Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 Apr 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3060490)   #1
S14
Racer

Ireland
Rocky Mountain Region, United States
S14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting into racing (in the United States)

So, I'm twenty two, living and studying in the United States, and I'm hoping to finally get into racing. So, the inevitable question of "How do I get into racing?" is on my lips. I'm looking at getting a job with some sort of racing team, probably an ALMS GT class team - I have no expectation of driving (unless it's to get parts/tyres/coffee) but I figure getting my foot in the door, being around the cars and racing, and making some money is definitely a better choice than just hoping for a drive to come along. Of course, I'd like to be driving, so I'm looking for advice with regard to what series would be appropriate for a beginner, what sort of costs I should expect, where to go to driving school, and that sort of thing.

I've been looking at Formula Vee as an option, since it looks like it could be a good way to get my feet wet, with a car that I can reasonably do most of the maintenance on, and without having to worry about massive costs (it looks like getting into it would cost between $5000-$15,000). However, I'm concerned that my options may be somewhat limited by my location - I split my time between Colorado and New Mexico, and it doesn't seem like there are many tracks nearby. And I can't seem to find if there's a particularly active Formula Vee scene in my region.

Also, I wear contact lenses. Would I be able to race in them, or would I have to wear spectacles instead? Are prescription helmet lenses available, and if they are, are they allowed by the rules?

Thanks, everyone.