Closed Thread

Old 21 Sep 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2959033)   #1
tcb
Rookie

England
lancs
tcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park On Post Toilets

As a marshal reaching a curtain age the lack of handy Toilets on some posts at oulton is becoming a difficulty.
Having spoken to many women marshals as well this is a difficulty for them as well. Is it to much to ask for a portaloo on each post not within easy reach of a Toilet block.
Shell for instance is now void of any portaloo.
Is this to stop oldies like me and women marshals from doing Shell.?
Is this sexist and ageist. Should the oldies and women marshals vote with there feet and only marshal on a few posts, leaving others undermanned.?
Oulton Park please listen to the oldies and growing number of women marshals and provide the portaloos we all need.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2959078)   #2
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
i feel your pain! isnt the best thing ever, the amount of times ive had to go off post to walk 200 metres to a toilet or go somewhere there's no toilet shows circuits still have a long way to go, the people youd expect to most be on the ball is msvr, who owns oulton msvr...
Old 21 Sep 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2959085)   #3
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb View Post
Shell for instance is now void of any portaloo.
Is this to stop oldies like me and women marshals from doing Shell.?
Why in this day and age at permanent circuits do we have to accept the 'theres loads of trees over there' as the answer to 'where's the loo'?

I think it shows a lack of respect. I can't imagine it costs too much to hire and service portaloos?
Old 21 Sep 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2959092)   #4
hattiebattyboo
Rookie

hattiebattyboo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this has been a problem for a while, i know it has been brought up with the cercit guys and the reply is alwasy " it will be looked into"but that has been the same reply for 2 years now. its ok for the boys that can use the "trees over there" but for us poor little girles its not quite that easy in 4 layers of cloths and overalls!! come on guys sort it out!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2959102)   #5
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the past 20 odd years, the answer to this problem is to ask your PC to ring race control.In the break between practice or race you will be picked up and taken to the toilets at race control.

So simple it works.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2959105)   #6
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lewis View Post
For the past 20 odd years, the answer to this problem is to ask your PC to ring race control.In the break between practice or race you will be picked up and taken to the toilets at race control.

So simple it works.
I never knew that!

But do you get brought back after your comfort break

I'll add it to my briefings
Old 21 Sep 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2959106)   #7
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the new posts at Snetterton have a portaloo, so maybe if you beg long enough, you'll get them at Oulton as well.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2959148)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post
I never knew that!
Neither did I! However, it was written into the briefing notes at the last BRSCC meeting - your Post Chief should have informed you! I've never had a problem with members of my team taking a "comfort break", even if it means them missing a session.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2959180)   #9
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post
I never knew that!
Yes-it's strictly on a need to go basis
Old 21 Sep 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2959303)   #10
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:

So simple it works.
works yeah but plenty of times when ive been on post and when a lass has needed to go, sometimes theyll feel like theyre burdening the post and will try holding on for the end of the meeting, shouldnt come to that...
i know what youre saying circuits dont want to spend £x amount week on week for 20 posts but the amount of times a portaloo is used when its there, its better than holding on for 4/5/6 hours... and money may be better spent on other provisions for marshals but a vast majority of marshals, girlies will more often than not feel annoyed that theyre not looked after enough and like the cheesy saying goes, vote with their feet
Old 22 Sep 2011, 07:32 (Ref:2959421)   #11
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
works yeah but plenty of times when ive been on post and when a lass has needed to go, sometimes theyll feel like theyre burdening the post and will try holding on for the end of the meeting, shouldnt come to that...
Sorry- you are talking absolute nonsense. If you need to go then you need to go.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 08:04 (Ref:2959428)   #12
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

So simple it works.
What about if you are the Female Post Chief with only two trainees for company and the sessions are running behind so no opportunity to get collected and brought back in time.

