Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Aug 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3115778)   #1
Coopz21 x
Rookie

England
South West, UK
Coopz21 x has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
RLL Future..

Firstly sorry if there is a thread feel free to link and delete this if there is.

Anyway seeing as the BMW didnt really get any upgrades this year, what are people thoughts will happen at the end if this year? will BMW stop? or do you think there will be a Z4? Personally i hope the M3 stays but any BMW will be nice!
Old 4 Aug 2012, 00:32 (Ref:3115813)   #2
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dreams:
The factory in Munich (motorsports division Explodes)

Hopes: We never see a BMW race in GTE again (unless they make a real sports car, ala Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette...

Reality: Wheather or not the Z4 will race depends only on BMW, and how much they want to exert themselves with ACO/IMSA...right now it seems they are just playing the feild, and checking the temperature before they commit.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 00:47 (Ref:3115821)   #3
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
Dreams:
Hopes: We never see a BMW race in GTE again (unless they make a real sports car, ala Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette...
I'm sure this is in jest but wow.

To answer I would be glad to see BMW continue. They have basically told us that it will be the Z4 or bust(leave the class). Another premium manufacturer is always good for the class.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 02:17 (Ref:3115842)   #4
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Dreams:

Reality: Wheather or not the Z4 will race depends only on BMW, and how much they want to exert themselves with ACO/IMSA...right now it seems they are just playing the feild, and checking the temperature before they commit.
Wow, you dream the factory explodes and hope a premium brand doesn't race in the premium GT class ever again? I get that your joking (I think) but like it or not BMW having a presence in GTE adds to the class and right now GT racing needs all the entries it can get. Personally, I'm hoping for an E89 GTE Z4 racing in the ALMS next year. Hopefully the politics get worked out and we can continue to enjoy seeing BMW racing with Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche and now Viper.

Last edited by pach233; 4 Aug 2012 at 02:43.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3115915)   #5
Coopz21 x
Rookie

England
South West, UK
Coopz21 x has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Dreams:

No to the first part. just no
Old 4 Aug 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3116111)   #6
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Dreams:

Wow, must be hard on you that BMW builds better sports cars than your overpriced Fiats

On topic: Wasn't there an article by John Dagys a few weeks ago in which Jens Marquardt talked about a GTE version of the Z4 being a possibility?

I don't think BMW will leave the ALMS as long as the GT class offers healthy competition.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3115816)   #7
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I'm hoping to see the z4 next year. As much of a Ferrari fan I am, I love BMW Motorsport too so seeing them continuing in GT would make me very happy.

I really see IMSA buckling and allowing them to run an upgraded Z4 GT3 next year.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3115921)   #8
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I'm afraid the chances of seeing a Z4 GTE car w/o significant (or should I say blatant?) waivers is pretty much zero. I like the looks of a current Z4, and I like the looks and sounds of a GT3 version. But its arrival to GTE can do a lot of damage...
Old 4 Aug 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3115925)   #9
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like BMW hasn't had significant waivers in the past?
Old 4 Aug 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3115929)   #10
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The ACO would let BMW get away with murder. The E46 GTR never saw production, the E92 was a silhouette car, and a GTE Z4 would be even more ridiculous. I love BMW, but their GT cars are pushing it too far.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 15:43 (Ref:3115995)   #11
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
The ACO would let BMW get away with murder. The E46 GTR never saw production, the E92 was a silhouette car, and a GTE Z4 would be even more ridiculous. I love BMW, but their GT cars are pushing it too far.
Eventually BMW did make a M3 GTR road car.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3116023)   #12
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think the current M3 is a silhouette car. Doesn't it use the factory unibody?

Chris
Old 4 Aug 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3116135)   #13
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I don't think the current M3 is a silhouette car. Doesn't it use the factory unibody?

Chris
The M3 was given a waiver that allowed the engine to be moved into the bulkhead. Even if it uses the same chassis (not sure), the engine is mounted towards the middle and there is a transaxle in the back. Not even the same concept as the production M3.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 08:49 (Ref:3116242)   #14
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The M3 was given a waiver that allowed the engine to be moved into the bulkhead. Even if it uses the same chassis (not sure), the engine is mounted towards the middle and there is a transaxle in the back. Not even the same concept as the production M3.
That doesn't make it a Silhouette in any way.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 13:54 (Ref:3116314)   #15
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Wow, must be hard on you that BMW builds better sports cars than your overpriced Fiats

On topic: Wasn't there an article by John Dagys a few weeks ago in which Jens Marquardt talked about a GTE version of the Z4 being a possibility?

I don't think BMW will leave the ALMS as long as the GT class offers healthy competition.
Hot sauce: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...to-z4-in-2013/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquardt
I think this is really what we have to be honest with ourselves about. Looking at the potential the Z4 has, I think it's a logical evolution that could be the solution for us. We just have to make it work.
__
The basis has to be the GT3. We just have to see how much in what area has to be modified.
__
Between GT3, where people say [there are no real] regulations, and what ACO and IMSA have, which is a clear set of regulations, there are some differences. And we need to figure out how we can bring those together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
they'd cannibalize the hell out of M3 sales.
Providing they're able to alter short-term production in accordance with demand, I can't see too many issues. The engine and (base) chassis already exist - it's not as if there's a great amount of further development required. It's just a matter of modifying production process to minimise loss.

As someone else has already mentioned, seems pretty unlikely they'd have too many issues selling a limited run of V8-engined Z4s.
Seems more likely that, if there's any impact, it'd be M3 coupe sales (rather than the range as a whole).

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 5 Aug 2012 at 14:02.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 12:02 (Ref:3115941)   #16
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What waivers does everyone think the Z4 would need?

Tom.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3115943)   #17
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
What waivers does everyone think the Z4 would need?

Tom.
For starters, the Z4 GT3 uses a 4.4 V8 which is not available in the Z4 road car.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 14:18 (Ref:3115975)   #18
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
For starters, the Z4 GT3 uses a 4.4 V8 which is not available in the Z4 road car.
It still mystifies me why BMW havent built a V8 powered Z4 yet. No doubt it would sell quite well, Im sure they could make a profit out of it somehow, even if it were a limited run.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3116114)   #19
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
It still mystifies me why BMW havent built a V8 powered Z4 yet. No doubt it would sell quite well, Im sure they could make a profit out of it somehow, even if it were a limited run.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3116168)   #20
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
That's a good point.

Well they should do what they did with the M3 GTR and build 4 (?) and charge an arm and a leg for them, they'd still sell all 4 of them quite easily.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 14:01 (Ref:3116315)   #21
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Not likely.

The E36/7 coupe never sold that well, the E86 based M coupe also really never enjoyed much more than a cult status either. The current top end E89 Z4, the 3.5is starts at about 70k, about 10k above the E92 M3, figure another 15+k on top of that for an M version, and I don't see it doing much to an M3. The 1M coupe was more of a threat, hence why it was limited production.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 14:24 (Ref:3115978)   #22
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be like a well built TVR imo if they stuck the V8 in a road going Z4.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 23:31 (Ref:3116151)   #23
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wellif BMW M division finally built there case for the Z4 M they could put the old M3 engine in that.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 02:33 (Ref:3116185)   #24
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Mercedes has a C-Class coupe in the C63AMG, and they have a two coupe in the SLK, which also has an AMG model. The Z4 and M3 are two totally different cars like the Mercedes vehicles are. I think it'd add sales, not cannibalize the M3.
Old 5 Aug 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3116369)   #25
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
The E92 doesn't have that much left it it anyways. The F30-based car will be a more grown up M4 I suppose, as there'll be no 3-series coupe.