Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:50 (Ref:1525052)   #1
arthurive
Rookie

United States
Michigan, USA
arthurive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso commenting on Rossi

"Until we see him race we won't know his true potential, but it will be very difficult for him," he said. "He might finish fifth or even get on the podium some time, but I could do the same on the bikes if I was given a bit of time to practise."
Full link:
http://www.crash.net/

Oh Fernando! That bike racing stuff is a piece of cake eh?
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1525053)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
haha I love and support F1 as much as the next die-hard fan, but I think he might be a bit off with the F1 to Bikes comment... lol

Selby
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1525080)   #3
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quality. I admire his confidence. but driving an F1 must be easier than riding a Moto GP bike. not least because it hurts less when you mess up.

If I was Rossi I'd issue a challenge...
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1525087)   #4
GeeRam
Racer

England
London, UK.
GeeRam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurive
"He might finish fifth or even get on the podium some time, but I could do the same on the bikes if I was given a bit of time to practise."
Yeah right....

I was quite warming to the guy until seeing that.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1525102)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
O'dear he thinks Rossi couldn't do what he does in F1 yet he thinks he can do what Rossi does in MotoGP. Where is the respect? Pretty arogant lol.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1525106)   #6
GeeRam
Racer

England
London, UK.
GeeRam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
O'dear he thinks Rossi couldn't do what he does in F1 yet he thinks he can do what Rossi does in MotoGP. Where is the respect? Pretty arogant lol.
Yeah, his ego writing cheques his ability couldn't cash......
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1525111)   #7
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
wi11iamm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice Top Gun quote there GeeRam

Luke he isnt saying that he could do what Rossi does in MotoGP. He is implying that with time and experiance he could do what Rossi has been doing in an F1 car. Not sure wether I agree with that, but you missed his point.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1525118)   #8
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He is certainly not lacking confidence but it's pretty easy to issue a statement that will never be tested.

And with that in mind let me also say that with practice I believe I would have made an excellent WW2 fighter pilot....Tally Ho
Old 17 Feb 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1525119)   #9
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see a one-on-one grudge match here. How about 10 laps in equal F1 cars, plus 10 laps on equal MotoGP bikes. Lowest total time wins. Alonzo would get spanked!
Old 17 Feb 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1525120)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Right on Williamm.

He didn't look arrogant to me. He's saying that the transition wouldn't be so easy as one could think, on both directions.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1525155)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This can be easily blown out of proportion. FA is the WDC now so he will be in the spotlight and everything he says will be picked apart and scrutinized. However, he is just saying that he feels jumping into F1 is not as easy as Rossi may think. He said this after running with him on track in practice. I am sure he has seen some of weaknesses.

Rossi is the best I have ever seen on two wheels. IMO far better than MS ever was in an F1 car. I would imagine the most difficult thing would be for VR to figure out the limits of an F1 car especially in high speed turns.

If it was down to guts and the comptitive spirit alone I would think Rossi would beat most on track. In fact I feel he is far more motivated and daring that Alonso ever has been in F1.

The transition to two wheels must be more difficult. I doubt FA would ever be able to place in the top ten on a Yamaha. Rossi beat the best on inferrior equipment. Its more than anyone in F1 at present can say... and I cant stand VR!
Old 17 Feb 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1525161)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i agree with wi11iamm and Bononi on this one.

maybe i just like Alonso, but im inclined to believe that he means that once you have proven you have skills at one form of racing, with time and practice you can apply those skills to other forms of racing and possibly see some measure of success. and that if its true for Rossi it must also be true for him.

thanks for the link Arthurive as i also liked Alonso's comments on time being wasted by Ferrari for not better using limited testing time with a more experienced driver. good stuff.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1525162)   #13
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap
The transition to two wheels must be more difficult. I doubt FA would ever be able to place in the top ten on a Yamaha. Rossi beat the best on inferrior equipment. Its more than anyone in F1 at present can say... and I cant stand VR!
Second every word, accept, I like Rossi
Old 17 Feb 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1525163)   #14
Hitech
Rookie

England
UK, South Staffordshire
Hitech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A mate of mine moved in to racing sports cars after racing bikes for many years. He was astouded how different a pukka racing car was from driving a quick road car, chalk and cheese he said. The racebikes he rode, while admittedly not GP bikes, he described as not hugely dissimilar from quick road bikes.
So if Alonso is familiar with riding a quick road bike he may adapt more quickly than some people are giving him credit for. But of course it is all speculation and part of the pre-season psyching process.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1525208)   #15
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's not write off Alonso so quickly here, he's basically saying that with a bit of patience he could be near the pace for MotoGP.

If Repsol Honda decided to test Alonso over the space of a year like Ferrari are doing with Rossi is it so far fetched that Fernando might be close to the pace? I think he might have a shot given a full chance to adjust. Plus he's Spanish and those kids are born on two wheels.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1525240)   #16
coldtyre
Rookie

France
Paris
coldtyre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason car drivers are slower on a bike than bikers on a car is the psychological barrier

In a car, there is no apprehension to go fast immediately. On a bike, unless you began young, you'll have difficulties to lean the bike and brake late. But once you have passed the psychological barrier, F1 driver/bike and biker/F1 would give the same result (in matter of time)

However, I doubt any champion can reach the last 1/100s of sec on another vehicle than his. Hill or Surtees were not the fastest, Rossi would'nt be else.

Anyway, this guy (like Schumi) is gifted. They seem to be able to succed in everything they touch (just watch Michael on a soccer field... )
Old 17 Feb 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1525340)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Right on Williamm.

