Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 26 Jul 2007, 07:22 (Ref:1973626)   #1
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
gregt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralt RT34

Hi All

In 2004 I purchased a Ralt RT34 from Argentina and have been searching the history of the car since then.
I eventually found the first South American owner, Fabian Malta, who advised me that he bought the car from West Surrey Racing and it had been driven in the British F3 Championship by Mika Hakkinen.
I am very keen to verify that this is indeed the car that Hakkinen used to win the 1990 F3 title.
Is there anyone out there who has any information on these cars, ie. chassis numbers, gearbox numbers, photos, log books etc.

Thanks in anticipation

Gregg
Old 26 Jul 2007, 11:14 (Ref:1973830)   #2
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregt
Hi All

In 2004 I purchased a Ralt RT34 from Argentina and have been searching the history of the car since then.
I eventually found the first South American owner, Fabian Malta, who advised me that he bought the car from West Surrey Racing and it had been driven in the British F3 Championship by Mika Hakkinen.
I am very keen to verify that this is indeed the car that Hakkinen used to win the 1990 F3 title.
Is there anyone out there who has any information on these cars, ie. chassis numbers, gearbox numbers, photos, log books etc.

Thanks in anticipation

Gregg
Gregg, if you post what chassis number etc that your car carries that would be a good starting point.

Old 27 Jul 2007, 03:49 (Ref:1974513)   #3
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
Thanks Steve,

But unfortunately the car has no chassis ID plate. I have been trying to extract same from from my seller but no luck to date.

Gregg
Old 27 Jul 2007, 05:34 (Ref:1974529)   #4
jebracing
Rookie

United States
USA
jebracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RT34

By chance did your car have a Renault engine and race in the Formula Super Renault series?
Old 27 Jul 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1974983)   #5
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
G'Day Je racing,

You are absolutely correct, originally had a Mugen F3 & raced in Sudam F3 by Fabian Malta then converted to Renault in Argentina and last raced by Carlos Arias in 2000 from whom I bought it as a roller.

Regards
Gregg

Last edited by gregt; 27 Jul 2007 at 21:11.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 21:25 (Ref:1974989)   #6
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so greg what motor will u fit?
Mugen f3
if u need 1 let me know
i have some rt34 parts not many big bits have a few brackets pushrods 1 front wishbone
the car will have a gearbox number stampe don the top of diff area that may assit in chassi number
the car is highly likely to have been a UK car
If you can trace the previous owners/drivers form results or get fotos something will get thrown up
if u want parts info etc PM me
Old 28 Jul 2007, 03:03 (Ref:1975106)   #7
jebracing
Rookie

United States
USA
RT34 Chassis Plate

Gregg,
You may try looking on the dash bulkhead below the opening for your legs. If you have your extinguisher there with a closing panel it may be hiding it. You can also look for your arch motors number on the front bulkhead near the anti roll bar mounting. It will look like AM-90-XX in ordinary stamped numbers.

My RT33 (a FSR from Argentina) had no chassis plate either and through this site (Steve Wilkinson and Adam Ferrington) I was able to track some of its history.

By chance is your car white with a white roll hoop? Did you get the ralt parts book?

JB
Old 28 Jul 2007, 11:22 (Ref:1975246)   #8
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
G'Day Jebracing,
Thanks for the tips, I will check out your suggestions tommorrow.
Yes, my car was white with a white roll hoop, and no I did not get a Ralt parts book. Do you have access to one?
I have attached a pic of the car as last raced.

I have emailed West Surrey Racing in the hope that they may have some archived records but have not yet received a response.

Thanks
Gregg

Last edited by gregt; 28 Jul 2007 at 11:27.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 11:40 (Ref:1975253)   #9
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
G'Day Driftwood,

I originally bought a Speiss VW but will sell that and fit a Mugen. Will need a fitting kit and as the car has been updated to RT35 sidepods and twin radiators am also looking for the parts to restore it to original high/low pods and single side radiator. Will PM you.

