Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Jul 2010, 01:26 (Ref:2726892)   #1
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
9 week break, any story will make news

With the 9 week break, will any story make major news or just small print. And has it already started with speedcafe.com starting off with the news that a Bahraini driver is here to test a v8.

I have a bad feeling the next 9 weeks are going to be torture.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 15 Jul 2010, 01:30 (Ref:2726894)   #2
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the most pointless and idiotic decisions ever in V8 Supercar history.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Jul 2010, 01:48 (Ref:2726898)   #3
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
With the 9 week break, will any story make major news or just small print. And has it already started with speedcafe.com starting off with the news that a Bahraini driver is here to test a v8.

I have a bad feeling the next 9 weeks are going to be torture.
Bit late to the party, that was on V8.com about a week and a half ago (so, even when there is news, its still old news haha)
Old 15 Jul 2010, 01:55 (Ref:2726899)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really don't understand their schedule, it seems haphazard.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 02:30 (Ref:2726905)   #5
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I really don't understand their schedule, it seems haphazard.
The Aus GT series did this a year or so ago where they didn't race over our winter, mainly because the of the weather conditions in some parts of Australia. It's a good idea, given that somewhere like Phillip Island in the middle of June or July is a killer in that southern breeze. Barry Sheen put it bluntly years ago that it's the "gateway to hypothermia".

This 9 week break is stupid, along with the stupid break between PI and Bathurst. The football finals series's don't make it any easier on them. They shouldn't have done it and a lot of people said why don't they go to the Middle East at this time.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 02:33 (Ref:2726906)   #6
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
They shouldn't have done it and a lot of people said why don't they go to the Middle East at this time.
Because if the drivers went over there (in the summer) they will return as boiled liquid versions of themselves.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 03:36 (Ref:2726913)   #7
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
The Aus GT series did this a year or so ago where they didn't race over our winter, mainly because the of the weather conditions in some parts of Australia. It's a good idea, given that somewhere like Phillip Island in the middle of June or July is a killer in that southern breeze. Barry Sheen put it bluntly years ago that it's the "gateway to hypothermia".
And the irony is the GT Championship went to PI last weekend to race..... it was pretty cold Saturday, but there was sunshine on Sunday which made it.... not as cold
Old 15 Jul 2010, 02:24 (Ref:2726903)   #8
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The schedule is shocking...they have big gaps between a lot of races and then a mid-season break. You could maybe get away with one, but not both...

Anyway, time to sit back and wait for some embarrassing stories...
Old 15 Jul 2010, 03:58 (Ref:2726915)   #9
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how to watch your sport die......thanks tony and co.

thanks to the yanks for at least putting nascar on every week. Some lessons to learn about keeping motorsport alive.

i'd like to see some heavy duty marketing activties or hybrid events (throw some of the V8 drivers into historics/utes etc.) during downtime.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 04:29 (Ref:2726916)   #10
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stupid schedule.

i can see the australian motorsport websites/publications comming up with some doozies over the next 9 weeks.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 04:44 (Ref:2726918)   #11
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
stupid schedule.

i can see the australian motorsport websites/publications comming up with some doozies over the next 9 weeks.
yep like someone stubbed their toe...
Old 15 Jul 2010, 08:35 (Ref:2726983)   #12
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They might just realise there is more motorsport in the world than the local Taxi series.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 11:25 (Ref:2727060)   #13
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
They might just realise there is more motorsport in the world than the local Taxi series.
no doubt there is & i watch as much motorsport as i can but it dosn't change the fact it's a retarded decision by the powers that be to implement this hiatus into the calendar especially when they are apparently trying to attract a wider audience.

it's all good for F1 & Moto GP to have a summer hiatus as they are world class categories and no matter what Cocho thinks Taxi's arn't on that scale and the average fans will lose interest.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 23:26 (Ref:2727349)   #14
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The concept of dividing the season into two halves is to reduce the time between race meetings. By having the mid-season break, they can slightly reduce the gap between all the other race meetings.

