Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2007, 20:14 (Ref:1986925)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What now for Tonio?

I hope he can stay in F1, what are his options though? i would like to see him in a Spyker, a proper Gascoyne car with a Ferrari engine, not a lot of expectation and it could easily be a surprise package, could be worse.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1986932)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Serving burgers in McDonalds.

Nah, I think he'll go to Champcar now to be honest. And why not? It could be just what he needs.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 20:42 (Ref:1986971)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there any basis to the recent links to testing for Ferrari? That might be his best option. Otherwise, a good ChampCar drive would probably be a better bet than Spyker; he's a known quantity among the team owners and hasn't really shone at STR.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 20:44 (Ref:1986977)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I've heard he's leaving to present his own TV make-over show.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 20:47 (Ref:1986982)   #5
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't rule out somwhere like toyota - they need someone who isn't in the twilight of their career ie. trulli, ralf. They have also said they are nowq going to start doing one/two year contracts rather than multi year deals.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 12 Aug 2007, 20:55 (Ref:1987004)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
I wouldn't rule out somwhere like toyota - they need someone who isn't in the twilight of their career ie. trulli, ralf. They have also said they are nowq going to start doing one/two year contracts rather than multi year deals.
Liuzzi may be young, but he doesn't seem very hungry, nor is he particularly quick. A team with Toyota's budget should be setting their sights a bit higher.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 20:48 (Ref:1986988)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It'll be a test position in F1 or ChampCar.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1987087)   #8
agosling
Racer

agosling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just another in a never ending line of pay drivers... Time to move on to the next one, I'm sure Tonio have long and undistinguished career in Champcar, IRL, DTM, BTCC, etc
Old 13 Aug 2007, 07:52 (Ref:1987299)   #9
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by agosling
Just another in a never ending line of pay drivers..
The only team running pay drivers this year are Spyker.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 08:14 (Ref:1987316)   #10
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he'll go and do Japanese GT's.. More likely thou I reckon he'll go to a midfield champ car team.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1987342)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I agree, ChampCar seems like his most likely destination - he hasn't really done anything to prove that he deserves an F1 drive. Perhaps there might be a test role somewhere for him, but if he's not considered good enough to race it all comes down to whether he'd rather race elsewhere or be stuck in the testing wilderness for years.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 13 Aug 2007, 09:15 (Ref:1987361)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
The only team running pay drivers this year are Spyker.
There may be a place for him when Sutil moves up the grid
Old 12 Aug 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1987115)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I agree with davyboy and Knowlesy...

He may be driving a McDonalds liveried car even..
Old 12 Aug 2007, 23:40 (Ref:1987157)   #14
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont see a test role as being anything like what we have previously seen as a path to resurrection ala massa, wurz etc, as they just dont get enough time in the car these days - and especially little track time on race weekends...

so i think testing would be a dead end role for tonio. Even still, a ferrari test might be tempting if it's around...

i can see him at williams, although it increasingly appears as though the williams drive is much sought after for next year: fisi & piquet seem quite keen to take it, and also of course, wurz. I have a feeling williams might leave the decision on their second seat right up to the last minute and have a shootout similar to 05... If tonio is still in the mix then, i would think he's got a fair chance of outgunning the aforementioned drivers.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 12:02 (Ref:1987473)   #15
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do people think he'll get a better deal than Christian Klien?
Old 13 Aug 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1987517)   #16
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
dont see any results that suggest he should do anything better than Klien
Old 13 Aug 2007, 12:57 (Ref:1987521)   #17
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
fraggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if pro drive are still on the grid next season... don't they need two drivers??
Old 13 Aug 2007, 16:55 (Ref:1987637)   #18
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A decent haircut and a shave wouldn't go amiss.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1987699)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly Mathias may be right - from a public perspective F1 needs characters, but the teams want solid 'suits' who never say or do anything interesting. I'm not sure if the Williams links are with a view to race or test; he doesn't really deserve to move up the grid with what he's done so far. And I don't think he has any major sponsorship other than Red Bull themselves.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1987749)   #20
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Sadly Mathias may be right - from a public perspective F1 needs characters, but the teams want solid 'suits' who never say or do anything interesting.
Liuzzi may have an unusual haircut and beard combo, but he still never says or does anything interesting.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 18:49 (Ref:1987754)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He wears interesting hats.

We will never know if Tonio is interesting really because as soon as the race is over he sprints to his private jet so he can get home to take delivery of a new mattress.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 22:57 (Ref:1988004)   #22
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
He wears interesting hats.

We will never know if Tonio is interesting really because as soon as the race is over he sprints to his private jet so he can get home to take delivery of a new mattress.
???

am abit surprised to see luizzi being shown the door but then when the 07 season started luizzi's and speed's seats never looked to have been that safe with the pair of them being announced last minute as str's drivers...

tbh.. he'll either end up at one of the other teams or racing in a different series..
Old 13 Aug 2007, 23:03 (Ref:1988010)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a reference to an occasion where I think Liuzzi missed a test while he was waiting for a mattress to be delivered.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 23:24 (Ref:1988024)   #24
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
It's a reference to an occasion where I think Liuzzi missed a test while he was waiting for a mattress to be delivered.
Wasn't that when he was the Red Bull tester living in the Red Bull 'party house' in that center of all that is hip, Northampton ! To be fair to Tonio... Red Bull were trying to encourage a sort of wild-child 'fun' image at the time... so missing a test while waiting for a mattress I don't believe was frowned upon at the time.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1988384)   #25
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
northampton.. so luizzi lives 40 mins up the road from me?? blimey..