Regards
Gregg
Old 28 Jul 2007, 11:45 (Ref:1975258)   #10
driftwood
Veteran

1 i have rt35 & 36 parts book- rt34 is a different car that looks the same as rt33 or a 35 ie front wishbones are differnt in the spherical housing yet look the same and rear floors look the same but are slightly different- i have some 33 floors with some effort they could fit 34 35 cars
2 bodywork no idea where moulds are i knew of a man who said he was getting them! personally dont waste yr $ swapping bodywork

3 bellhousing oiltanks vary for the different engines i just converted my mugen to take vaixhall xe engine ( wish i had saved the $ and fitted mugen cost me FAR more than i expected !!)
if u have the VW is it electric or mechanical injection?

Ive just looked and see yr a sheep fornicator- why not fit the vw and do Oz F2 ? i know Oz run historic cars upto pre 85 apart form racing in Oz F3 where would you race the car?

Last edited by driftwood; 28 Jul 2007 at 11:49.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 13:16 (Ref:1975279)   #11
jebracing
Rookie

United States
USA
RT34

Gregg,
I remember seeing your car for sale. Carlos still has the dallara, that he advertized with the ralt, for sale.

I have a little bit of factory info including som on all 3 fitting kits that I can share with you. Send me a PM and I'll see if I can get it copied . I tried to buy the RT35 info from Kevan (AHEM) but he never got around to copying it to sell it to me (if I were in his position, it would not be a priority either). Through other channels I was able to get some of it and it is useful due the number of carry over parts. Still looking for a 33 or 34 version, not sure if it ever existed though.

Like you I have been looking for some std body work (the Bruce Cary/Bowman bodywork in my case with the mid height pods on both sides) but now have RT35 bodywork like all FSR cars.

BTW the Renault engine is pretty nice. Good power & torque, low cost, robust and not fiddly. A trio of guys I know over here have Novamotor Alfa's and can barely keep them running (and they are italian!).

This is my car as it is today and as it was in FSR

JB
Attached Thumbnails
ralt_blackhawk1.JPG   Formula-Renault-2.jpg  

Last edited by jebracing; 28 Jul 2007 at 13:21.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 13:46 (Ref:1975292)   #12
driftwood
Veteran

i actually handled yr ralt manual the other day found under a pile of papers
when is the wife in uk next? or I can post to u
im moving workshop in the winter but im not taking the ralt stuff with me take up too much space for so few orders/enquiries yet so many where built !
i have some rt33 34 35 belhousings here cant recall which motor
Old 28 Jul 2007, 21:03 (Ref:1975441)   #13
jebracing
Rookie

United States
USA
UK

Kevan,

I'll be over on the 7th & 8th of August up in Birmingham. Hectic schedule so no time to come down and look through bits but would be interested in some of what you have. Maybe you can mail the manual to my hotel?

Last edited by jebracing; 28 Jul 2007 at 21:05.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 01:24 (Ref:1975522)   #14
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
G'Day Jebracing,

Nice car, are you still running the Renault engine? Thanks for the kind offer of the factory info. I will PM you.

Not a marking anywhere on my car, nor can I see any sign of where a chassis plate may have been attached anywhere in the cockpit or on the dash bulkhead. No holes, missing rivets etc. at all. Only marking I have found is F3-MA-0367 on the steering column support bracket which I suspect is a part number.

If this car is indeed Hakkinen's it took a quite hard knock on the left front in Macau and the front panel with the stamping may have been replaced (pure conjecture).

Regards
Gregg
Old 29 Jul 2007, 01:42 (Ref:1975529)   #15
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
G'day Driftwood,

No, you've got it wrong. New Zealanders like cuddling sheep. Aussies like their Koalas soft and friendly, but Tasmanians like nothing better that our own sisters! Also we have two heads which should throw up a challenge for the Hans device people!

The VW I have is a electronic injection unit.

If the car turns out to be Hakkinen's I would like to restore it to his original as raced specs. It does not yet qualify with Aus. historic but it will sooner or later and I have a Dallara F389 to play with as well.