It is a good marketing ploy. Football code followers know that they don't have to wait very long for the next match, and they don't have time to lose the interest created by the previous game.

Also, someone is more likely to remember to watch the next meeting's telecast (or physically attend) if it is in two weeks time, not three or four weeks time. (See RotorFan's comment in the previous post, for example)

The gap between V8 Supercar races is still greater than ideal, but this is a small step in the right direction.

Ideally they'd simply have more race meetings to fill the gaps, but obviously that is not possible at this point in time due to the cost.

As a side benefit, it gives the teams a break to prepare (or rest) for the endurance races and it avoids racing in the depths of winter. It also allows for races before and after the various football code seasons, allowing a less competitive environment.

Last edited by Chris - Melb; 15 Jul 2010 at 23:33.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2727001)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wondering if this is the start of a move to a more summerish season?

reckon we got a 8 week break at Christmas time and 9 week break mid year

would have thought the gaps had been good until now and from bathurst onwards.

the article on a Bahrani Raed Raffiim is a follow up to a previous article, i dont think it supports the case that its a slow news week,
Old 15 Jul 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2727343)   #16
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had no idea the V8s were on last weekend. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 16 Jul 2010, 01:48 (Ref:2727378)   #17
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
redesp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gap provides the Perfect opportunity to get the tyres right??!!

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 litres... ;)
Old 16 Jul 2010, 03:16 (Ref:2727386)   #18
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Running as a summer series is a good idea, start in Nov or Dec and finish in Oct the following year at the Mountain.
Old 16 Jul 2010, 03:49 (Ref:2727395)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
Running as a summer series is a good idea, start in Nov or Dec and finish in Oct the following year at the Mountain.
Hasn't Tony Cochrane always been publically against a summer series?

Channel 7 was pushing for summer races in the mid-90s, when Tony & IMG were employed by TEGA, one of the first things mentioned was that there was no interest in a summer series and it wouldn't be pursued.

Either way, a 9-week mid season break is not helping anybody...
Old 18 Jul 2010, 11:12 (Ref:2728405)   #20
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Channel 7 was pushing for summer races in the mid-90s, when Tony & IMG were employed by TEGA, one of the first things mentioned was that there was no interest in a summer series and it wouldn't be pursued.
They even did that when they had the Super Touring at the start of last decade.
Old 16 Jul 2010, 04:38 (Ref:2727404)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Winfield Triple Challenge at Eastern Creek was always around Australia day wasnt it? Almost a summer series race event!
Old 16 Jul 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2727526)   #22
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I for one am against a summer season series. High ambient temps + high cabin temps + hot, heavy race suits and fire protection clothing = Disaster. Remeber Steve Owen a few years ago collapsing from heat stroke at Clipsal?
Old 19 Jul 2010, 05:24 (Ref:2728848)   #23
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I for one am against a summer season series. High ambient temps + high cabin temps + hot, heavy race suits and fire protection clothing = Disaster. Remeber Steve Owen a few years ago collapsing from heat stroke at Clipsal?
The NASCAR Cup drivers deal with it.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:20 (Ref:2728943)   #24
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia seems to be about the only country in the world to not understand that motor racing is a summer sport.
If they ran a few more races in decent weather they might stand a better chance of getting some sort of crowd.
BTW how many people were at Eastern Creek yesterday. It looked almost as small as the PI GT round.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:44 (Ref:2728953)   #25
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia is also about the only country that does not have a winter where there is a high chance of inclement weather forcing events to be cancelled. After the Symmons Plains round was held in freezing conditions last year, V8SA was a bit smarter this year moving it to November. The only 2 winter events this year were in Darwin and Townsville both in 25-30 degree temperatures.

Having been to Eastern Creek a few years ago in December, I believe that motorsport is better off being conducted in the cooler months.