A few months back I requested a loo break, no facilities nearby and a 2hr race was about to start. i was told to go behind a tree (no trees anywhere close by as i was in the infield and overlooked bt spectator banking!). I took in the humour it was intended and they did come and collect me after some discussion but in all seriousness surely a couple of portaloos would stop issues arising?
Old 21 Sep 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2959171)   #13
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have been impressed at Oulton over recent years but haven't been up to Shell for a long time! The toilets are usually clean and unsmelly (except the one at Lodge used by the public) - so no need for the drastic "air freshener" activities required at somewhere like Le Mans.

All a great change from when I first started
Old 21 Sep 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2959175)   #14
Les Green
Rookie

United Kingdom
Widnes Cheshire
Les Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Often at Oulton even the toilet blocks they have, are not always open but locked. I have found a number of loo blocks closed this year on race days.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2959610)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think you will find that MSV will address these matters as and when the finances and replacement marshals boxes permit. In the meantime let's not have talk of 'voting with your feet'. We have managed to get by this long so a while longer shouldn't be a problem. MSV are very pro marshals and do listen to our requests but as in every business there is a list jobs that will get done when the finances permit and not before.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2959645)   #16
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
I think you will find that MSV will address these matters as and when the finances and replacement marshals boxes permit. In the meantime let's not have talk of 'voting with your feet'. We have managed to get by this long so a while longer shouldn't be a problem. MSV are very pro marshals and do listen to our requests but as in every business there is a list jobs that will get done when the finances permit and not before.
i agree, a few marshals dont like msvr but i rate them well and i hope the majority does aswell for the most part, , the circuit's are presented well and they are given a solid future, plus they give us loads of goodies! though when the subject of circuit toilets is brought up most of them are guilty of it. i suppose this is inciting bad views against oulton this post is about oulton, this is an issue that mr palmer and co will soon sort out as efficiently and as proffesionally as always because after all its pretty open, so the odd shuffle behind a bush is pretty much nigh on impossible, places like croft however! you could take a dive in the ponds at cascades and knickerbrook but then who'd want to be on post with the resultant wet probans mixed with god only knows what
Old 22 Sep 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2959675)   #17
Gordon Knight
Racer

England
Monton, Eccles, Manchester
Gordon Knight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The loo problem at Oulton is by no means as bad as some on here are suggesting.
Old Hall has access to a loo block on Pit Straight and for the bigger meetings a loo block on 40 acre camp site. Avenue has access to loo block on infield near FMC.
Cascades has a portaloo and access to loo block on the hill between Cascades and
Clay Hill. Island, Shell & Foulstons share a portaloo on the outside of the circuit
opposite Foulstons box...drawback is that Island & Foulstons marshals need time to cross the track. Hill Top has access to loo block in Shaws field but again marshals need time to cross the track. Knickerbrook "In" can use the loos in Shaws field. Knickerbrook "Out" have to cross the track to the spectator area. Clay Hill can use the loos on the hill between Clay Hill and Cascades. Water Tower can use same as Clay Hill but it is a longer walk, or if time permits cross the track to Druids. Druids has a portaloo. Bailey Bridge has a problem. Lodge has a portaloo but not brilliant because it is also used by speccies.
Deer Leap outside can use the loos on the Pit Straight and Deer Leap infield can use the loos in the pit lane.

But I've no doubt that the above is not good enough for some on here who seem to be looking for "en suite facilities"

Can I ask that the mods now close this thread as this issue and several others concerning marshal's welfare are being discussed with Oulton Park's management
by our BMMC rep for Oulton Park circuit Ray Sumner. Too much adverse comment on here may not be helpful.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2959670)   #18
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's still only on the "to do" list when I visit Oulton, I'll always remember the advice from you locals is that I should use the course car - I'm sure the stains will wash out
Old 22 Sep 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2959759)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's a worryingly detailed knowledge of them all, Gordon! I guess I'll be approaching that age myself soon enough!

I think all the ground's been covered now, happy to close it as requested before someone spots Mr Brand managed to use the phrases 'The bottom line' and 'we'll just get on with the job' in the same post without anyone making any rude comments. Well done, I'm very disappointed in you all!