Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Apr 2001, 10:03 (Ref:82997)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has been plenty of daring dicing this year and Senna, Prost, Mansell, Schumacher and Villeneuve have all done some seriously silly things in racecars in the past. But what I would like to know is:

what are the BEST and WORST overtaking moves you've seen?
Old 21 Apr 2001, 12:01 (Ref:83034)   #2
SH0077
Rookie

SH0077 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never been a Mika Hakkinen fan but that move he pulled on Schumacher at Spa last year would have to be one of the greatest I have seen. The worst, thats easy JPM on Jos the Boss. Silly bugger braked to early, bring it on...
Old 21 Apr 2001, 15:41 (Ref:83118)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think we have seen 2 of the best moves this year and both by the same man...Montoya's move on Schumacher in Brazil was good and proved he is willing to take a chance but it was still a text book slip stream and dive under brakes move..but then at Imola when he past the Jordan (think it was Trulli) into turn One on the outside ..that was simply awesome.

also Nigel mansells move on gehard berger at the "Peraltada" corner in mexico back in 89 or 90 was breathtaking. and Mika's move at Spa last year was quite good.

silliest of all time..hhhmmmm...Eddie irvine Brazil 1994...you do have mirrors Eddie and you are allowed to use them.

when Ralf and Fisichella ran into each other in the Jordans back in 97 and of course Michaels 2 moves at Adelaide in 94 on Hill and then on Jacwues at Jerez in 97..silly boy
Old 21 Apr 2001, 16:00 (Ref:83123)   #4
Faster
Racer

Faster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can never forget the awesome overtaking by Piquet over Senna at the end of the straight in Hungaroring, ON THE OUTSIDE (!!!), back in 86. It seemed like kart racing, not F1. Simply brilliant!
Also I could mention the several overtakings between Gilles Villeneuve and René Arnoux in Dijon-79. But those were not overtakings, those were racing brought to the state of ART: two brave drivers fighting each others for several laps on the edge, but NEVER trespassing the limits of sportivity.

Worst overtaking? Honestly, I don't see how overtaking can be awful. Maybe those when two drivers pit at the same lap and the one behind leaves the pit lane ahead of the other...
Old 21 Apr 2001, 18:05 (Ref:83155)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Faster, man... you took the words out of my mouth !

Old 21 Apr 2001, 19:46 (Ref:83178)   #6
Willie the Pimp
Rookie

Willie the Pimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bada Bing

Well i have to agree with Faster "Piquet over Senna at the end of the straight in Hungaroring, ON THE OUTSIDE (!!!), back in 86." for one of thr all-time great passes..

however.. the worst attempt has to be this seasons Brazilian
GP when Barrichello tried to jump over Ralf's Williams.

But for real stoopidity the award must go to Jos (Bada Bing) Verstappen for trying to do what Barrichello failed to do, A daring Evil Kanevel style jump over the other Williams.

Think they may have got the idea from JV at Australia.

Best WtP..
Old 21 Apr 2001, 19:56 (Ref:83182)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
also Nigel mansells move on gehard berger at the "Peraltada" corner in mexico back in 89 or 90 was breathtaking.
It was 1990 and has to be the best move I can remember. It was really at that point that my interest in F1 began. To round the outside of someone at the Peraltada was awsome as it has to be one of the most dangerous turn ever used on a GP circuit.
Old 21 Apr 2001, 19:59 (Ref:83183)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Also, another stroke of Mansell brilliance came when he took Senna in hungary '89 for the lead as Senna was about to lap Capelli. He took the lead and won the race dispite starting 12th...at the hungaroring!! Superb.
Old 21 Apr 2001, 20:00 (Ref:83184)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember Christian Fittipaldi crossing the finish line upside down... awful !!!! Can anyone remember who he hit in the back... It was Monza...
I must look at this.
Old 21 Apr 2001, 20:00 (Ref:83185)   #10
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Also, another stroke of Mansell brilliance came when he took Senna in hungary '89 for the lead as Senna was about to lap Capelli. He took the lead and won the race dispite starting 12th...at the hungaroring!! Superb.
Damon, Im sure it was Stephan Johansons (spelling not quite right) Onyx's that Senna was lapping at the time??
Old 21 Apr 2001, 20:06 (Ref:83188)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Nige was a great driver, he could inject so much excitment into even the dullest races. I forgot about the British GP in 86, his catching Piquet was almost as good as the move. I have the race on tape so I think I'll watch it now .
Old 21 Apr 2001, 20:08 (Ref:83190)   #12
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Your right Guy, my mistake.
Old 21 Apr 2001, 21:48 (Ref:83242)   #13
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nige was a great driver, he could inject so much excitment into even the dullest races. I forgot about the British GP in 86, his catching Piquet was almost as good as the move. I have the race on tape so I think I'll watch it now .
Am I gald you said this Damon, since joing this party I thought I was the only Mansell fan around.

