Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10 Apr 2007, 22:23 (Ref:1888589)   #11
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, time for my turn....

Firstly, I was NOT at Mallory on this day and so my comments are directed at the thread and NOT at any individual.

and so, with both cheeks firmly on either side of the fence, how about we assume the following?

EVERYONE did as they should, in no particular order, (Marshals, Drivers, Rescue, Clerks, Observers and all) which lead to no-one else getting seriously hurt.

BUT!!! I hear you all say, it could have been much worse!! This is very true which I feel is the real reason for this thread, not some free for-all to slag-off other members of our chosen hobby. (not saying that anyone has done so yet, but it seems to be heading that way)

So, can "WE" (all of Motorsport) learn anything from this incident? I (IMHO) think the answer is yes and here are my thoughts;

1) Marshals need to be more aware of Driver's views whilst racing.
This has been covered at many very good training days this year but may need some fine-tuning.

2) Drivers need to be more aware of exactly how a race is conducted.
Just what are the Marshal's instructions and how are flags implimented?

3) Why are Flag posts where they are?
Is it because they are the safest place or are they there for the drivers?

having re-read this thread many times, to try and discover exactly where any driver was at any given time, what strikes me is that maybe the positioning of flag points needs reviewing.

Taking just this one incident for example, with the accepted proviso that every flag was displayed as required, but transfering it to any other road circuit, how about this idea.........?

Every Post has to be on the "other" side of the track from the previous post

Yes, I know lots of posts would need to be relocated, but it would give the drivers a much better chance to see (and less chance to miss) any displayed flags which, less face it, is the only reason we bother to wave our flags.
If the driver's can't see us, then what's the point?

As I stated at the start of this post (for those of you who've forgotten ) I was not at Mallory and am only speaking from what I've read and from 20+ yrs experience of marshalling.