Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jun 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2908054)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
UK F1 to Channel 4 ?

No 'red button', and ads too!

http://www.pitpass.com/44067-Channel...lks-to-host-F1
Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2908074)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Notwithstanding that this sounds extremely unlikely, surely the free practice could go on to the website or More4?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:30 (Ref:2908075)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Only if the budget stretches that far.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2908078)   #4
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The rights would probably come with the race/quali rights anyway. You are right about budgets, I guess would be reflected in terms of talent and presentation (expect a London studio; the world athletics press release is ambiguous as to if they are going to have the whole lot there or not).

EDIT : If it were to happen, you couldn't rule out them getting Rick Edwards to present the coverage ...
Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2908080)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
So the BBC is trying to get out of it this year? As in 2011 would be the last year it covers F1?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2908083)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
So the BBC is trying to get out of it this year? As in 2011 would be the last year it covers F1?
It's a rumour. But the BBC are cutting back on a large scale, and that's not a rumour.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2908137)   #7
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That report sounds like absolute horse-what-not. I'll buy a chocolate hat of course in case I need to eat it, but it sounds like rubbish.

When the absolute best an article has is 'A spokesman said...' and that 'spokesman' clearly isn't from channel 4 then I have trouble taking it seriously
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2908144)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
That's nothing! Apparently someone at the City of Austin council meeting has just said that Murdoch is going to buy F1. Stranger things.....
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2908158)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

One bizzare thought I had, possibly after a bit too much intoxicating liquor, was that if FOTA were to form their own series they'd go straight to Endemol to produce the coverage and that they'd produce one commentary with pit reporters for the whole English-speaking world and otherwise one per language

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2908164)   #10
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't mind too much if they clipped down on the ads compared with ITV. ITV had a nutty amount of ads. It seemed like that at least.

There's also those few dippy mini-CH4 channels where there's nothing but repeats. Stick free practice in there.

It's a pity they don't do something like what America does. If none can afford to do it right on their own then split it between the broadcasters.

I'd say if it's going to CH4 or any of the terristerial channels for that matter Bernie better be ready for a BIG discount.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 13:13 (Ref:2908573)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I wouldn't mind too much if they clipped down on the ads compared with ITV. ITV had a nutty amount of ads. It seemed like that at least.

There's also those few dippy mini-CH4 channels where there's nothing but repeats. Stick free practice in there.

It's a pity they don't do something like what America does. If none can afford to do it right on their own then split it between the broadcasters.

I'd say if it's going to CH4 or any of the terristerial channels for that matter Bernie better be ready for a BIG discount.
The ITV ads increased over time too. It used to be 3 ads per break in 1997, at the end in 2008 it was 5-6 ads per break, so pretty much double.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 17:12 (Ref:2918061)   #12
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murdoch buying F!. Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
That's nothing! Apparently someone at the City of Austin council meeting has just said that Murdoch is going to buy F1. Stranger things.....
I'm a little late on this one and I heard the same thing Marbot. Must say left me shaking my head. If this topic has legs might want to have it's own thread. Just sayin. So, here is some really recent news about Mr. Murdoch's proposed take over of the premeire racing series of the world (that woould be F1 ya all). "Murcoch doesn't even know who runs F1" from PITPASS.COM. here: http://tinyurl.com/3wxoqp3I wouldn't bet a dime for or against this, dealing with BE and RM.

Last edited by ujoint; 4 Jul 2011 at 17:25.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2908269)   #13
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The irony of this story is that Channel 4 have been trying to get its grubby hands on a slice of the license fee for years now.

I think some of these rumours are being produced by people at the BBC, to try and get a more favourable deal next time from Bernie.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2908276)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool View Post
The irony of this story is that Channel 4 have been trying to get its grubby hands on a slice of the license fee for years now.
The problem is that as a publically owned public service broadcaster they don't always have enough public money to do what they do. That's why they show things like Big Brother, to cross-subsidise the more public service elements. The thought of privatizing Channel 4 keeps on being suggested, but it would just turn it in to a carbon copy of ITV.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 12:20 (Ref:2908540)   #15
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think some of these rumours are being produced by people at the BBC, to try and get a more favourable deal next time from Bernie.
I'd have said it was the other way around - a leak from Bernie to try and get the Beeb to pay more, by showing there is free to air interest in F1. That it comes from Pitpass, one of Bernie's favourite leaking points, backs that up
Old 30 Jun 2011, 12:33 (Ref:2908545)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I'd have said it was the other way around - a leak from Bernie to try and get the Beeb to pay more, by showing there is free to air interest in F1. That it comes from Pitpass, one of Bernie's favourite leaking points, backs that up
Ah! 'tis true that Pitpass has links with Bernie (allegedly). Hence the stories regarding the circuits taking action over the new engine formula, which Bernie is so against, only appearing mainly on pitpass.

