Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25 Jun 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2905918)   #1
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Data loggers, what do you use and like?

I have a track day car (Skyline R33 GTS-t and two race cars, a Lola T91-50 F3000 with a Mugen in it, and a Zeus sports prototype. The Skyline gets the most use, just for fun on track days, and runs a Motec M800 ecu. The Lola has an ancient PI dash and elderly PI logger. The Zeus has a Stack dash logger, now very dated, I don't like digital dashboards, much preferring a minimalistic array of analogue dials with an alarm set in the ecu to trigger a warning light if something is amiss. I would therefore ideally like a standalone logger with GPS that can be moved from car to car, each having a loom for it. The Zeus is going to share the M800 from the Skyline, so engine sensors can be logged from the ecu. The Lola has an ancient Zytek ecu, so I would just want to log some minimalistic chassis stuff, GPS track position and ignore the engine, logging wise. I was close to buying a Race Technology DL-2 but then I got the software and had a play with some downloadable demo logs. I don't think I could use this, it seems very hard to sort out and clunky. I decided to download other software packages, and found the GEMS and the Motec data log analysis stuff very good, with the AIM stuff also seemingly user friendly. GEMS seems little used by circuit race folk, and very few places seem to sell or know much about it. Motec, of course, is internationally regarded and supported. It would also tie in nicely with the Skyline M800 ecu. Their standalone logger is VERY pricey though. Not heard back from GEMS re a price for their loggers, which is not very inspiring, and the AIM stuff seems good value, and has what appears to be good support. I want to be able to log the M800 ecu outputs via RS232 or Can, and four wheel speed sensors, lateral and longitudinal G forces, GPS track position and sequential box gear position. I may want to add two brake pressure sensors and steering position later.

What do you use, how have you found the hardware, software and support, and what would you recommend. I have a limited budget, but would spend a fair amount to get something I could use effectively and that doesn't "do my head in", which I suspect the Race Technology stuff would. Thanks. I am particularly interested if anyone runs the GEMS stuff?