Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jun 2010, 07:50 (Ref:2702321)   #1
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How innovative have Ferrari been?

While watching the Turkish GP, I wondered just how innovative have Ferrari been over the years?

Without dioubt they have made many fine cars, but have they ever been truly innovative?
(e.g. Ground effect, side radiators, difusers, high/low nose, etc?)

Have they simply picked up other teams ideas and fed them into their development system for later that season or the next season's car or, as some cynics may suggest, simply canvassed to have other teams good ideas banned?

P
Old 1 Jun 2010, 07:57 (Ref:2702326)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I can't think of any Ferrari innovations but then I'm no expert when it comes to technical things. Enzo was initially against rear-engined cars, stating that one never saw a cart pulling a horse, so there was a lack of innovation and foresight in that instance.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 08:02 (Ref:2702328)   #3
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I can't think of any Ferrari innovations but then I'm no expert when it comes to technical things. Enzo was initially against rear-engined cars, stating that one never saw a cart pulling a horse, so there was a lack of innovation and foresight in that instance.
Thanks SH.
Echoes my thoughts exactly. For the life of me I can't think of anything truly innovative either, which is why I've asked the question just in case someone knows otherwise. Just to straighten the record of course.
P
Old 1 Jun 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2702330)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Hang on I've thought of a couple from recent seasons. 1) Those hub cap things and 2) That little slot half way between the front wing and the cockpit. Still, those are refinements rather than the game-changing innovations of Chapman, Murray and Newey.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 08:10 (Ref:2702335)   #5
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
transverse gearbox in the 312T ??
semi-automatic transmission in the early 90s .. ??

Ciao Marco
Old 1 Jun 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2702502)   #6
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
transverse gearbox in the 312T ??
semi-automatic transmission in the early 90s .. ??
Yep, I think that the F189 was also the first with a 7 speed 'box. I can't for the life of me think of anything else. Maybe their rumored spray-on electrically activated aerodynamic coating stuff a few years ago. Pretty innovative but highly impractical.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2702372)   #7
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah semi automatic gearbox was the first thing that came to my mind.

How about the periscope exhausts? Or am I getting confused on this one?
Old 1 Jun 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2702385)   #8
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the quickly banned flexifloor?
Old 1 Jun 2010, 10:06 (Ref:2702398)   #9
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flexing front wings
Old 1 Jun 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2702416)   #10
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The box tyre warmers, mirrors on stalks that are actually aerodynamic devices, lollypop with lights (although this didn't seem to work for them in the end).

If Ferrari aren't inovators then how come it has been said so many that "if Ferrari wasn't doing it, it would be banned"?
Old 1 Jun 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2702493)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Ferrari were first with the semi-auto boxes in F1 (or rather, John Barnard was). But they certainly weren't the first semi-auto boxes in motorsport (Porsche got there first I think).

Ferrari have been very 'innovative' with logo's just lately.

Apparently, they have a huge update for Valencia, which will probably involve having spent lots of hours in a wind tunnel.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2702497)   #12
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

Apparently, they have a huge update for Valencia, which will probably involve having spent lots of hours in a wind tunnel.
I knew I could rely on you Marbot.

P
Old 1 Jun 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2702508)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Rumour has it that the update will also include some 'go-faster' stripes (white) and yet another variation on the engine cover logo, which isn't in anyway supposed to attract anyones attention. The car may even be a slightly different shade of red, and again, this isn't to draw attention to something else.

In the meantime, Ferrari will be unable to continually pound around various test tracks like it used to do, (which was the one thing that it was really good at) despite having enough money to build ten more.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2702855)   #14
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Rumour has it that the update will also include some 'go-faster' stripes (white) and yet another variation on the engine cover logo
802?
Old 1 Jun 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2702683)   #15
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Ferrari were first with the semi-auto boxes in F1 (or rather, John Barnard was). But they certainly weren't the first semi-auto boxes in motorsport (Porsche got there first I think).

Bit of a turn around since Enzo himself is supposed to have said "Arodynamics are for people who cannot build good engines"
Old 1 Jun 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2702730)   #16
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Bit of a turn around since Enzo himself is supposed to have said "Arodynamics are for people who cannot build good engines"
The late Enzo was very right about that one!
Old 1 Jun 2010, 13:44 (Ref:2702516)   #17
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney View Post
The box tyre warmers, mirrors on stalks that are actually aerodynamic devices, lollypop with lights (although this didn't seem to work for them in the end).

If Ferrari aren't inovators then how come it has been said so many that "if Ferrari wasn't doing it, it would be banned"?
I think you are right with the tyre box warmers (ovens).
But didn't they get banned eventually?
Or at least written out of the rules?
I can't remember just how long they were used before being outlawed?

P
Old 1 Jun 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2702517)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
So that's it then, Ferrari made toasters.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2702528)   #19
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
;
Quote:
So that's it then, Ferrari made toasters.
Fresh pizza anyone. It might have a hint of release fluid and burnt rubber but...

Idea...They may have already been recycled as book cookers.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2702555)   #20
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But they certainly weren't the first semi-auto boxes in motorsport (Porsche got there first I think).
Are you referring to the Porsche PDK, a double clutch gear box in the 962? I am not sure that was a semi automatic, but it certainly was the first double clutch box out there.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 15:33 (Ref:2702576)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Are you referring to the Porsche PDK, a double clutch gear box in the 962? I am not sure that was a semi automatic, but it certainly was the first double clutch box out there.
Yes. But! (from wiki):

"In Formula One, the first attempt at clutch-less gear changing was in the early 1970s, with the system being tested by the Lotus team."

So, not Ferrari anyway, according to that.

Semi-auto boxes were around in road cars for a few decades before F1 got hold of them.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2702582)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm...

In 1994, when everyone had to make an opening in the airbox to lower engine power, Ferrari made the opening on the sides of the airbox instead of on the back of it like all the others, giving them a (minute) advantage.

Didn't last long, though.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

But hey, their V12 engines!
Didn't they sound great?
Old 1 Jun 2010, 15:59 (Ref:2702590)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post

But hey, their V12 engines!
Didn't they sound great?
Yeah, but again, not a Ferrari innovation. Many WW1 aeroplanes had V12 engines. Renault produced one of the first ever V12s for aviation use, just before they became popular for some 'high end' road cars.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2702620)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I never said they were their innovation, they just sounded great.
Old 1 Jun 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2702729)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
I never said they were their innovation, they just sounded great.
So you did. And you're right, they did sound great. Now I have to watch 'Superleague' to hear the same noise.