Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 7 May 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2457329)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV's options are open for F1 return

I know it is everyone's favourite...another JV thread. It is very sad that all I seem to read on this forum is negative about the guy after all he has accomplished.

Anyway, there are reports that he is interested in an F1 return if there was something to come up. He would be a shoe-in for the USGP team that is rumoured to be erected. JV is interested because of the new rule changes giving the driver more control of the car rather than the electronic aids. He has been an advocate of this for years.

Another interesting point that has been raised are the experienced drivers (in JV's era) are doing well (Button, Rubens, Trulli). So, it does not seem to matter how old you are, it is how experienced you are because it is more up to the driver to "drive" the car.

Obviously a good car helps too. I remember during the MS/Ferrari winning era there were comments made that even a monkey could drive the Ferrari and win races. It would be very interesting for me (and many other Canadians) to see JV return to the grid.
Old 7 May 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2457336)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

He has been out of F1 too long now. And he hasn't impressed for almost a decade to boot.

He has accomplished a lot, but that was a long time ago. Nigel Mansell is more likely to come back.

Why would he be a shoe-in for a USF1 seat?
Old 7 May 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2457420)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
I know it is everyone's favourite...another JV thread. It is very sad that all I seem to read on this forum is negative about the guy after all he has accomplished.
Well, just look at the threads! When they are like this you can't really take them that seriously.

JV rocked. However he isn't suitable for F1 today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Why would he be a shoe-in for a USF1 seat?
Quite, for one they want US drivers.
Old 7 May 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2457426)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post

Quite, for one they want US drivers.
Which is where their little plan seems to fall down a lot,unless of course you think that Danica Patrick is world class material.Other than that maybe 'Jack Newtown' is the right man for the job.
Old 7 May 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2457341)   #5
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love JV 'n' all, but this isn't a good idea.
Old 7 May 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2457347)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He was driving quite well before BMW dropped him. Comparable with Heidfeld as I recall.

He'd dropped the bravado (all those comments about destroying Button which he didn't go on to do).

What about an opening at Renault? They made good comments about him during his brief foray into the team, and he gets on with Alonso.
Old 7 May 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2457476)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
What about an opening at Renault? They made good comments about him during his brief foray into the team, and he gets on with Alonso.
There isn't going to be an opening at Renault - Webber is going there, didn't you know?

Like everyone else has already said, Villeneuve has been out of F1 for way too long to make a comeback. And he's a bit on the old side to be re-launching his career in Formula One.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 7 May 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2457357)   #8
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
JV back in F1? Yes please, we need more characters and not these ones that sell out on every thing.
Old 7 May 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2457374)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly a character, but JV has been out of the game for far too long. And despite what he may think, F1 is still full of electronic gimmicks and wizardry.
Old 7 May 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2457406)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a link to the Quebec news site from which the interview appeared here. a google translated page here.

it does appear from the quotes that he is just thinking outloud as opposed to be seriously considering the idea and has not made any attempts or inquires into a possible return.

one interesting point is that at age 38 he does not feel that he is too old. he has done some racing and has always kept a good level of fitness so its not a streach that he could come back. but it would not be with a competetive team and as much as i like JV he has not really proven himself as a team builder. so he might be able to deal physically, but could he do so mentally?
Old 7 May 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2457384)   #11
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
It would be very interesting for me (and many other Canadians) to see JV return to the grid.
Can't you look forward to some young Canadians coming into the sport rather than back to 12 years ago?
Old 7 May 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2457442)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who?
Old 7 May 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2457445)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Who?
JV! That Dutch bloke.
Old 7 May 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2457449)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What again?
Old 7 May 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2457463)   #15
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jacques Villleneuve was racing a good 2 secs or so off the pace at Le Mans in the peugeot 908 - a car with similar downforce/coner speeds and more power.

I know Le Mans is a long circuit, but 2 seconds is a lot - he just hasnt got it anymore.

