Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 12 Sep 2014, 07:19 (Ref:3452460)   #476
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey does anyone know if the proposed combo of Steve Owen and Nick Cassidy in Booths old car is going to happen?
Old 12 Sep 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3452475)   #477
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Hey does anyone know if the proposed combo of Steve Owen and Nick Cassidy in Booths old car is going to happen?
Short answer no. Nick cant get back from Europe in time for the 1st round and may actually stay in Europe for most of their winter.

Steve Owen has resigned with another very good V8ST team who have yet to make a public announcement, so mums the word for the moment.

AV8 are still trying to finalize their driver line up so fingers crossed they can make that happen as the cars ready to go.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3452487)   #478
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Short answer no. Nick cant get back from Europe in time for the 1st round and may actually stay in Europe for most of their winter.

Steve Owen has resigned with another very good V8ST team who have yet to make a public announcement, so mums the word for the moment.

AV8 are still trying to finalize their driver line up so fingers crossed they can make that happen as the cars ready to go.
Thanks for the honest update Mark. Its great having Steve in the series so I look forward to an announcement. And lets hope AV8 can make it. Someone within NZST told me there are a few last minute deals to be sealed before Taupo
Old 12 Sep 2014, 21:36 (Ref:3452715)   #479
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post

... We have limited drivers that can afford to run at a top level in any form of expensive race car...
The obvious solution seems to be to make Tier One racing in this country more affordable. Who really cares if a V8ST can circulate at Ruapuna at 1:22.0 or a TLX at 1:23.0 of whatever the times are. Or that they need to be quicker than a 997 Cup Car.

If people can't afford to run them then the formula is wrong. No point in choosing machinery is too expensive for the masses.

Would you rather have a class of 14 cars that can do 1:22 laptimes with competitors really struggling financially, or a highly successful & well-supported class of consistently 30+ cars that run around the circuit at say 1:29s. It doesn't matter if Bairdo can go quicker in a Porsche.

And teams having to purchase parts through the series organisers at over-inflated pricing when they can buy them for less elsewhere seems to be a ridiculous situation and only contributing to the problem.

And... encourage car owners to run them whenever & wherever they want. I can recall the excitement throughout both the crowd and other competitors a few years ago when the Timaru-based NZV8 driver (his name has slipped my mind) turned up at a Club Day with his TL car.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3452720)   #480
GT 86
Racer

GT 86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mark; your comments above don't help any of the current situation, and in the least are emotive and at most untrue.
MSNZ are no more responsible for splitting the available pool than V8ST.
The fact that TMC and the initial group of V8ST investors didn't get on personally was the start of the end. I'm not apportioning blame..we all need to move on.

You are correct in that TMC did goes "tits up" because of the issues with the motorsport model in NZ. Those issues are still there. We have limited drivers that can afford to run at a top level in any form of expensive race car. Also personalities seem to determine a lot of the negative stuff that happens in our sport. That is still there and probably will never disappear...but it needs to be contained.

A combined grid was the answer in the short term, but that will not happen for the above reasons and commercial companies. At the recent V8ST Board meeting I understand the question was asked as to how many teams had funding for the whole year...and the positive response could be counted on one hand. I'm sure NZV8's are no better off. So once again we have a continuation of the slow death of V8 racing at Championship level. I hope V8ST do change their mind and accept the invitation to run at the NZGP in their own grid, but would prefer it if all could run as one. If MSNZ for the good of the sport (as it should) tried to legislate a coming together (for serious lack on my part of a better phrase) of these classes, we just get threatened with legal action. So where to from here? I have some ideas but until we get over what such-and-such did in the past to whomever for whatever reason, then the slow death of these classes will continue...and as a consequence the visual flagship of motorsport in NZ will suffer as well.
Nothing new in the above post, maybe I have spoken out of turn, but honestly; lets all take the next step before too late
This is a good post Raymond but the fact of the matter is we just cant move on like you say. MSNZ cant be trusted and just cant help but intervene at every possible opportunity, publicaly or on the sly and that is happening too much, wether it be calendars or GP weekends.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 00:20 (Ref:3452745)   #481
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
I've just read some background info on the nzgp debacle on velocities fb page.....hold your head in shame MSNZ. Why oh why do you continue to quash any possible opportunity to get things moving forward in this country? MSNZ seems to take some sort of perverse pleasure out of c**king things up everytime. No wonder so many categories dont want anything to do with them.
Please note my rant is not aimed at Crunch, I appreciate you being on here. This is aimed right at Brian Budd. Seems that Manfield were quite keen on the shared risk model offered by ST, and ST offered significant contribution to promoting the event and this idea got slammed by Budd who tells us they have appointed another promoter! Is that really the job of the so called governing body.....I think not.
Take your blinkers off Budd and MSNZ....you are the ones killing this aspect of the sport, not the renegade maverick bad boy cant do anything right STs

