Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Mar 2010, 01:44 (Ref:2653163)   #1
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will F1 Return to Indianapolis?

Some say yes, some say no, some say maybe.

F1 considers return to Indianapolis for US grand prix
Guardian
March 14, 2010

Indianapolis is still a logical venue for a US Formula One grand prix and a return is on the cards, according to the sport's commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone.

"It is [a possibility]," Ecclestone said. "It's only the fact that it's all the wrong crowd and the wrong people ... nothing worked there really, we'd have to have a big change round. But we'd like to get back there."

What the heck does Bernie mean by "...all the wrong crowd and the wrong people." Perhaps he would prefer the "crowd" that attended last year's Turkish GP?

Speedway, F1 discussing race's return to Indianapolis
Indianapolis Business Journal
March 15, 2010

Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials confirmed Monday morning that they want to host a Formula One race again and that they are in discussions to bring the series back to the city.

IMS’ position followed comments by F1 leader Bernie Ecclestone published in Sunday's Guardian newspaper in England. Ecclestone told the newspaper “we’d like to get back there,” referring to Indianapolis, possibly as soon as 2011.

No serious talks to bring Formula One back to Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Indianapolis Star
March 15, 2010

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone suggested he would like the racing series to return to Indianapolis some day, but there aren't any serious talks to bring back the U.S. Grand Prix.

"In terms of negotiations, nothing is happening at this time," said Indianapolis Motor Speedway spokesman Eric Powell.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 01:58 (Ref:2653169)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Not anytime soon no...

"The wrong people and wrong crowd" I have no idea what Bernie means?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 03:02 (Ref:2653187)   #3
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With all the times Bernie put his fat foot in his big mouth while attending the USGP, I have to believe he is doing it again and really doesn't want a race there. Remember the digs against the US fan base, ("F1 doesn't need the US") or his stupid comments about Danica Patrick?

I have the feeling the "wrong people" are the ones in charge at IMS who won't pay his exorbitant prices to host a race. One of the reasons Tony George lost his job was because of how much he spent on the facilities to placate F1. Unfortunately for Bernie and fortunately for the taxpayers; the US, Indiana or Indianapolis governments aren't going to bankroll an F1 race.

The "wrong crowd" are probably the 100,000 unwashed, uncultured masses who only were paying $100 US or less to attend an F1 race at Indy. Bernie would rather have 30,000 cultured snobs paying $1,500 a ticket at some "classier" location like Manhattan, Vegas or Miami Beach; NONE of which are queuing up to build an F1 track.

I don't see it ever coming back to Indy until Bernie goes the way of Max. Many Indianapolis residents expressed delight in the local press when the F1 circus left town because of Bernie's arrogance.

Until then we'll have races in places where governments shower him with cash while the fans stay home. The good news is; as the grandstands grow ever more empty, the government cash will dry up and so will the stupid venues.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2653505)   #4
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
With all the times Bernie put his fat foot in his big mouth while attending the USGP, I have to believe he is doing it again and really doesn't want a race there. Remember the digs against the US fan base, ("F1 doesn't need the US") or his stupid comments about Danica Patrick?

I have the feeling the "wrong people" are the ones in charge at IMS who won't pay his exorbitant prices to host a race. One of the reasons Tony George lost his job was because of how much he spent on the facilities to placate F1. Unfortunately for Bernie and fortunately for the taxpayers; the US, Indiana or Indianapolis governments aren't going to bankroll an F1 race.

The "wrong crowd" are probably the 100,000 unwashed, uncultured masses who only were paying $100 US or less to attend an F1 race at Indy. Bernie would rather have 30,000 cultured snobs paying $1,500 a ticket at some "classier" location like Manhattan, Vegas or Miami Beach; NONE of which are queuing up to build an F1 track.

I don't see it ever coming back to Indy until Bernie goes the way of Max. Many Indianapolis residents expressed delight in the local press when the F1 circus left town because of Bernie's arrogance.

Until then we'll have races in places where governments shower him with cash while the fans stay home. The good news is; as the grandstands grow ever more empty, the government cash will dry up and so will the stupid venues.

Vegas, classy?

Old 16 Mar 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2653360)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Have to say, really not a massive fan of the Indianapolis track, but regardless, it'd be good to see F1 back in the US.

Some bizzare Bernie comments, but nothing too new/shocking.

Selby
Old 16 Mar 2010, 10:43 (Ref:2653369)   #6
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need to go to Road America. Or Watkins Glen. Or Laguna Seca. Trouble is, they may need to butcher the tracks to do so.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2653503)   #7
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nea View Post
They need to go to Road America. Or Watkins Glen. Or Laguna Seca. Trouble is, they may need to butcher the tracks to do so.
I'd rather not have a GP.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2653373)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Which may give me some ideas on the Tracks section of the forum...

I don't see why in alot of these places (geographical restrictions apply in some cases) ((what a song lyric that'd be!)) they don't just put this giant run off around the current layout. Ok, I know it's not ideal, but it's better than butchering the actual circuit.

I have this strange image of modern day F1 cars racing (ok, tongue in cheek) around the Nordschliefe full of tarmac run off areas!

