Saint John's Ambulance run courses
Sorry, I can't let it go uncorrected, as my county officer has passed his pet hate down to my unit...

St. John Ambulance

It doesn't belong to John

Last edited by Asp; 22 Nov 2004 at 12:49.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1161593)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
I've been chatting to the guys that run our "Internal" Ambulance and they reckon that so long as I have an insight into basic first Aid, then the NHS will provide me with further courses, provided I get the job!

I have also today been accepted to attend a training and assessment day with the County Ambulance Service, followed by a driving test and interview.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1161723)   #19
RobertNickson
Rookie

RobertNickson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi ASP,

You are of course correct, quite why John would want to own all these ambulances is beyond me. Apologies.