Ron Walker (Aussie GP promoter) is a buddy of Ecclestones and he apparently sent a letter to the FIA, last Thursday, stating that 17 out of the 19 current circuit promoters were against the new engine formula. I would suggest that Bernie wasn't going to do anything to stop him from doing that, and that he might, instead, let it be known that it was going to happen.

No surprise then that the engines are now V6 units with an rpm limit set at 15,000 rpm. Which, I should point out, some are still not happy with.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 12:41 (Ref:2908551)   #17
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Ah! 'tis true that Pitpass has links with Bernie (allegedly). Hence the stories regarding the circuits taking action over the new engine formula, which Bernie is so against, only appearing mainly on pitpass.

Ron Walker (Aussie GP promoter) is a buddy of Ecclestones and he apparently sent a letter to the FIA, last Thursday, stating that 17 out of the 19 current circuit promoters were against the new engine formula. I would suggest that Bernie wasn't going to do anything to stop him from doing that, and that he might, instead, let it be known that it was going to happen.
Indeed. Did you read Saward's article on it? Really interesting
Old 30 Jun 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2908556)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Indeed. Did you read Saward's article on it? Really interesting
Yes. One of his best.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 13:33 (Ref:2917925)   #19
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Channel 4 has always got some of the licence fee, its state owned.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2908295)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
we're counting pitpass as a credible source now? desperate times...
Old 29 Jun 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2908301)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
we're counting pitpass as a credible source now? desperate times...
The whole story does sound quite far fetched as we know, I'm filing any thoughts about what they'd do as purely hypothetical. I would have thought Channel 5 would be more likely than C4.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 10:12 (Ref:2908477)   #22
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC revealed just recently that each GP costs them £3M so that is £60M per year.
I cannot imagine Ch 4 or 5 or anyone else for that matter as a UK only broadcaster being able to spend that sort of money.
In this month's 'Motor Sport' the subject is discussed. Global viewing figures have reduced over the past 3 years.
The biggest TV audiences are China ,Brazil, Japan ,Germany and Italy.

Whoever ends up owning F1 , whether it is free to air, with adverts, or pay per view or indeed not broadcast at all to Britain will only be a side issue.
In the 60s and up to '78 typically only 3 GPs were broadcast Silverstone, Monaco and Monza, then often only periodic reports or maybe next day filmed highlights . Other than that you had to rely on the radio or next days newspapers, you might hear the first 3 home on a radio news bulletin.
Perfectly possible we could again end up with close to no coverage if they hold out for cost levels no one can commercially pay, other than perhaps some way on the internet.
I would not think there is a demand for this on a pay basis comparable with premier football.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2908578)   #23
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
For what it's worth the boss of Channel 4 at the relevant level has either just changed or is about to change. For several years C4 has shown highlights of British F3 and British GT, but there's a small question mark over whether that will continue under new man. He may decide, for example, that he doesn't like motor sport and favour coverage of another sport. Or he may, just possibly, think that British F3/GT is too low a level for C4 and that F1 is the way to go. Time will tell.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2908761)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
For what it's worth the boss of Channel 4 at the relevant level has either just changed or is about to change. For several years C4 has shown highlights of British F3 and British GT, but there's a small question mark over whether that will continue under new man. He may decide, for example, that he doesn't like motor sport and favour coverage of another sport. Or he may, just possibly, think that British F3/GT is too low a level for C4 and that F1 is the way to go. Time will tell.
Obvious caveat here is that the SRO British events are likely to be paying for the production. C4 are becoming more of a big ticket channel for sports with the World Athletics Championships and the 2012 Paralympics. Note that the horse racing coverage is, IIRC, subsidised by the horse racing industry. Rumours of C4 dropping horse racing have circulated in the past.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2908785)   #25
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Poppycock

If Auntie did dump F1 (which is at the peak of it's popularity - so surely defines 'public service') then the broadcaster is not relevant (adverts aside) more the production company that matters