With JV, he was good in the late ninetees, but my mates arthritic yorkshire terrier could have won a Grand Prix for Williams in 1997. He was good, but he's lost it, like some drivers just do.
Old 7 May 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2457483)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
but my mates arthritic yorkshire terrier could have won a Grand Prix for Williams in 1997.
Prost said that a Monkey could win in a Williams,but I think that's taking it a bit far.
Old 7 May 2009, 20:12 (Ref:2457496)   #17
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Prost said that a Monkey could win in a Williams,but I think that's taking it a bit far.

I thought it was Mansell who said that (in 1992)?
Old 7 May 2009, 20:38 (Ref:2457510)   #18
scoobiesnoop
Rookie

England
UK
scoobiesnoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I used to love watching JV drive (but his singing sucks). I remember at one of Villeneuve's early GP's, he set a time (qualifying I think) and the camera cut to Eddie Irvine (in a Ferrari) raising his eyebrows because the time was SO fast. Villeneuve was all about letting it hang out (a little like hamilton) I really enjoyed watching him. If he can get back into F1 then I'll be a happy bunny, - what chance monster too??
Old 7 May 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2457533)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Think it was Andretti referring to the Lotus in '78 actually.
Old 7 May 2009, 23:27 (Ref:2457607)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I thought that it was Prost that said that about the 92 Williams ?
Old 8 May 2009, 04:15 (Ref:2457692)   #21
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read the complete article linked here, and the interesting part is: «Je veux que ce soit clair: je ne suis présentement pas en pourparlers avec qui que ce soit pour retourner en F-1, précise-t-il. J'ai simplement jasé avec Jock, et il m'a dit que j'aimerais ça."

Which means: "I want to make myself clear: I'm am not talking to anybody right now concerning going back to F1. I've simply chit-chatted with Jock (Clear) and he told me I would love it.

Clear has been telling him since the BR001 was rolled out that he would love the new cars with their small wings and their reliance on lower downforce and increased driver input. He should know: he was his engineer at Williams and he saw what Jacques could do with slicks and the low downforce setups he preferred.

There's also a reminder of how he had criticized (and was fined for it) the rule changes towards grooved tires, narrower wings and legalized driving aids. He says people thought there were no more spins because the drivers were too good, but it's now becoming obvious that it was just because of the electronics and the different rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
With JV, he was good in the late ninetees, but my mates arthritic yorkshire terrier could have won a Grand Prix for Williams in 1997. He was good, but he's lost it, like some drivers just do.
Well then how come one of the blind athritic dogs he beat (so inferior to blind athritic dog) is now leading the drivers' championship (is he still first??)? And his blind teamate dog in 97, whom he clearly dominated, why was he good enough to finish third in the WDC two years afterwards? Yeah I know he got completely beaten by Alonso later, but he was a special puppy in an altogether different kind of car, no ???
Old 8 May 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2457878)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
I've read the complete article linked here, and the interesting part is: «Je veux que ce soit clair: je ne suis présentement pas en pourparlers avec qui que ce soit pour retourner en F-1, précise-t-il. J'ai simplement jasé avec Jock, et il m'a dit que j'aimerais ça."

Which means: "I want to make myself clear: I'm am not talking to anybody right now concerning going back to F1. I've simply chit-chatted with Jock (Clear) and he told me I would love it.
Bosh! Thanks for the context
Old 8 May 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2458122)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
Well then how come one of the blind athritic dogs he beat (so inferior to blind athritic dog) is now leading the drivers' championship (is he still first??)? And his blind teamate dog in 97, whom he clearly dominated, why was he good enough to finish third in the WDC two years afterwards? Yeah I know he got completely beaten by Alonso later, but he was a special puppy in an altogether different kind of car, no ???
I'll stand to be corrected here, but didn't Button beat him at BAR/Honda?
Old 8 May 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2458131)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
.......but didn't Button beat him at BAR/Honda?
Indeed he did...and a "blind arthritic dog" at that!
Old 8 May 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2457864)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
What again?
I hadnt realised that so many people were Jos Verstappen fans
#CANCERSUCKS
Closed Thread