Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 May 2004, 14:08 (Ref:973366)   #1
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Martin And James

I ve been watching a few recorded grand prixs from early last year and especially San Marino 03 and i noticed a few times that James and Martin had a few digs at each other during the grand Prix i think the two most obvious ones were from Martin when James said " Kimi is only 19 sec's behind our leader so when our leader pits they will be very close" and Martin sarcastically replied with " Oh yes thats going to be fasanating" and The other was from a Barrachello pit stop where James said " Look at that it's like clockwork" and Martin said "umm...very nice James"

What i want to know is do they get on or not.

Your Thoughts??
Old 17 May 2004, 14:12 (Ref:973367)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They get on well enough, but James does irritate Martin from time to time.

That particular race Martin obviously had a lower-than-usual tolerance for James' dullard ramblings.
Old 17 May 2004, 14:29 (Ref:973381)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How Martin can last a whole GP season with this James god knows....
Old 17 May 2004, 15:30 (Ref:973484)   #4
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would probably be in jail now if I was Brundle.
Old 17 May 2004, 16:16 (Ref:973515)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't forget that before Imola there had been the Brazilian GP, and James excelled himself that day:

Firstly, Pizzonia retired from the race early on. Every time Webber came into the pits thereafter, James kept insisting it was Pizzonia.

He kept asking whether it was time to go onto dries despite the river at turn 3 and the obvious state of downpour!

Every time someone lost the lead, he would exclaim: "Oh, and driver X has thrown away an almost certain victory." He said this when Barrichello broke down, when Raikkonen was passed for the lead and when Coulthard was passed for the lead.

When Fisichella passed Raikkonen for the lead, on superior Bridgestone wets, James shouted "WHAT A MOVE!" despite the fact it was clear Raikkonen was struggling and had also understeered very badly into the corner he was passed. Thus, it was a very easy move.

Mix this in with the usual James mutterings ("Could you just explain to the viewers what we mean when we say 'tyres' Martin?") and you have a nightmare evening.

2003 was a vintage year all round for James and there was a noticeable tension between him and Martin at some races, particularly Austria after James had asked for the umpteenth time after a slight period of drizzle whether it was time to change to wets.
Old 17 May 2004, 18:24 (Ref:973656)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
not to mention those vintage Quly commentaries....

JA: "and JPM is onnn POOOOOOOOLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE........ no he is not"

and ofcourse... Martin got confused at Monza to when JA was jumping up and down and shouting all over that JPM had the lead only to realize AFTER a WHOLE LAP of child like squealing that it was actually GENE!!!!
Old 17 May 2004, 18:44 (Ref:973676)   #7
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yippee! Another JA bash thread. I need some entertainment
Old 17 May 2004, 18:49 (Ref:973683)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JA and MB don't travel around together by the sound of things, like Murray and Martin used to
Old 17 May 2004, 20:24 (Ref:973754)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's just no cohesion between the pair. There were times last year you could sense an awkwardness between them and you felt embarrassed for them in a way. I think this awkwardness made people perceive Martin as snobbish as well for some reason.
Old 17 May 2004, 21:03 (Ref:973802)   #10
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
I would probably be in jail now if I was Brundle.
i feel so sorry for martin it must honestly feel like talking to a brick wall, when working with JA, he makes mistakes stupider than murray, too right martin doesnt travel with james, i wouldnt wanna be seen with that idiot in the pitlane.

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 17 May 2004 at 21:04.
Old 17 May 2004, 21:07 (Ref:973808)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsmith
Yippee! Another JA bash thread. I need some entertainment
Bash no, although reasoned arguments as to why he isn't very good are fine.

Shouldn't be too challenging

Last edited by Adam43; 17 May 2004 at 21:08.
Old 17 May 2004, 21:28 (Ref:973831)   #12
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
and ofcourse... Martin got confused at Monza to when JA was jumping up and down and shouting all over that JPM had the lead only to realize AFTER a WHOLE LAP of child like squealing that it was actually GENE!!!!
That was surely the dullards crowning moment .

