Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 2 Apr 2009, 00:10 (Ref:2430979)   #1
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Festival of Speed 2009

I'm planning to go this year, any tips or pointers to get the most from the experience? Will be going all 3 days, so I expect that should help cover everything. Thanks for any advice.

John
Old 2 Apr 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2431323)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Friday is a good day to take in the paddocks (there are several to see) although many of the 'named' F1 drivers aren't there until Saturday and Sunday. Most will tell you a granstand seat is not worth the money as there is so much to see and do by walking around each day. Different places afford different perceptions of speed etc. There are always a lot more spectators from the startline to Molecomb so being further up the hill can sometimes be advantageous.

If possible take a shooting stick or lightweight chair as you will need somewhere to rest occasionally, the ones that fold up and fit into a shoulder bag are excellent.

Try to get there early each day thus avoiding the mad panic from 10 onwards.

If you are trvelling in each day it's often worth bringing your own food and drink as it's expensive on site.

Above all, have a fabulous time and don't forget to pack sun cream and wet weather gear, you can get all kinds of weather over the three days!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2431344)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Can't argue with what Stephen has said.

Traffic can be a nightmare in the morning, aim to be there as early as possible.

The site is much bigger and the hill much steeper than you think, so good walking shoes are essential. You'll do far more walking that at a typical race meeting and unlike most circuits there's no banking so you can't sit down and still watch the track.

There's almost no shade or shelter so if it rains prepare to get wet. The track is lined with straw bales so if like me you suffer from hayfever take some medication with you.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 00:31 (Ref:2431960)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Thanks very much, have gone for general entry tickets not grandstand as nearly twice the price did not seem much value when as you say there is a lot else to see. It looks like we might be staying near Chiddingfold, accom & access issues typical for a large regional event so no surprises there.

Good tip on the chair, I think we will pick them up over there rather than take over & back, another thing to add to the list such as prepaid mobile sim card. Hopefully hayfever will be ok, generally it is pollen that sets me off.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 06:18 (Ref:2432047)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
In the past there has been a stall selling the chairs at Goodwood but be prepared to pay a little over the odds at the venue. To give you an idea of costs, last year a burger cost around £5 if I remember correctly and you will find the cost of food about the same throughout the venue. There is a Sainsburys superstore on your way to the venue if you are travelling from the Chichester area so it may be worth popping in there on your journey for food and cold drinks. I will be marshalling at Post 1 so if you have time stop by and introduce yourself, we had an Aussie marshal team with us last yoer!
Old 6 Apr 2009, 04:15 (Ref:2434788)   #6
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Cheers Stephen.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 20:38 (Ref:2435463)   #7
bonjour
Rookie

England
Clanville, Hants.
bonjour should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi John,
All good advice, however I suggest you consider saving your money and spend it on a far better event @ Goodwood, The Revival (September 18-20); see fantastic old cars raced at speed by young and old drivers plus loads more, it’s nothing like the prima donnas you see on the TV called F1
Old 7 Apr 2009, 01:36 (Ref:2435610)   #8
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
I would like to go to the Revival also, but it's a matter of timing.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2435881)   #9
bonjour
Rookie

England
Clanville, Hants.
bonjour should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
I would like to go to the Revival also, but it's a matter of timing.

O well may be next year, at the FOS there’s one place you must visit, the top of the hill, this is one of the best places to take your photo’s, there’s transport to the top if you get to tried of walking also you’ll find the paddock for rally car’s is at the top the hill.

Please introduce yourself to the marshalling team controlling the top paddock/turn around area for the cars/bike etc which have come up the hill, I’ll be there, enjoy the FOS.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2436343)   #10
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
I should have mentioned we are planning to go to the Silverstone Classic/Festival so will get a racing fix there. Maybe not next year, it has taken quite a few to get around to this trip, but hopefully wont be as long until the next one.
Old 27 May 2009, 01:31 (Ref:2469927)   #11
MadDog
Rookie

MadDog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, if you're still after accommodation, I have been let down by a friend and have therefore booked 2 rooms in a B&B very close to the circuit but only have use for one. It's literally less than 5 mins from the gate. PM me if you're interested
Old 27 May 2009, 03:10 (Ref:2469943)   #12
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Unfortunately not MadDog, that sounds ideal but I think we booked accom about a month ago.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2489251)   #13
Azza
Rookie

Azza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im thinking of going to goodwood on the sunday. is it hard to get to via train from london? or is there a bus or something that goes directly there?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2493804)   #14
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got two tickets for Friday if anybody wants them. Now testing at Snett thursday and can't do both. PM me and I'll post them today. Gratis.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2493882)   #15
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gone
Old 30 Jun 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2493908)   #16
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Gone
Your generousity reminds me, that many years ago, I was inline waiting to pay in a Service Station in Surrey, when an old chap went up to the counter and said..."My cars broken down, I was on my way to Goodwood, would anybody like my tickets"?...Well! I bit his hand off! My kids were delighted when I returned to the car.

We've been fans ever since, one son, now grow a bit has even trundled a few nice cars up the Hill himself since.

One year, I overheard one old chap muttering to himself in the paddock..."Oh, I do hope Heaven is like this"
Doubt I'll get 'there', so, Goodwood it'll have to be then...again!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 20:49 (Ref:2494126)   #17
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Nice story.

The Festival is a great event and I've been a few times now and just hate wasting tickets.

Standing on the bank at Madgwick as an 11 year old watching the 1963 Tourist Trophy was what started my addiction. Now I'm feeling old.....
Old 1 Jul 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2494479)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Will 'one son' be there this year Rennen?

I'm on Post 1 so please drop by if you get the chance.