Regards
Gregg
Old 29 Jul 2007, 09:35 (Ref:1975655)   #16
driftwood
Veteran

welsh ozzies kiwis sheep all the same and as fr your sisters we have places like that here in the Uk my mate reckons its Medway towns in Kent but it could be cornwall or the shetland islands

I have the number for Mika H car on file as i saw 2 cars in japan and uk both "sayng hakinen" but i had plate fotos and had them ruled out

did u ask dick bennets at west surrey who he sold his cars to if not i can ask from this end
form yr end u need to ask the argie boys who ha dteh car and when to trace backwards maybe WSR sold 2 cars to the sudam series

The M3 part number is the column item number
Pm me and i can mail u what the plate should look like it should be under the dash under where u put yr legs through the tub to the pedals
Old 29 Jul 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1975747)   #17
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
Thanks Driftwood

I emailed WSR a week ago asking exactly that and have not received a response. Maybe the are too busy to worry about joe blogs from the other side of the world.

Fabian Malta raced the car to 7th. in Sudam F3 in 1993 and 3rd in 1994.
will ask him exactly when he bought the car from WSR. Language barrier a bit of a problem.

Your help with Dick Bennets would be much appreciated. It's who you know in this world.

I have removed the dash and had a really good look around. There is definitely no plate anywhere, also could not find any stamping on the gearbox casing. Maybe the car really belonged to the CIA!

Regards
Gregg

Last edited by gregt; 29 Jul 2007 at 12:57.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1975763)   #18
driftwood
Veteran

http://www.freetranslation.com/
use this write in australian use basic words no technical stuffthen paste & copy to australian to argentinian it will do a basic conversion

i always email both languages in case they get poor translation but find someone who speaks asutralian

get me their tel no i will get my Brazlian f3 boys to call and speak to them as well
Old 30 Jul 2007, 12:02 (Ref:1976330)   #19
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
Ralt RT34

G'Day Driftwood

I am emailing both WSR and Fabian Malta tonight. Fabian runs a touring car team in TC2000 in Argentina called Malta Advanced Racing and his number is (54-11) 4237-2316

regards
Gregg
Old 30 Jul 2007, 12:39 (Ref:1976367)   #20
driftwood
Veteran

I will ask my man here to speak with WSR he works with them
man in scotland thinks he hasa WSR car
i await chassi # but i think its bowman carlin car
another mate has rt34 see foto of plate i sent to u
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1977193)   #21
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
Thanks Driftwood

Regards
Gregg
Old 4 Apr 2008, 05:52 (Ref:2169220)   #22
TroyC
Rookie

TroyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Gregg

I am in Brisbane and I too have an ex West Surrey Racing RT34. Under the some of the panels were sprayed with WSR stencil. I traced mine and it was the Japanes Drivers (LLeyton House Car) in the same season as yours must be!

If I can help or anything please let me know

Regards

Troy
Old 4 Apr 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2169311)   #23
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
Hi Troy
I have been trying to trace you for some time. I knew about you from race results on the internet. My trail has gone cold at the moment with no responses to my emails to my Argentine contacts and nor from WSR. It is frustrating with no markings at all on the car, only a fuel cell number. I am going to UK for Festival of Speed in July and will call at WSR and try to talk to them then. Although JEBracing has been a terrific help. Does your car have the original asymetric bodywork? RT34's are not exactly thick on the ground down this way. I will private message you with my contact details as I would very much like to get in touch with you.
Regards
Gregg
Old 4 Apr 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2169336)   #24
driftwood
Veteran

send me chassis number details and fotos of the cars
my friend deals with WSR can get answers next week
i have rt34 wishbone to sell and misc other items no lists poss wing elements end plates etc
Old 4 Apr 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2169455)   #25
gregt
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
Hello again Driftwood

My car has no chassis plate nor AM number and no number stamped on the gearbox casing. the only way I can trace it's history is via the string of ownership which now stands as: Me(Australia) - Carlos Arias(Argentina) - Fabian Malta(Argentina) - WSR???? I need to establish the link between Fabian Malta and WSR and to verify whose chassis it was.

Regards

Gregg