Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11 Mar 2013, 03:27 (Ref:3216869)   #1
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CRC Motorsport - positives & negatives

Thought i'd start a new thread seeing as the other 'raw deal' thread is now really for V8 supercar coverage via sky.

So the idea behind this thread is to vent any positives or negatives about the 'home of motorsport' program. I am sure that Shaun and Nigel still peruse this forum and they may find some of our views about their program useful.

Ironically its main sponsor is CRC, which in managment terms means 'Commend, Reccomend, Commend' so i thought that was a good place to start. My thoughts below are purely for the ST's, you may want to add some thoughts around other classes that interest you e.g. rally. My reason behind this is so that maybe if some of these ideas get taken on board then the potential 'saleability' of the program would increase for the overseas market.

Positives (Commend):
- Overall good coverage of the ST's and other events
- The camera shooting angles etc seem to be getting better
- The in-car footage is the best we have seen
- the linkage of in-car and out-car action seems to be run very well. So when there is an incident there is normally some footage from cameras inside and outside of the car that all seem to link in nicely.
- I like the in-car chat with Boothy, would it be possible to have a few others hooked up for a chat too? i notice that generally you have 5 cars with in-car, maybe those 5 should also be hooked up for audio.

Negatives (Reccomend):
- The driver photos need to be updated. The one of SVG makes him look like a) he is 12, and b) he is still part of stones. IMO all driver photos should be current, and with the drivers wearing their sponsored racesuits
- I believe that the fastest qually lap should be replayed in full from in-car footage. Its clear you have the technology to do this. I personally would love to see the fastest qually lap (like they used to do in F1) from the in-car shots to see where that particular driver is braking, turning etc etc
- More footwell shots would be nice, especially if you could have one set up for left foot brakers (e.g Murph) and those that drive a more traditional heal and toe technique. The reason for this is that it would give the viewer an appreciation of how commited they have to be under brakes and how they feather the throttle
- An on screen graphic to show basic telemetry such as gear, throttle, brake and speed. I imagine the technology for this is already there
- I would like to see a full race lap in car with one driver, without any commentary (or minimal). They do this in Aus and i really like it. It normally follows the 'lets sit back and enjoy a lap with xxxxx' format
- I notice that Mork is no longer in Pit Lane, could Shane Drake fill this spot? its always exciting to hear first hand whats happening in pit lane. I realise that Mork is now spannering with PSR.
- If its possible it would be nice to see (Nascar style) drivers passing on the on screen ribbon that shows driver placings. Even better would be to include the drivers starting spot and whether or not they have maintained that spot, fallen back or got ahead. A simple arrow system could do this easily.
- In my view all of qually should be screened and it would be nice to see sector splits and a light system (red, yellow, green) that shows driver progress compared to previous laps
- I also believe there should be a 'tech station' (without trying to mimic Larko with his whiteboard!) which focuses on a different part of the car each round. For e.g R1 could focus on the brakes and suspension, R2 could focus on the drivetrain, R3 on safety aspects of the cars, R4 on aero and so on.

Final positives (commend):
- the commentators seem to be getting to grips with who's driving what which is good
- Shaun is an excellent host
- Every race weekend you seem to be talking to the usual suspects in pitlane but also talking to others as well, which is good. Maybe focus on a chat with 2 or 3 different drivers each meeting, plus the usual suspects.

Would be very interested to hear other peoples thoughts on the show, and any ways in which you think it could be done better. And no, before you ask, i dont work for TV3, i just like to see a well put together TV package that you can watch over and over again and not get bored.

Cheers