Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 30 Mar 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1565458)   #1
Allan Craighead
Rookie

Canada
Cambridge, Canada
Allan Craighead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Class descriptions

Hi all,

I'm currently working on descriptions for various race classes and would like some feedback. Below are the descriptions for GP2, F3, WSR, FRenault and FBMW. They are meant to give a brief synopsis of the class and will be accompanied by a photo of car. Feel free to give me corrections, additions, comments.

GP2

The newest sophisticated open-wheel class, GP2 was introduced in 2005 as a modern replacement for the Formula 3000 class. Raced solely in the professional ranks, GP2 is the official support series of Formula 1.

Built by Italian manufacturer Dallara, the GP2 chassis is a carbon-fiber monocoque, featuring advanced aerodynamics, a six-speed semi-automatic gearbox, slick tires and powered by a 580 horsepower Renault V8.

Racing on road course GP2 cars reach speeds upwards of 180 mph.

World Series by Renault

Part of an internal Renault racing ladder system, World Series By Renault was created in 2003. (Is this date correct?)

Like several of the classes listed, the World Series by Renault class is currently only raced professionally in Europe.

A step up from the Formula Renault car, the WSR is a carbon-fiber monocoque car powered by a Renault V6. Producing 425 horsepower the engine propels the WSR car to a top speed of 170 mph.

Formula 3

Originally introduced just after World War II, Formula 3 at the time featured affordable 500 cc motor bike engines and was titled Formula 3 as it was two steps below Formula 1. Fading briefly in the mid to late 1950’s, the class was reintroduced in the late 1960’s.

Over the years the class has had 1-liter, 1.6-liter and 2-liter engines. The current 2-liter engine with restricted air intakes package, has been in effect since the late 1970’s. Current cars feature a carbon-fiber tub and extensive aerodynamics package.

While never popular in North America, Formula 3 continues to be one of the premier classes in Europe, with several country Championships and a European championship for the past several years.

Formula 3 cars are capable of speeds in excess of 170 mph.

Formula Renault

One of the best selling formula cars in the world, Formula Renault was created in 1971. Receiving extensive support from Renault, the class is raced throughout the world both in the amateur and pro ranks.

Originally a tube-framed car, the current Formula Renault is carbon-fiber car, with front and rear wings and a six-speed sequential gearbox. Utilizing a 2.0-liter Renault engine, approximately 150 horsepower is created.

Formula Renault cars regularly reach top-speeds of 150 mph.

Formula BMW

The Formula BMW class began in 2002 in Germany following 10-year association between BMW and the Formula ADAC Championship.

Raced solely in four professional championships (Germany, USA, UK and Asia), the Formula BMW is built by French manufacturer Mygale.

The FB2 chassis features a carbon-fiber tub, front and rear wings and is powered by a BMW K1200RS motorcycle engine.

With 140 horsepower the 1001 lbs car is capable of reaching a top speed of up to 140 mph.

Cheers,

Al Craighead
Old 30 Mar 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1565491)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regarding GP2 - the official power outputt for 2005 was 580bhp but several drivers stated it was really more or less 600bhp, if not a little more and now thanks to some engine updates I would imagine the cars are producing anything up to 610bhp, also the cars are capable of speeds of around 200-205mph at a circuit like Monza I would think, the old F3000 cars with 450bhp were hitting 190mph on the old Hockenheim circuit, if a old F3000 car with 450bhp can hit 190mph I would think that a GP2 car with around 600bhp would be capable of 200mph+.

Also, WSR cars I beleive have been updated since 2005 and now have 450bhp, I think the official site just hasnt been updated yet. Also I would say that the cars are capable of around 190mph rather than 170mph, they are about the same speed as the old F3000 machines which were capable of around 190mph.

You say that Formula 3 cars are capable of speeds in excess of 170mph which is true, just about, but you also say that WSR cars are capable of a top speed of 170mph - WSR cars have around 150bhp more than a Formula 3 car, last year F3 cars were producing around 275bhp.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 21:43 (Ref:1565533)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
worth checking those facts with the relevant series first, that's an awful lot of speculation there.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1565539)   #4
dasc04
Rookie

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dasc04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A formula Renault car has 192bhp not "approximately 150bhp."
Old 30 Mar 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1565559)   #5
Allan Craighead
Rookie

Canada
Cambridge, Canada
Allan Craighead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the input thus far.

As we all know horsepower varies from engine to engine, so I'm just looking to be close. When possible I got the info from the series themselves.

Quick question, is the 190 horsepower for Frenault's new? If so, when and does it apply to just the pro ranks or all the cars.

Thanks.

Al Craighead.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1565599)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Regarding World Series:

World Series was originally created as Euro Open by Nissan in 1998 by a Spanish promotion structure called RPM Racing. Due to their sponsorship, the series was eventually called Open Fortuna, Open Movistar and Open Telefónica. At these times, chassis were built by Coloni Motorsport and were fitted with 2.0 Nissan engines.

In 2002 the series were rebranded as World Series by Nissan with a new chassis design by Dallara and a new Nissan 3.0 V6 engine. A junior series mantained old Coloni chassis for a year, but they were replaced by Dallara-AER cars in 2003.

In 2004, RPM did an agreement with Renault to incorporate World Series into Renault formula ladder system, ditching the junior series in favour of Formula Renault 2000 at the end of that year. Then in 2005 the major series were renamed as World Series by Renault, name that still holds today.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 23:43 (Ref:1565618)   #7
dasc04
Rookie

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dasc04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Craighead
Thanks for the input thus far.

As we all know horsepower varies from engine to engine, so I'm just looking to be close. When possible I got the info from the series themselves.

Quick question, is the 190 horsepower for Frenault's new? If so, when and does it apply to just the pro ranks or all the cars.

Thanks.

Al Craighead.

The current FR2000 cars all have the clio sport engine with 192 bhp.

The 2004 update included this engine. Pre 2004 engine was a little less ( I think) but I'm not sure. Its always been the clio sport engine since 2000. Pre 2000 spaceframe chassis were 2lt 8valve renault laguna engines. Find out what the 2002/2003 clio sport road car had as a bhp and that should give an idea.

Don't actually have pro and amateur ranks in Formula Renault. You have national series and a euroseries but they are not more professional than the other. No one is getting paid to drive them. They bring they're own money.