Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 30 Jun 2005, 15:33 (Ref:1343922)   #1
Arnage
Rookie

Arnage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DSC worth its money? (thread closed)

I hope this is the right place to ask this question, and it seems this hasn't really been discussed here in the past.
Simple question: is dailysportscar.com worth its money? They ask 35 pounds a year, which is (even?) more than I pay for my autosport-atlas subscription.
And does the site have a bias towards one of the championships like ALMS? Their introductory tour isn't much of a help at that point, so I would like to have some opinions of some subscribers here.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1343927)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I encourage everyone to PM Arnage or email him with their answers if they so wish.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Jun 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1343932)   #3
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DSC is a great website and i totally recommend it... if you don't have/want to put up the money, you can also check out www.the-paddock.net (shameless plug), but at this point DSC has the best resources and access/contacts in the sportscar media world so their reporting reflects that.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1344017)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If your main interest is sportscars it will be far better than Autosport.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1344044)   #5
Jeffrey-Lee
Racer

Jeffrey-Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
If your main interest is sportscars it will be far better than Autosport.
It's Autosport-Atlas Their F1 coverage (after the merger with Atlasf1.com) is the best you can find anywhere, beats all the mags as well. Their Sportscars coverage is sorta lacking though... two tiny article about the fia races both with some lines of text and results sheet (qualy and race).

DSC just offers a lot more for sportscars fans.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1344021)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DSC is worth the money its the only place to get sportscar news
Old 30 Jun 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1344034)   #7
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
DSC is worth the money its the only place to get sportscar news
DSC is definitely worth the money but it is not the only source of sportscar news... there's Autosport, lmsr.net, the-paddock.net, and americanlemans.com as well as this message board
Old 30 Jun 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1344136)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
and americanlemans.com
and grandamerican.com
Old 30 Jun 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1344110)   #9
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It gets my vote and sometimes "crakers" get my name right on news and pictures they publish!
Old 30 Jun 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1344129)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper
It gets my vote and sometimes "crakers" get my name right on news and pictures they publish!
Well what do you expect, you don't get his name right, either.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1344187)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been interested in DSC, but have never subscribed.

Personally (and IMHO), of the sites I have been to most are similar. Virtually everyone gets the PR releases, which is all the same. Race summaries are just race summaries. Lots of the smaller sites seem afraid to publish insider stories/pics for fear of losing their contacts. Some get more interviews than others, but many have them. Few seem to offer editorials, which is why I enjoy reading sportscarpros.com (not to mention the best pics out there).

If DSC has all of that then I'd be interested in taking a closer look.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1344905)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I've been interested in DSC, but have never subscribed.

Personally (and IMHO), of the sites I have been to most are similar. Virtually everyone gets the PR releases, which is all the same. Race summaries are just race summaries. Lots of the smaller sites seem afraid to publish insider stories/pics for fear of losing their contacts. Some get more interviews than others, but many have them. Few seem to offer editorials, which is why I enjoy reading sportscarpros.com (not to mention the best pics out there).

If DSC has all of that then I'd be interested in taking a closer look.

You'll get all of that and more...but they print news...not rumors...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Jul 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1345008)   #13
Arnage
Rookie

I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to answer my question. I didn't expect that much feedback. I think I'm gonna give DSC a try.

Since some of the editors of DSC are reading this thread too, I would like to add why I asked this question here. The main reason is that the non-subscriber version of DSC doesn't give me a clue on how much news/background articles/etcetera you publish on a regular basis.
When I compare your site to atlas a big difference is that on atlas you can see the headlines of articles, even when you're not a subscriber. You see how many articles per day are published, what the subject is, etc., so you know more what to expect. I've 'taken' your introductory tour, but that doesn't really give you an insight to the day-to-day updates.
Since you're now updating the free contect section of your site, maybe the above points are something you can do something with. If it would have helped me, maybe others could profit too.

And nicos935, no, I am in no way connected to DSC
Old 1 Jul 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1345024)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnage
The cheque's in the mail...
Old 1 Jul 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1345074)   #15
nicos935
Rookie

nicos935 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnage
I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to answer my question. I didn't expect that much feedback. I think I'm gonna give DSC a try.

Since some of the editors of DSC are reading this thread too, I would like to add why I asked this question here. The main reason is that the non-subscriber version of DSC doesn't give me a clue on how much news/background articles/etcetera you publish on a regular basis.
When I compare your site to atlas a big difference is that on atlas you can see the headlines of articles, even when you're not a subscriber. You see how many articles per day are published, what the subject is, etc., so you know more what to expect. I've 'taken' your introductory tour, but that doesn't really give you an insight to the day-to-day updates.
Since you're now updating the free contect section of your site, maybe the above points are something you can do something with. If it would have helped me, maybe others could profit too.

