Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20 Feb 2009, 13:05 (Ref:2400798)   #11
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
just read this thread
£1 bet the kid never buys a car in the end too much waffling going on
if you have 7000 quid to buy a race car what have u got to spend running it?
got trailer tools tow car mechanic mate helpers?
for 7000 i would look at buying £5-6000 FFord classic seriescar get in it and tets 3 or 4 times till yr on the pace ( mate talk is cheap seen many yappers talk the talk but dont live upto expactations) then if you are in the zone (that to me is top 20 in 30 car grid) drive the fkn thing till your scoring points in the c/ship in year 1 and in year 2 be looking to be on the podiums
Driving a car is 1 thing racing it monthly paying the bills keeping on top of it so its scoring points getting results is another

next choice of car is buy Zetec FFord and do F4 semsec mono races
If this doe snt appeal suggest you go buy TKM kart do 1 fuill season at local tracks if you can be under the 145kg weight limit or if yr heavier do Rotax max for a season and actually do some proper racing and you will spend £2-3k on the kit but Value for money racing with the other 4000quid and race every weekend or fortnight
Karting is the best formula to learn how to prep the kit set it up race craft and the desire to beat the next guy
after i did karting i went slaoon cars FFord and it wa snot till i got my F3 car running 15 yrs later that i found a car that give me the same buzz karting gave me

Ive raced F3 cars off /on last 4 years great cars eat money but i still drove teh kart for fun test days odd race good exercise
and i did the WHT in FFord enjoyed it so i bought a FFord so i could go racing the same way i did in karting with 25 cars around you wheel to wheel and its the driver that has to do the work to get results

Im afraid you have too many ideas/demands not enough experiance and like most folk who start racing cars not enough money
So it is better you cut your cloth to suit & run in the smaller formula for 1 -2 years learn lots then see where you are in 1- 2 season dont try to be the small fish in big pond be medium fish in medium pond and enjoy it there are many years ahead to have the "fancy" race car and i should know I have 10 of them if i sold half of them I could race F1 historics buit i wear my sensible hat and have cars that are more managable to drive maintain load into trailer park in garage and if its shunted affordably repair

For 7o00 quid you can still have alot of fun - I wish i had 7k to spend on a car when i started racing

Final tip
NEVER drive anyones race car that you cannot afford to buy off him after you either shunt it or blow the motor up big time!

Last edited by driftwood; 20 Feb 2009 at 13:09.