Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 Apr 2006, 22:50 (Ref:1585410)   #20
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Carsten - if it makes you feel any better, I understood exactly what you meant from your first post. And I certainly agree that in the right place at the right time, throwing the rule book out the window and pitting yourself against another driver using instinct and skill and passion alone is the best feeling there is. And I also agree that sort of driving doesn't mean there has to be even the slightest bit of contact.

BUT.... that sort of driving comes with risks. Most of us here are involved in club motorsport and as Al says, we dont have teams to pick up the bill for any damage. That means the close stuff has to be done with a high level of consent and generally between drivers of similar levels of skill. That doesn't seem to happen very often these days. I have found a few folks out there are willing to do "armed combat" and its never resulted in a visit to the CoC. More often it ends in us both jumping out of our cars in the paddock for a hearty handshake with flushed faces and beaming smiles. Sadly that's rare. There seem to be many more drivers for whom "getting to the end without any dents" seems to be their first priority. There are a few who don't want to be overtaken regardless of how slow they are going (you need to outwit those) and some wouldn't know a "racing line" if it bit them (you need to keep well away from those).

So in the end, if there's one thing I have learned, it's that driver etiquette is a two way thing and you shouldn't impose your version on drivers who don't want to play the same game. Doing that will only end in tears... or in front of the CoC. :-)