Although not F1, Mansells charge from 19th in the 1998 Touring car at Donnington park to lead desrves a mention.
Old 21 Apr 2001, 22:36 (Ref:83259)   #14
Run Free
Racer

Run Free should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he best overtaking manouvre I've seen in the last 5 years is that of Villeneuve ON THE OUTSIDE of Schumacher at Parabolica, Estoril, in 1996. Simply WONDERFUL!
Old 21 Apr 2001, 23:08 (Ref:83274)   #15
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Runfree, I beleive the parabolica is the final turn at Monza.
Old 21 Apr 2001, 23:10 (Ref:83276)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bononi, he ran into the back of his team mate! (Martini I THINK). Quite possibly the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen in an F1 race!!

Where can we get mpeg's of all these passes?? I have the memory span of a knat
Old 21 Apr 2001, 23:26 (Ref:83291)   #17
Run Free
Racer

Run Free should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Runfree, I beleive the parabolica is the final turn at Monza.
Yes, there is a Parabolica at Monza.
But there is another one in Estoril I think.
Old 22 Apr 2001, 00:33 (Ref:83334)   #18
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you reckon to TGF move on Alesi in 1995 at the Nurburgring?
Old 22 Apr 2001, 00:42 (Ref:83336)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Tristan, I've been searching throught the web, but nothing.

Even that Russian Site missed it !!!!!!!!!!!!

But I can still see it in my memories, but the media seems to ignore it !!!
Old 22 Apr 2001, 02:02 (Ref:83352)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my short little memory of F1:

Best: JV on TGF at Estoril in 1996. Everyone said JV could never make that pass and called him crazy. The Williams crew were sure that he would crash trying to pull it off, yet he did it!

Runner up: Hakkinen on Schumacher last year at Spa.

Worst: JV at Melbourne this year on Ralf!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Apr 2001, 16:42 (Ref:83613)   #21
SH0077
Rookie

SH0077 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I almost forgot Irvine overtaking Schumacher and JV at Suzuka in '97. Im not sure what corner it was but overtaking those two drivers at once, WOW!
Old 22 Apr 2001, 17:49 (Ref:83657)   #22
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somehow, no-one's managed to mention Senna attempting to pass Jean-Louis Schlesser, and complete a clean sweep of wins for McLaren. Does that count?
Old 23 Apr 2001, 07:49 (Ref:83917)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Faster
I can never forget the awesome overtaking by Piquet over Senna at the end of the straight in Hungaroring, ON THE OUTSIDE (!!!), back in 86. It seemed like kart racing, not F1. Simply brilliant!
Er. Wasn't that Mansell? It was the famous overhead shot of the Macaroon where senna was seen to be bouncing around in the cockpit and mansell sailed by in a very smooth looking Wiliams.

The famous Arnoux/Villeneuve Dijon race for second place will go down as the last of the real fights, but unfortunatley we have to look at "our Nige" and Senna in spain 91(?) where they fought all the way down the straight, or that move on Piquet down the inside at Stowe. There was also the time when Mansell (again) ran all the way round the outside of the Piratella to overtake Gerhard Berger.

There was of course JV on the outside of TGF at Portugal. Wurz on the inside of TGF at Monaco.

Cleverest would possibly be the move on Lauda at the end of the 1978 GP at Brands. Rueteman put Luada into a box behind Giacommeli's M23 McLaren on the final corner and beat him to the line.

As to the worst attempt. For me that accolade goes to TGF at Spa, running into DC.
Old 23 Apr 2001, 09:00 (Ref:83938)   #24
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best: Either Mika passing TGF at Spa last year, or for sheer pleasure Damon taking the lead at the Hungaroring in 1997 - Murray went BERSERK!

Stupidest: Rubens at Brazil this season. STUPID BOY!!!

There is a Parabolica at Estoril, it's the final corner I believe, leading me to think the the word 'parabolica' has something to do with long long corners.
Old 23 Apr 2001, 11:19 (Ref:83965)   #25
Faster
Racer

Faster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, Mallett, but I'm sure it was Piquet who overtook Senna on the outside, back in Hungary '86, and not Nigel. But I must agree that Nigel's move over Piquet in Siverstone '87 was also awesomely brilliant.