Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Dec 2006, 01:08 (Ref:1782940)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So I'm guessing this means 7 won't be showing Champ Cars next year...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 6 Dec 2006, 01:13 (Ref:1782945)   #2
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Spot on Chatters, just going to show the taxi's
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 6 Dec 2006, 02:06 (Ref:1782968)   #3
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely!

But pete, my point is that if Channel 7 aren't going to broadcast the Champ Cars, will they even come???
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 6 Dec 2006, 02:09 (Ref:1782971)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why wouldnt they come? The crew at AVE could supply a full coverage to a good standard, and they dont even have to show the output in Australia. Now quite whether the Queensland Government would be very happy to prop up a race that nobody would be able to see domestically would be an interesting challenge, and question for Mr Beattie
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 6 Dec 2006, 02:15 (Ref:1782973)   #5
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to the US

Are the Champcar races televised in the US ? Practice? Who shows it?

Commercial reality may dictate there will be television coverage, but will it be shown in Aus?

Coch0 is out of his league when the politicians are holding the purse strings or so it seems.

SA, Tas & NT regard their events as successes, WA want international exposure, NSW not interested in sending more money the V8s way, & Coch0 walked from Vic.

Interesting days ahead.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 04:10 (Ref:1783016)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Are the Champcar races televised in the US ? Practice? Who shows it?
ABC/ESPN will be showing the 2007 CCWS. Potential audience grows by up to 50 million homes in 07 by this move to the channel
Old 6 Dec 2006, 04:34 (Ref:1783025)   #7
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would also suspect that the CCWS will be televised on ESPN on Austar/Foxtel as it was when CART was with those networks in the past and as the IRL has been in the recent past...

Plus if nothing comes off it maybe a user pays scenario where CCWS pays for the series to shown on Ch10 (or other) and then CCWS gets the ad revenue from that...
Old 6 Dec 2006, 05:06 (Ref:1783035)   #8
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
I would also suspect that the CCWS will be televised on ESPN on Austar/Foxtel as it was when CART was with those networks in the past and as the IRL has been in the recent past...

Plus if nothing comes off it maybe a user pays scenario where CCWS pays for the series to shown on Ch10 (or other) and then CCWS gets the ad revenue from that...
ESPN make a big deal about IRL so I'm not sure if they would cover Champ car + they have Nascar next year don't they...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 6 Dec 2006, 05:56 (Ref:1783045)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
ESPN make a big deal about IRL so I'm not sure if they would cover Champ car + they have Nascar next year don't they...
ABC/ESPN are showing both next, the difference being ABC/ESPN pays the IRL to cover their races, ChampCar are paying ABC/ESPN to have their races shown.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 06:00 (Ref:1783046)   #10
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
ABC/ESPN are showing both next, the difference being ABC/ESPN pays the IRL to cover their races, ChampCar are paying ABC/ESPN to have their races shown.
okay that will be cool then...I will be able to catch a race or two...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 6 Dec 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1783152)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah well- Race Director for CCWS next year for me!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 6 Dec 2006, 11:17 (Ref:1783204)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shame i was looking forward to seeing ChampCar full season on #7 and looking forward to the INDY , maybe INDY might not get televised on FTA TV in Australia.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 02:05 (Ref:1783753)   #13
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy was there before the V8's come aboard and will survive without them.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 02:59 (Ref:1783758)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyfiend
Perhaps. But I wouldn't want be a salesman for IMG trying to sell sponsorship of the event if the TV coverage domestically is being cut from 11 hours to 3. They may get a lot of people to the event, but local TV is where the money-maker.
If v8s pull out of the deal. Could we see 10 being courted to show the Indy telecast again.

This thing is all really childish. I find it appalling that TC is going to try and hold people to ransom like this.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 00:42 (Ref:1784591)   #15
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With ChampCar on the rise again the support categories will become less important.
Really? A roadracing/street racing only format is not going to excite to many US fans or US Sponsors. I just hope the "Three Amigo's" have exceptionally long pockets.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 00:47 (Ref:1784593)   #16
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
Really? A roadracing/street racing only format is not going to excite to many US fans or US Sponsors. I just hope the "Three Amigo's" have exceptionally long pockets.
Maybe you could explain yourself a bit better.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 01:12 (Ref:1784606)   #17
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe you could explain yourself a bit better.
Champcar will be running just street and roadcourses in the US and Canada in 2007. It has abandoned ovals, a risky venture in the US, where Oval racing is motorsport to many US fans. It will be running a spec Panoz chassis, which has been designed for roadracing/street courses only. Funding for the new Television package , is being funded by the new owners of Champcar and not outside sponsorship.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 01:18 (Ref:1784608)   #18
pete55
Veteran

