Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jan 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1494611)   #1
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Most Crucial Race Of Last Season?

In my view, It has to be San Marino. Pretty much the start of McLaren's reliablity issues in a mega quick car, 15+ Seconds ahead after 8 laps, and Alonso's great victory proving he could win the championship after recieving relentless pressure from Schumacher on the last 10 laps and holding him off for the win. It was then that people realy began to think Alonso could win the Title IMO. What do you think?
Old 4 Jan 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1494798)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As far as I was aware San Marino was worth 10 points like the other races?

However the big lead after this race meant McLaren had to go for it.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1494808)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hockenheim, Nurburgring and Imola all saw Alonso extend his lead by 10 when it could have been reduced by 2, but I think Hockenheim was the real killer, as the McLaren had been reliable for a few races (albeit not for the whole weekend) at that point.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1494842)   #4
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nurburgring. It highlighted how good Raikkonen was, and him losing it prevented him from being chmpion, imo.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1494844)   #5
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Nurburgring really showcased what McLarens season was all about. Extremely quick car but highly delicate and unreliable. Both drivers making costly mistakes and also finding themselves caught up in the errors of other racers.

Alonso clinching the title was the most crucial though.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 19:08 (Ref:1494985)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, IMHO, the answer to the question, as it has been phrased, is all 19 were of equal importance.

However, to respond in the spirit of the question, as I have taken to be at least, I am not sure that one can really be singled out. Hrrrmmm.....

....if I was forced too....

...I will say Hockenheim - for the time being, at least.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1494999)   #7
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wherever the suspension collapsed on Kimi's car (the official F1 site doesn't appear to say). A definite 12-point turnaround and a crushing blow for Kimi's hopes.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1495006)   #8
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Well, IMHO, the answer to the question, as it has been phrased, is all 19 were of equal importance.
Wrong! Indy was irrelevant insofar as concerns the fight between the Michelin runners.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1495011)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It affected their running positions in qualfying for the next race.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1495020)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the early races are what cost Mclaren. They were setting competitive race pace laps, but were suffering in qualifying. I remember KR saying on several occassions that they needed more pace in qualifying to capitalize on their race pace. If they wouldn't have been in a hole to start with they could have took both titles.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1495074)   #11
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i was under the impression that i had learned how to word things on this forum but obviously some people like to have digs. Im just trying to start an off-season discussion. It came about because i was watching the season review there the other day and San Marino was in "MY OPINION" a defining race of the season. 1) Alonso's great performance which was carried on throughout the year with many great races, it was also a race when McLaren and Raikkonen began to flounder, it was a race that pointed out serious Michelin domination with the exception of Schumacher's ferrari.
To me it set a trend which carried on throughout the year and more than most it proved Alonso could get the job done it the most extreme circumstances.

I was only wondering if you had views like mine on other races. ITS OBVIOUS ALL 19 WERE CRUCIAL IN TERMS OF CHAMPIONSHIP
Old 4 Jan 2006, 23:51 (Ref:1495159)   #12
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two crucial 2005 races, IMHO

IMHO the crucial races of 2005 were two:

- Nürburgring reflected the situation of both title contenders: Alonso with his reliability and Raikkonen with his bravery.
- And Indy reflected the political conflict at the inner places of F1 world. It resembled me the FISA-FOCA war of 1980-82.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 00:01 (Ref:1495163)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1SPECIAL
Wherever the suspension collapsed on Kimi's car (the official F1 site doesn't appear to say). A definite 12-point turnaround and a crushing blow for Kimi's hopes.
It was Nürburgring. Results show Kimi classified in 10th or 11th, one lap down.

I think Hockenheim was quite a blow. It was later on the season and it was just so... He had kind of provoked the suspension failure at Nürburgring, not so at Hockenheim.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 00:03 (Ref:1495164)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola
IMHO the crucial races of 2005 were two:

- Nürburgring reflected the situation of both title contenders: Alonso with his reliability and Raikkonen with his bravery.
- And Indy reflected the political conflict at the inner places of F1 world. It resembled me the FISA-FOCA war of 1980-82.
This is very true too. Indy reminded us that anything can happen in F1 and it usually does, in the most ugly of ways. We're in 2005 but things like that still happen...
Old 5 Jan 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1495290)   #15
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of the title race, Nurburgring killed off any chance of it being close.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1495320)   #16
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza put the final stake through the heart of Mclaren's title challenge. Although, Nurburgring summed up the season in many ways.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 14:57 (Ref:1495587)   #17
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmifsud
Monza put the final stake through the heart of Mclaren's title challenge. Although, Nurburgring summed up the season in many ways.
I think Nurburgring was the vital. If kimi won that day, he would have gained 12 points over Alonso, thus making the season easier for FA.

By the way, anyone seen the Official f1 review? There is a nice shot of the tyres degrading because of the suspension and a nice front view of the actual failure.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1495797)   #18
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltafan
I think Nurburgring was the vital. If kimi won that day, he would have gained 12 points over Alonso, thus making the season easier for FA.

Actually, I'd say Hockenheim was way more crucial. You could sense Kimi's title hopes disappearing that very day - after that race he was 32 points down with just 7 races left. If he'd won that race, he could have only been 10 points behind Fernando going into Turkey, and had a real shot at winning the thing.

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 8 Jan 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1497323)   #19
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hockenheim for me. If Kimi won 2 points instead of losing 10, McLaren wouldn't have to push their car and driver beyond limits.
Old 8 Jan 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1497371)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McLaren were already pushing beyond the limit by Hockenheim - and all because of those early races.