Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Mar 2010, 23:58 (Ref:2647834)   #1
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AGP V8s: Fines for sand-bagging

V8SA gets tough on AGP sandbaggers

Pretty stupid rule. How would they police that?

Why don't they offer something for finishing in the top 10, like a free set of tyres for the next round.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 03:33 (Ref:2647902)   #2
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
AGP

WTF not make it a C'ship round? It would solve the alleged problem for once and for all .

Just what is the politics that stop it being a C'ship round?

Speaking for my self and most my B'hurst campmates, the V8's are the only reason for us to watch any of the AGP.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 04:23 (Ref:2647912)   #3
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
WTF not make it a C'ship round? It would solve the alleged problem for once and for all .

Just what is the politics that stop it being a C'ship round?

Speaking for my self and most my B'hurst campmates, the V8's are the only reason for us to watch any of the AGP.
I believe the FIA and/or European Bernie (as opposed to Aussie Bernie/The Black Wiggle) do not allow them to use it as a round of a championship
Old 9 Mar 2010, 05:47 (Ref:2647927)   #4
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
I believe the FIA and/or European Bernie (as opposed to Aussie Bernie/The Black Wiggle) do not allow them to use it as a round of a championship
Thats the reason, it was like that when ten had the V8s so television doesnt have anything to do with it. I dont understand it and dont really agree with it but thats Bernie.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 06:27 (Ref:2647935)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
Why does it matter if its for points or not??

Shouldn't matter. Maybe they should up the prizemoney as an incentive?
Old 9 Mar 2010, 03:56 (Ref:2647906)   #6
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With 7 holding the rights for the championship and 10 holding the rights for the AGP it would mean they can't make it a championship round I would assume..
Old 9 Mar 2010, 05:44 (Ref:2647926)   #7
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think St00ge has it.. I cant see why the FIA or F1 would care if it's a championship round or not...
Old 9 Mar 2010, 06:00 (Ref:2647929)   #8
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's TV cos overseas F1 rounds have rounds of all sorts of other "FIA" series (which the V8's are also considered to be) held at F1GP's.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 09:42 (Ref:2648012)   #9
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does there have to be any incentive?

These blokes are PAID to put on a show and if i PAY to see that show, i'd expect a decent bit of entertainment, not a farce as provided by a certain team last year.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2648053)   #10
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrod Kieron View Post
Why does there have to be any incentive?

These blokes are PAID to put on a show and if i PAY to see that show, i'd expect a decent bit of entertainment, not a farce as provided by a certain team last year.
The teams are in this 'show' to win the championship. Would you go out driving if you didn't need to? Theres huge risk of damaged cars (less now without morris, but still apparent with Richards).

I for one, would like to see all the teams boycott this crap! Maybe if no-one rolls out of pitlane, someone will start listening (and gl to vesa to find 29 new cars at a moments notice, should they all be banned from the series.)
Old 10 Mar 2010, 01:59 (Ref:2648649)   #11
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
The teams are in this 'show' to win the championship. Would you go out driving if you didn't need to? Theres huge risk of damaged cars (less now without morris, but still apparent with Richards).

I for one, would like to see all the teams boycott this crap! Maybe if no-one rolls out of pitlane, someone will start listening (and gl to vesa to find 29 new cars at a moments notice, should they all be banned from the series.)
No they arn't. They are in the show to provide advertising for their sponsors. The medium by which they provide this is entertainment in the form of motor racing.

Boycotting the event is bull****. The sponsors that PAY those teams do so for exposure, and including in that exposure is the GP!!! Do you seriously think the likes of Vodafone would be happy with Team Vodafone boycotting the GP or doing a 'GRM' there?

V8SC's arn't like the days of old when the likes of Moffat would pick and choose, it's a commercially run business.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 06:22 (Ref:2648695)   #12
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
No they arn't. They are in the show to provide advertising for their sponsors. The medium by which they provide this is entertainment in the form of motor racing.

Boycotting the event is bull****. The sponsors that PAY those teams do so for exposure, and including in that exposure is the GP!!! Do you seriously think the likes of Vodafone would be happy with Team Vodafone boycotting the GP or doing a 'GRM' there?

V8SC's arn't like the days of old when the likes of Moffat would pick and choose, it's a commercially run business.
I think you have it backwards. They are there to win races and championships. They provide advertising for companies in return for funds to race. NOT the other way around.

