Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3 Apr 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2169053)   #1
VT-R
Rookie

England
Yorkshire, England
VT-R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rear Wing For a Hatchback

I originally bought and read Competition Car Aerodynamics: A Practical Handbook by Simon McBeath with the intention of getting a few pointers on undercar aerodynamics, but I'm now reading it for the third time and I can't help, but think i'd be doing myself a great diservice by not fitting a rear wing.

The main problem I can see is that the regs (see below) state that the wing most not protrude above the roof line of the car, and
it can only be half the vertical height of the original rear window. So I was thinking of something similar to the item pictured below, but I'm unsure how effective it will be mounted so close to the trailing edge of the roof.

Would this be worth the effort, or am I more likely to be laughed out of the paddock with my homebrew aerodynamic efforts?

Cheers

Ed

"Rear spoilers are permitted within the overall plan periphery of the engine cover/luggage compartment lid. ‘A spoiler is a raised surface of opaque material integral with the rear deck with no gaps or openings in the surface, front or rear, and not exceeding in height half the vertical height of the original rear window fitted to the vehicle, measured at the centre of the original window’."

"Rear aerofoils, maximum length 20% of wheelbase. Maximum width must not exceed the width of the car measured across the rear wheel arches. Overhang must not extend beyond the original bodywork by more than 40cm. Height must not exceed the maximum height of the roof. For measurement purposes all measurements relating shall include wing end plates."