I don't see what the problem with that is though. TC is doing his own TV package this year too. As for running road/street courses, i think that they are differentiating themselves from the Indy League.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 01:28 (Ref:1784615)   #19
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
As for running road/street courses, i think that they are differentiating themselves from the Indy League.
Personally Pete, I reckon this bit is a shame becuase it only widens the gap between Champ and IRL making the chances of getting back together even slimmer. For this form of racing to ever reach its previous lofty heights they must run as 1 class. I hope that eventually commonsence prevails and not only do we get to keep the Goldcost event which will be even better but we could see Team Aus racing in a real Indy500!
Old 8 Dec 2006, 04:58 (Ref:1784771)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Champcar will be running just street and roadcourses in the US and Canada in 2007. It has abandoned ovals, a risky venture in the US, where Oval racing is motorsport to many US fans.
What about Mexico, Australia, Europe and China

Oval racing isnt what it used to be in the American landscape. Have you seen attendance at open wheel ovals over the last year. Think of Bahrain.

Quote:
It will be running a spec Panoz chassis, which has been designed for roadracing/street courses only. Funding for the new Television package , is being funded by the new owners of Champcar and not outside sponsorship.
The Panoz chassis can be run on ovals, but it makes no sense on running just one oval a season.

Robert how do you know no outside sponsorship will be involved. The deal was only announced two weeks ago. Considering the extra houses connected to ABC/ESPN and the new events for 07, there is elevated sponsorship potential
Old 8 Dec 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1785413)   #21
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was going to post something mean to RR - but thought I better play nice.

Last edited by mac; 8 Dec 2006 at 22:22.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 02:36 (Ref:1785582)   #22
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
D.R.T., as far as ratings for '06 goes in the U.S., Toronto was the highest at 0.9. Six of the races on SPEED, including the last five, were 0.1s.
Thanks Indycool...the ratings were as I said Abysmal.
Quote:
Read closer, Robert. I said Open Wheel
Read what I underlined...Oval racing is where it is at in the US, racing a Sedan that is. Yes I know the IRL has poor oval ratings but Champcars street courses and roadracourses are worse.
Quote:
No doubt, but when we combine Race Director and International covergae aswell, that more than satisfies the Qld Govs objectives.
D.R.T. where are your statistics?
Quote:
Exactly. But you were adament that there would be no A1 at EC under any circumstances
If they do make it this far..they were very adamant under the Prince of not racing at EC.
Quote:
Inadequate coverage of each event

Please elaborate
Champ Car is at a disadvantage. Road and Street races are spread out in such a manner that makes it difficult to cover. Then the ratings are not sufficient for someone to invest in beter coverage. I dont ever remember Champ Car fans being happy with TV coverage. They complained about ABC/ESPN, Then SPEED, and on and on.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 9 Dec 2006 at 02:38.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 05:03 (Ref:1785634)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Indycool...the ratings were as I said Abysmal.
Very perceptive there. Point is we are talking International exposure versus US alone.

Quote:
Read what I underlined...Oval racing is where it is at in the US, racing a Sedan that is. Yes I know the IRL has poor oval ratings but Champcars street courses and roadracourses are worse.
Tv ratings for both are poor. Track attendance at street and road courses (outside of Indy 500) are far superior than oval events. The reason being for no ovals in 2007.

Quote:
If they do make it this far..they were very adamant under the Prince of not racing at EC.
Feet hurting from all that back tracking, Robert.

Quote:
They complained about ABC/ESPN, Then SPEED, and on and on.[/B]
Always wanting more, I dont see a problem there.

That said apart from potential audience, I didnt see a problem with speed.

ABC/ESPN will solve that. This would be pleasing for Indy organisers.
Old 9 Dec 2006, 05:52 (Ref:1785672)   #24
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Very perceptive there. Point is we are talking International exposure versus US alone
It is a US series, it requires good ratings in the US, to get sponsorship. By the way talking about ratings, where is your Race Director Statisics for the International viewers?
Quote:
[Tv ratings for both are poor. Track attendance at street and road courses (outside of Indy 500) are far superior than oval events. The reason being for no ovals in 2007.
But Abysmal TV ratings, what is needed for sponsorship.
Quote:
Always wanting more, I dont see a problem there.

That said apart from potential audience, I didnt see a problem with speed.

ABC/ESPN will solve that. This would be pleasing for Indy organisers.
Well you hope it has an impact, it did not as CART when the series was somewhat healthier.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 03:41 (Ref:1784689)   #25
Azza500
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
New Zealand
Azza500 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so is that why the rules were changed in IRL to exclude fords engines