Selby
Old 16 Mar 2010, 10:53 (Ref:2653374)   #9
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
Are there enough Pikeys to supply that much tarmac though?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 10:56 (Ref:2653378)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
lmao You'd have to ask Mr Brundle

Selby
Old 16 Mar 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2653428)   #11
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"It's only the fact that it's all the wrong crowd and the wrong people ..."

Could he be refferring to the people that where rude enough to show their displeasure when 6 cars started the 2005 Grand Prix? People that had paid to see a show not a farce...
Old 16 Mar 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2653497)   #12
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I was in the stands between Oval Turns 1 and 2 for that one; I'm glad I missed the semi soccer riot over by start/finish.

I suppose the one up-side was that having only seix cars made it a lot easier to carry on a conversation during the race.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2653537)   #13
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie E
"It's only the fact that it's all the wrong crowd and the wrong people..."
What an offensive comment to the true motor racing fans that attended the races at indy! I'm one of the people who usually gives Bernie the benefit of the doubt, and I certainly don't hate him quite as enthusiastically as some people on here, but what a load of elitist horse$!&#.

I'd love to see a US GP but I think that any racetrack owner in The States would probably live a longer, happier life if they were never introduced to Mr. E.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 15:20 (Ref:2653546)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forget Indianapolis - Formula 1 should go to Barber Motorsports Park instead if they want to race in the US, and they wouldn't have to butcher the track either.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2653558)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
Forget Indianapolis - Formula 1 should go to Barber Motorsports Park instead if they want to race in the US, and they wouldn't have to butcher the track either.
At ~3700m, and reasonably fast I don't think the laps would be long enough. Bring back Caesars Palace Car Park I say - a punishing physical challenge at least, with all that anticlockwise twistyness. Then again, have they built over it? They could always rebuild it elsewhere, if you have a big enough car park.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2656836)   #16
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
Indeed, forget Indianapolis, the road course wasn't exactly the best around.
However, the fans and attendance were better than you get at any of the new circuits.

The stands were full at Indianapolis, and like jab said, several times the numbers at other venues. That warrants going to America again. But of course Bernie doesn't like the fact that tickets there were actually affordable for common folk.

Like so many have already said, until he's gone, there's nothing. "Wrong type of people". Like others have said, what an elitist piece of horse****.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 05:19 (Ref:2657032)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
Indeed, forget Indianapolis, the road course wasn't exactly the best around.
However, the fans and attendance were better than you get at any of the new circuits.

The stands were full at Indianapolis, and like jab said, several times the numbers at other venues. That warrants going to America again. But of course Bernie doesn't like the fact that tickets there were actually affordable for common folk.
Tony George got something right.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2657159)   #18
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Tony George got something right.
What Tony George thinks is right and what Bernie thinks is right are two different things sadly!
Old 21 Mar 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2657460)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces View Post
What Tony George thinks is right and what Bernie thinks is right are two different things sadly!
When it came to ticket pricing Tony George got it right. However the differences between Tony George and Bernie arose over the fees demanded by Bernie and we all know where that leads to, no GP.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 15:36 (Ref:2653552)   #20
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
It looks like a good track. Nice elevation changes, overtaking opportunity and selection of curves (albeit mainly hairpins).

Maybe not for F1 then.....

Selby
Old 22 Mar 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2658177)   #21
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will F1 return to Indianapolis?

Not while Bernie's in charge.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2658190)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFreak View Post
Not while Bernie's in charge.
Please, can you elaborate for the benefit of those who may not have read the entire thread or might not understand F1 politics?
Old 23 Mar 2010, 02:33 (Ref:2658334)   #23
deletraz
Rookie

United States
Phoenix, AZ
deletraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Please, can you elaborate for the benefit of those who may not have read the entire thread or might not understand F1 politics?
I don't mean to speak for RaceFreak, but I think Bernie creates a few stumbling blocks.

For one, he just doesn't seem to like the place much. He was always fairly disparaging of the track and city, and in fact refused to stay in Indianapolis -- he flew in and out of Chicago each day during race weekends, as I understand it.

Much more significantly, though, was his total inflexibility regarding the sanctioning fees. The speedway lost money on the event because the fee was so high, and Tony George has a policy of never accepting financial help from the government. If Bernie would have lowered the fee they would still be racing at Indy.

Since the recession Bernie seems to be far more flexible on fees -- Montreal's deal is far cheaper now, from what I understand. That might be a point in Indy's favor.

I think there's a bigger issue than Bernie, though, and it's the fact the Tony George isn't connected to the speedway anymore. He was very aggressive in bringing in new events and spending money for improvements and modifications, and that's a big part of why his sisters kicked him out. The new regime at Indy figures to be far more conservative in its deal-making, and very likely to want a nearly guaranteed profit from any future race. That's hard to envision.

One other note on Bernie -- I spoke to Peter Windsor about this last summer (before his exile), and he suggested that if Bernie says it's clear the next USGP will not be at Indy... then you should probably assume the next race will be at Indy. Always assume the opposite of any public statement from Bernie.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2653585)   #24
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 in Alabama?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 16:51 (Ref:2653589)   #25
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
Might not be as unpopular as you think. After all, F1 engines are V8s.