Sorry Arnage to have "suspected you". DSC always raises passion as i can read. I admit to have difficulties to accept to pay not for paper, whatever the price but for electronic pictures.
I understand that some people from France mentionned good cooperation with DSC, but what i can tell you is that, you can be very well informed without paying £ 35 for an internet news service. Sometimes thanks to forums that is quite cool!!
Old 2 Jul 2005, 07:39 (Ref:1345230)   #16
Arnage
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicos935
I admit to have difficulties to accept to pay not for paper, whatever the price but for electronic pictures.
I understand the difficulties you have, because paying for a website is an important issue. We've al 'grown up' (ten years ago ) with 'free' internet. But at the same time in recent years I saw a decline in what traditional magazines had to offer. I'm also a big fan of Formula 1, so I've tried many paper-magazines on that subject. Unfortunately, some years ago the last really good F1-magazine (with the name 'F1 Magazine') has disappeared since being accuired and ruined by the FIA. The strength of this magazine was its good, insight and in-depth articles on F1 and the history of F1. No single magazine has come close since, except for one: the online 'magazine' AtlasF1 (although Atlas can't beat the quality F1Mag offered). I subscribed to that site some years ago, and I'm still glad for paying every euro I did ever since. No paper magazine (that I know of) comes close, and compared to online mags Atlas is in a league of its own (no, I'm also not connected to that site ).
Now that I know what a non-free website can offer I'm more prepared to pay for them, given that it's the best you can get. I think more people would, if they could set aside their (valid) objections.

Now, come on with electronic paper, I want to read on my couch !
Old 2 Jul 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1345351)   #17
lemanislife
Rookie

lemanislife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have lurked on this and other forums for some time and registered only to offer a constructive criticism for the owners of DSC.

Lately it seems that this and other forums have become a running ad for your site. Perhaps I am a little irritated today because I come to 10/10ths to look for a discussion on the ALMS race this weekend and there isn't even a thread, but there is an in-depth four page discussion on the relative merits of a for-profit website?

With all due respect to the staff of DSC, this to me would cry out to you that you should offer a 3 day free trial for prospective customers and put an end to these annoying exchanges on the forums.

I'm sorry if this seems a tad negative but what does it have to do with racing? I think this could have been accomplished by PM or off forum.

I feel that the integrity of this forum has been compromised here. If someone had launched a thread on Infoscourse, Virages, Planetlemans, or Lmsr (or any of the other websites that also work hard and do not require payment), it would have been quickly removed.

I am sure that DSC is a good website that believes in what they do. However I would also believe that sportscar fans would much rather read about actual racing this weekend. Thank you very much for allowing a long time lurker to voice my opinion.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1345361)   #18
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemanislife
Perhaps I am a little irritated today because I come to 10/10ths to look for a discussion on the ALMS race this weekend and there isn't even a thread,...
Well then start one!
Old 2 Jul 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1345378)   #19
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

With all due respect to the staff of DSC, this to me would cry out to you that you should offer a 3 day free trial for prospective customers and put an end to these annoying exchanges on the forums.
They do from time to time, and your point is very valid. Maybe a special holiday weekend until Tuesday to see the reporting on this weekends racing for ten-tenths members.

I like DSC very much, visit them and a number of other sites daily or more. The information posted on the different sites is different. The DSC stuff is usually very much on the ground reporting, instead of releases. (though other sites have original reporting as well) Excellent photography, and coverage of many series.

There are many other excellent sites out there as well, and I visit many of them regularly. Having visited these other sites regularly, I still would feel money spent on DSC is worth it... at least to me as a fan of Sportscars (first over other racing series).

What is great is that we have a number of sites that report on Sportscar racing.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1345396)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps I am a little irritated today because I come to 10/10ths to look for a discussion on the ALMS race this weekend and there isn't even a thread,
There isnt, What then is this? http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70926 Started on the 29th of June.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1345419)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I feel that the integrity of this forum has been compromised here. If someone had launched a thread on Infoscourse, Virages, Planetlemans, or Lmsr (or any of the other websites that also work hard and do not require payment), it would have been quickly removed.
Actually, no it wouldn't.

For instance Planetlemans is actually an affiliate of ten-tenths; Infoscourse is very often referenced on this forum thanks to Fab and the principals (and in fact discussed in this very thread!), and sometimes I feel as if this forum becomes a running advert for lmsr!

The only time we've removed discussion of sites is when the discussion gets potentially libellous, or when the site in question objects (I've personally removed exactly one link about lmsr at the request of the webmaster).
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Jun 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1344210)   #22
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I love DSC. Rarely is something covered anywhere else without at least equal or great detail on DSC. It is worth the money to me.

sportscarpro.com is fantastic, although not timely as the news type sites, but sensational photography. I have been impressed with the-paddock.net so far, great coverage of the 'Ring 24 Hours!!!

But this forum is about as timely as anything else out there!

robert
Old 30 Jun 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1344220)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DSC has editorials, interviews and insight you will not see elsewere.

Its what you're paying for afterall.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1344222)   #24
Cerbera Speed12
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Cerbera Speed12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Worth every penny.

If sports cars are your thing, there is no better place to be.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1344223)   #25
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another happy person here Daily routine: DSC, 10/10's, depaddock (belgian forum). Gives me all I should need to know to stay up to date. Yes, DSC is fully worth the money.
Closed Thread