For crying out loud....this is not rocket science!
Old 13 Sep 2014, 01:37 (Ref:3452762)   #482
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've just read some background info on the nzgp debacle on velocities fb page.....hold your head in shame MSNZ. Why oh why do you continue to quash any possible opportunity to get things moving forward in this country? MSNZ seems to take some sort of perverse pleasure out of c**king things up everytime. No wonder so many categories dont want anything to do with them.
Please note my rant is not aimed at Crunch, I appreciate you being on here. This is aimed right at Brian Budd. Seems that Manfield were quite keen on the shared risk model offered by ST, and ST offered significant contribution to promoting the event and this idea got slammed by Budd who tells us they have appointed another promoter! Is that really the job of the so called governing body.....I think not.
Take your blinkers off Budd and MSNZ....you are the ones killing this aspect of the sport, not the renegade maverick bad boy cant do anything right STs

What I would like to Know, who's this "Mystery Promoter" being kept under wraps. The early Money will have to be on Fine/Cooper and Co
Old 13 Sep 2014, 02:56 (Ref:3452779)   #483
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

really fan?
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:05 (Ref:3452849)   #484
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
really fan?
Yep. Every word.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3452856)   #485
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:

Err ********, v8st signed on petch with his utes and the other utes. they ****ed up no one else.

adding 2 othier classes will draw everything out, now the supercars is moving its round its tba and a season calender hs never been complete
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:37 (Ref:3452863)   #486
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Err ********, v8st signed on petch with his utes and the other utes. they ****ed up no one else.

adding 2 othier classes will draw everything out, now the supercars is moving its round its tba and a season calender hs never been complete
yep!
Old 13 Sep 2014, 10:14 (Ref:3452875)   #487
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
I can't interpret your post blackpearl..
Old 13 Sep 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3452896)   #488
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
What I would like to Know, who's this "Mystery Promoter" being kept under wraps. The early Money will have to be on Fine/Cooper and Co
It is a sports promotion company based in Wellington lead by an ex-All Black.
They have taken on the role that Montego filled until we could find a promoter. So James K, no cost to members. In contrast to what the emotive posts are saying, this IS MSNZ getting out totally of promotion.

They have the rights to promote events and to help minimise the $$ risk from the circuit owners.

So hopefully that clears that up?
Old 13 Sep 2014, 15:56 (Ref:3452933)   #489
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I can't interpret your post blackpearl..
Can probably be summed up by the word 'Trolling'.

Blackpearl, I'm sure you have knowledge, information or opinion that would add to this thread and provide topic for discussion. So it's a shame all you ever do is throw turds from a distance and from under cover of anonymity.

If you have something useful, please share it in a manner that's consistent with the rules of the site to which you agreed when you signed up (if you're struggling, you can find them here. Otherwise, please desist because it's boring and annoying and wastes my time.

Thank you
Old 13 Sep 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3453023)   #490
JamesK
Racer

JamesK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm, not quite

Velocity's post stated:
Motorsport NZ General Manager Brian Budd conceded in emails knowledge of V8 SuperTourers wishing to assist with promotion of the NZGP meeting, but went on to say that Motorsport NZ had secured an "independent promoter" for the event

"MSNZ has engaged an independent promoter to promote the Toyota International Series excluding the NZGP Round which is being promoted by Manfeild Park. Manfeild Park was awarded hosting and promotion rights to the NZGP event through a bid process late last year

As far as MSNZ is aware Manfeild is still committed to hosting and promoting the NZGP event."

So who IS the promotor for Manfield, the above statements appear to contradict each other.
If it is Manfield, whats stopping them have ST assist. I would have thought there be no need to go back to the original bidders as MAnfiled was he winner and still is the promotor, just with assistance.

Last edited by JamesK; 13 Sep 2014 at 22:48. Reason: clarity
Old 13 Sep 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3453036)   #491
MS Fan
Rookie

New Zealand
Wellington
MS Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Hmm, not quite

Velocity's post stated:
Motorsport NZ General Manager Brian Budd conceded in emails knowledge of V8 SuperTourers wishing to assist with promotion of the NZGP meeting, but went on to say that Motorsport NZ had secured an "independent promoter" for the event

"MSNZ has engaged an independent promoter to promote the Toyota International Series excluding the NZGP Round which is being promoted by Manfeild Park. Manfeild Park was awarded hosting and promotion rights to the NZGP event through a bid process late last year

As far as MSNZ is aware Manfeild is still committed to hosting and promoting the NZGP event."