Did anyone else see the highlights to that race, they actually went to the trouble of re-recording a whole lap of comentary to cover it up!
Old 17 May 2004, 21:45 (Ref:973860)   #13
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sooner they sack Martin the better.
Old 17 May 2004, 21:57 (Ref:973870)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*falls of chair*

Typo, surely?
Old 17 May 2004, 22:09 (Ref:973880)   #15
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer Martin over that other clown any day.Theres no need to say the race starts Noooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww at the top of ones voice when evryone including blind Freddie can see it for themselves.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 17 May 2004 at 22:10.
Old 17 May 2004, 22:11 (Ref:973884)   #16
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
The sooner they sack Martin the better.
No offence fella but r you mad. Martin is the best commentator i have heard in any sport commentary with an excellent vocab and a knowlage for the sport more than any other and that includes TJ
Old 18 May 2004, 04:34 (Ref:974012)   #17
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
esorniloc = James Allen??

or just Colin Rose?

Last edited by DavidStHubbins; 18 May 2004 at 04:36.
Old 18 May 2004, 08:16 (Ref:974093)   #18
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
*falls of chair*

Typo, surely?
guess so Adam (look closely at your post... wheres the other f )

And Yeah, come back Murrary all is forgiven.... Just to get JA off our Tv's, although I have begun to tune him out now (and the boring races help, as i usually fall asleep before the end of the race at the moment)
The other question is who would you get in to replace JA, if you had the option? Ben Edwards perhaps? Or another ex driver (Hill maybe?)

Ed
Old 18 May 2004, 08:33 (Ref:974108)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans

Replacement, the path is clear: Ben Edwards. I see no need for another ex-driver.

On digital Hill was good, but he didn't commentate as such. He was part of the alternate commentary and this was more chatty.
Old 18 May 2004, 08:56 (Ref:974124)   #20
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben Edwards was a superb national racer too - when I worked with him at Brands in the commentary booth he'd commentate on the days events up until the last call for the Caterham race, then run front first down the ladder from the top box to get to his car, before driving supremely to victory. The man was a VERY good driver.

Very good commentator too, with an intensity in his voice that grabs your attention. Couple that with his knowledge, quick wit, and great interviewing technique and you've got someone who should be the ruddy F1 commentator! Crysalis TV are made up of good people, who would listen if we all wrote to them, so maybe that's what we should do...? I wonder if any of the ITV lot look at these forums?
Old 18 May 2004, 10:07 (Ref:974167)   #21
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How about the swerve?
Old 18 May 2004, 10:32 (Ref:974186)   #22
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the guys who do the V8 Brutes commentary?
Old 18 May 2004, 11:06 (Ref:974211)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spider
Ben Edwards was a superb national racer too - when I worked with him at Brands in the commentary booth he'd commentate on the days events up until the last call for the Caterham race, then run front first down the ladder from the top box to get to his car, before driving supremely to victory. The man was a VERY good driver.

Very good commentator too, with an intensity in his voice that grabs your attention. Couple that with his knowledge, quick wit, and great interviewing technique and you've got someone who should be the ruddy F1 commentator! Crysalis TV are made up of good people, who would listen if we all wrote to them, so maybe that's what we should do...? I wonder if any of the ITV lot look at these forums?
Couldn't agree more. Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle would be the best pairing imaginable. He's great on the BTCC coverage and was always good for Eurosport on either F1 or CART.

One of my favourite commentators used to be Keith Heuwen from Sky's Superbike coverage, but he was hopeless whenever he did car races for them.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:25 (Ref:974227)   #24
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Ben Edwards is a great commentator get him on ITV for Monaco
Old 18 May 2004, 19:33 (Ref:974712)   #25
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by naughtymutt
What about the guys who do the V8 Brutes commentary?
I don't think they have microphones strong enough to cope with the screams!

Or if they did, then there'd be one annoyed sound engineer having to constantly adjust the levels!

But it IS funny how many times the name Ben Edwards comes up in any thread that mentions James Allen, isn't it?