He didn't look arrogant to me. He's saying that the transition wouldn't be so easy as one could think, on both directions.
I was thinking it would be the other way round. Hard for road drivers going into motorbikes and easier for motorbikers going into road racing as everyone drives and Rossi has done some road / rally and stuff before and most have..
Old 17 Feb 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1525368)   #18
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Luke do you read what other people say?

Bononi said it would be hard in both directions.

However I agree with your point. On average it maybe easier for people to go from cars to bikes.

You cant comment on Alonso's paticular case, until you know his experience on 2 wheels. Whats saying he couldnt.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1525377)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Indeed, there is nothing saying Ferando couldn't cut it in MotoGP but to me the logic is that it's harder..F1 cars are after all much easier to drive these days and I asume motorbikes are still difficult and heros in my opinion...
Old 17 Feb 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1525380)   #20
alf
Racer

alf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
why do people like Alonso feel that they have to have something to say on the subject anyway? what can his comments add or take from the situation? Valentino is testing a Ferrari for 2 reasons 1) to see if he is any cop, and to my mind he would need to do a few years of "skint" racing to ever have the determination and ruthlesness that a topdriver coming through the ranks would have, the hunger just couldn't be there though i dont doubt for a second that he would give a good account of himself. Untill you have been a racing driver who regularly comes in the the top 6 and suddenly finds your self ina race winning scenario you can never immagine what it feels like to scrape that last extra something from your abilities, ie to put your neck on the block for a win, you will never be able to know "just what it takes to win " ( in the respective formula)
2) this is a big publicity strategy for Ferrari, and Italy, everyone loves Rossi. he was great on the honda and then whent to the long suffering yamaha and won out of the box...... bravisimo heros don't come any more lifelike than VR As for ferrari wasting time?/ does he forget that Ferrari dont have sponsors behind them, they have a COUNTRY behind them!! I think they can afford it Fernando. go away and be a nce champion, no one like a big 'ed
Old 17 Feb 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1525383)   #21
alf
Racer

alf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I bet you a tenner he couldn't EVER come near to Rossi's times and I do mean EVER EVER EVER!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wi11iamm
Luke do you read what other people say?

Bononi said it would be hard in both directions.

However I agree with your point. On average it maybe easier for people to go from cars to bikes.

You cant comment on Alonso's paticular case, until you know his experience on 2 wheels. Whats saying he couldnt.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1525391)   #22
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Quote:
Originally Posted by alf
why do people like Alonso feel that they have to have something to say on the subject anyway? what can his comments add or take from the situation? Valentino is testing a Ferrari for 2 reasons 1) to see if he is any cop, and to my mind he would need to do a few years of "skint" racing to ever have the determination and ruthlesness that a topdriver coming through the ranks would have, the hunger just couldn't be there though i dont doubt for a second that he would give a good account of himself. Untill you have been a racing driver who regularly comes in the the top 6 and suddenly finds your self ina race winning scenario you can never immagine what it feels like to scrape that last extra something from your abilities, ie to put your neck on the block for a win, you will never be able to know "just what it takes to win " ( in the respective formula)
2) this is a big publicity strategy for Ferrari, and Italy, everyone loves Rossi. he was great on the honda and then whent to the long suffering yamaha and won out of the box...... bravisimo heros don't come any more lifelike than VR As for ferrari wasting time?/ does he forget that Ferrari dont have sponsors behind them, they have a COUNTRY behind them!! I think they can afford it Fernando. go away and be a nce champion, no one like a big 'ed
Alonso comments because he is just responding to a question. The media then use this and blow it out of all proportion.

Why does Alonso feel he has something to say? Why do you feel you have to comment? IMO Alonso is much more qualified to comment. I find it interesting (although I do not necessarily agree) reading comments made by drivers as they are the ones that are involved. They have as much right as anyone to comment.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 22:14 (Ref:1525393)   #23
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Quote:
Originally Posted by alf
I bet you a tenner he couldn't EVER come near to Rossi's times and I do mean EVER EVER EVER!!
Again you have mis-read what I am saying. Im not putting forward my case for Alonso.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 05:08 (Ref:1525477)   #24
shugruah
Rookie

Portugal
Porto
shugruah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course that for Rossi his easier to make the transition from bikes to car...... I bet that Rossi spends more time in a car everyday than in a bike....... Alonso, probably the closest thing to a motor bike that he drove was... some friend`s bmx!!!
Old 18 Feb 2006, 06:46 (Ref:1525485)   #25
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbikeplanet.com
I think all MotoGP fans will agree that while what Alonso has said may hint that he's had a lobotomy, at the same time it's actually actually quite true. He would podium in MotoGP if someone gave him a bit of time to practice (you know, fifteen minutes or so). He might even win.

Just as long as the rest of the MotoGP grid were held in the pitlane at gunpoint.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Feb/060217a.htm

Obviously there will be large ammounts of chest beating over this by fans of bother series but, until someone digs up the times from Schumacher's Ducati test no-one can totall prove who'd be faster or what ever.

But my view is this, and I agree with the last post: Rossi spends more time in a car then Alonso spends on a bike. Also the bike series is more reliant on Rider skill than driver skill in F1. Mick Doohan put it at (I belive) 50-50 in MotoGP where as in F1 he said it was about 90-10.

Edit: And what I mean by that is if Rossi went to Ferarri, and the car was as good as in 2002, he might do quiet well. But if FA went to say Honda, he'd be on a bike the same or there abouts as say 8 or so other riders all who've been riding since they were 8 years old.