Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31 Dec 2001, 04:28 (Ref:191813)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Todt gives Prost a helping hand

Formula1.com
Todt: I have enormous regard for Prost 30 Dec 2001

Ferrari sporting director Jean Todt has spoken of his admiration for Alain Prost on French programme France-Inter.
The Italian Scuderia provided engines to the French team last season and the partnership was expected to continue into next year, in a deal reputed to be worth $25 million.

However, Prost's team has gone into receivership and financial difficulties have made it doubtful whether they will be able to continue operating next season, let alone whether they will power the cars with expensive Ferrari engines.

Todt spoke of his regard for his fellow countryman, and of their relationship as the team looks to extract itself from financial difficulty.

"Since the beginning of the season we provided engines to Prost," Todt said. "We did everything to help this year, and it is clear that if we can continue to help Alain Prost by selling engines and gear boxes to him we will do so. But above all, it is with him to find the finance.

"I appreciate Alain Prost and I have enormous regard for what he did as a pilot. Four titles and 51 victories, it is extraordinary. He was extremely courageous to take up the most difficult challenge of his career (by becoming a team boss) and I wish him well, but I know that it will be very difficult."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

IF anything, i would look upon this as a nice way Ferrari is helping out Prost. We all know Prost is facing serious financial problems and future uncertainty...both of which works as a cycle, ie with finance probs, you face uncertainty, and sponsors wouldn't come to you, and u end up having more finance probs etc...

And Jean Todt's public commitment of Ferrari's behalf to supply Engines and gearbox to Prost had lend a pillar of stability to the struggling team, as sponsors now know that Prost would have a competitive engine/gearbox package and support from the championship winning team and may thus be convinced that there is still prospect in Prost's team. All the praises on Alain and open support would only help in saving Prost from the brink of doom.

And for that, i'd wish them all the best to WIN and CONQUER next year's championship!

Seriously, speaking of which, i would like to use this opportunity to bring up this suggestion again -- that if the situation arises, top engine manufacturers can be 'forced' to provide engines to a 2nd team by Bernie! We all see Mercedes and BMW having extremely powerful engines and spending millions on their engine program, yet after a year is up, the engine is almost shelved...why not sell the year-olds to lower teams...i'm sure it's still better than the Asiatechs and Harts (where are they anyway?!).