So who IS the promotor for Manfield, the above statements appear to contradict each other.
If it is Manfield, whats stopping them have ST assist. I would have thought there be no need to go back to the original bidders as MAnfiled was he winner and still is the promotor, just with assistance.
Everything I have seen indicates MSNZ is not the promoter of the NZGP meeting, it is Manfeild and while NZST have been invited and want to attend the meeting they have contractual obiligations that mean they want/need 2 other classes to run at meeting, so a situation of their own making for not being able to accept the invitation. So far Manfeild & NZST's have not reached agreement but discussions are on going. So not sure why people think MSNZ are stopping this happening, is there something I have missed ?
Old 14 Sep 2014, 01:11 (Ref:3453058)   #492
JamesK
Racer

JamesK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fan View Post
Everything I have seen indicates MSNZ is not the promoter of the NZGP meeting,... it?
The statement:
"Motorsport NZ General Manager Brian Budd conceded in emails knowledge of V8 SuperTourers wishing to assist with promotion of the NZGP meeting, but went on to say that Motorsport NZ had secured an "independent promoter" for the event

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fan View Post
..So far Manfeild & NZST's have not reached agreement but discussions are on going. So not sure why people think MSNZ are stopping this happening, is there something I have missed ?
Quote:
"[NZST] approached Manfeild with two propositions that would have allowed us to attend the New Zealand Grand Prix (NZGP)"
Proposal 1,
"This shared commercial risk approach was rejected by Manfeild"

The second proposal was rejected by MSNZ.
"Manfeild have informed us that Motorsport NZ had advised that this was not acceptable to them.

Agree with your comments regarding existing contracts.
Only quoting information publically available.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 06:59 (Ref:3453119)   #493
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
It is a sports promotion company based in Wellington lead by an ex-All Black.
They have taken on the role that Montego filled until we could find a promoter. So James K, no cost to members. In contrast to what the emotive posts are saying, this IS MSNZ getting out totally of promotion.

They have the rights to promote events and to help minimise the $$ risk from the circuit owners.

Christian Cullen and his company.
Old 15 Sep 2014, 23:44 (Ref:3453723)   #494
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Until Budd and Harris are gone nobody can move anywhere.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 00:19 (Ref:3453734)   #495
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Until Budd and Harris are gone nobody can move anywhere.
Brian Budd is an employee of the sport whereas Shane Harris is elected to his position, so if you feel that is the answer then either stand against Shane at the AGCM or nominate & get someone else to..... Simple!!
Old 16 Sep 2014, 01:28 (Ref:3453752)   #496
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Brian Budd is an employee of the sport whereas Shane Harris is elected to his position, so if you feel that is the answer then either stand against Shane at the AGCM or nominate & get someone else to..... Simple!!
My understanding is that Shayne Harris is not standing for re-election so in any event there will be a new MSNZ President at the end of his term.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 09:35 (Ref:3453846)   #497
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't seen a list of who's driving with who for the enduro's yet. Here's what I've seen posted so far:
Dom Storey/Dale Wood
Tim Edgell/Steve Owen
Chris Hanley/Daniel Gaunt
Mitch Cunningham/Cam Waters
Simon Evans/SVG
Andre Heimgartner/Paul Morris
Greg Murphy/Jack Perkins
Mark Gibson/John McIntyre
Old 16 Sep 2014, 09:51 (Ref:3453850)   #498
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbutler View Post
Haven't seen a list of who's driving with who for the enduro's yet. Here's what I've seen posted so far:
Dom Storey/Dale Wood
Tim Edgell/Steve Owen
Chris Hanley/Daniel Gaunt
Mitch Cunningham/Cam Waters
Simon Evans/SVG
Andre Heimgartner/Paul Morris
Greg Murphy/Jack Perkins
Mark Gibson/John McIntyre
Paul Manuell/Shae Davies
Richard Moor/Tim Slade
Shaun Varney/?
Andrew Waite/?
Ant Pedersen/C...............
Angus Fogg/ Tony Delberto
Old 16 Sep 2014, 09:56 (Ref:3453851)   #499
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers Mark.
Who's Andrew Waite driving for now that Tasman won't be there? And have you heard anything about the proposed Ken Smith car?
Old 16 Sep 2014, 12:22 (Ref:3453903)   #500
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To avoid even more thread confusion I've moved the NZ rally posts to here