I dont care what vodafone think. I think its bs that this round counts for nothing, except unnecessary panel damage. Change it to a championship points round, and thats the end of it.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 06:35 (Ref:2648700)   #13
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Quote:
I think you have it backwards. They are there to win races and championships. They provide advertising for companies in return for funds to race. NOT the other way around.

I dont care what vodafone think. I think its bs that this round counts for nothing, except unnecessary panel damage. Change it to a championship points round, and thats the end of it.

No mate, I havn't got it backwards. That was a long time a go when it was a true sport, it's moved on from then.

Saying you don't care what VF think is bypassing the issue. Dane goes to VF, says I give you X exposure INCLUDING the GP in return for a fistfull of dollars then turn around and say, sorry boys I don't want to scratch my cars i'm sitting this one out. I'd suggest thats a breach of contract...

It can't be a points round as has been previously outlined.

Fact is, V8's want to be there and the reason has got to be money, F1 arn't holding a gun to their head to appear. Therefore, in return for that money, they should put on an appropriate show.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2648059)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would have thought one of the goals of the teams was to get exposure for there sponsors,

i would have also thought that the million dollars that v8sa earn means that the teams should be doing a serious job

plus this years there are 3 weeks to recover
Old 9 Mar 2010, 11:33 (Ref:2648074)   #15
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The following round is in Hamilton, so for the Queensland teams they probably only have 1 week to turn the cars around. DJR, FFF, FPR, GRM, KR & PMM all have spare cars they can use but the rest don't have that luxury.

If a team really wants to sandbag by having 'mechanical problems' it would he hard to prove otherwise short of a team member 'fessing up.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2648186)   #16
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any number of scenarios would legitimate "sand-bagging". They could intentionally break a rule and unfortunately receive a drive-through, putting them at the back of the pack.

All they'd need to do is line up incorrectly!

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 15:05 (Ref:2648225)   #17
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So would putting in a potential enduro driver (national or international) be considered "Sand Bagging"? (FWIW us AFL folk call it Tanking)
Old 9 Mar 2010, 23:52 (Ref:2648611)   #18
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Start & Park, NASCAR style..

If VESA is being payed to turn up, then the teams (who are part of VESA) need to perform as well as they can. Otherwise they should not be part of the series.

OR, VESA should put the pressure on Mr Walker (is he still there? if not his replacement) as part of the contract renewal that the V8's are allowed to run as a championship race... possibly at night?

If not tell him to stick his race meeting and go and run it at <insert new $300 trillion tilkedrome in some backwater country that has no motorsport pedigree but can pony up the sanction fees coz the secret police will shoot any desenters>
Old 10 Mar 2010, 09:30 (Ref:2648759)   #19
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Not privvy to it and I was only using them as an example, but I do no how contracts work...
Behind the scenes, street races are BIG business for the corporate sponsors. Potential clients are flown in, put up in hotels, wined/dined etc and the Melbourne GP is a massive drawcard compared to a round at Winton, especially for sponsors with international customers, like say WesTrac and the Chinese market they are breaking into.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 10:27 (Ref:2648789)   #20
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Not privvy to it and I was only using them as an example, but I do no how contracts work...
Behind the scenes, street races are BIG business for the corporate sponsors. Potential clients are flown in, put up in hotels, wined/dined etc and the Melbourne GP is a massive drawcard compared to a round at Winton, especially for sponsors with international customers, like say WesTrac and the Chinese market they are breaking into.
I dont doubt thats theres huge exposure at the GP, especially when there was also an F1 team with voda sponsorship. I just dont think it would be in the contract that you have to race at non events.

Either way, its still a stupid situation, and any real series wouldn't even need such a rule.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2648907)   #21
St00ge
Veteran

Quote:
I just dont think it would be in the contract that you have to race at non events.
I am pretty certain the teams REC would say they have to be at the AGP
Old 10 Mar 2010, 21:48 (Ref:2649189)   #22
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
I am pretty certain the teams REC would say they have to be at the AGP
Talking about a sponsor contract, not the REC.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 01:30 (Ref:2649313)   #23
St00ge
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah but I am willing to bet that their sponsorship contracts would be based on turning up to the 15 events that are set out in the REC which make up the v8 season (not championship)...
Old 11 Mar 2010, 07:26 (Ref:2649383)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm quite sure the sponsors would be quite keen to see the cars they back racing at the biggest event in Australian motorsport.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2649207)   #25
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
don't forget the alleged uproar from sponsors when VESA announced that they weren't going to be a part of the GP a few years ago...

...and you get more exposure at the front rather than the 2 second grab from the Ch10 Berreta Equivalent saying the cars are starting from pit line