Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29 Mar 2015, 15:48 (Ref:3521494)   #17
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
You got me by a few years but my dad took me down a similar path.
1966 - Peachbowl - my hero was T.C. Hunt
!968-!970 - Lakewood
!972- Road Atl. and seeing my avatar and sportscars
race for the first time.
!976- I could drive myself to Dixie and Road Atl and the
rest is history. Probably got in 5-10 races a year ever since.

The only thing constant is change, and as the song goes,
you gotta roll with the changes. Its a choice.

K&N in Greenville is tempting but I need to save that budget for
IRL weekend at Barber which will also be my first Pirelli race.
I well remember the Peachbowl Saw allot of races there.

Lakewood Speedway, Saw what was then, the Busch Series run there, many years after the (then called) Grand National Division left Lakewood for Atlanta International Raceway. Consider myself extreamly fortunate that I was able to see that last Grand National Division race there, in 1959. I use to like the old AMA flat track motorcycle races there as well, I have a good friend, that raced for the factory Harley-Davidson Team back then. Those races were allot of fun. Those were the days. Glad you were able to see both Peachbowl and Lakewood. A WHOLE LOT of NASCAR history at both tracks!

Road Atlanta, have been to two races there, both back in the early 70s. Saw a CanAm race there, was curious, the track had just opened, I believe the year before. I think it was their 2nd CanAm race. Honestly, was just not impressed with the type of racing. As I remember, there were two identical orange cars that ran off and left the rest of the field like they had anchors tied to them. Just didn't do anything for me. The other race was the NASCAR race for the old Grand American Series, that raced Mustangs, Camaros, etc. The late Tiny Lund won that one. Loved that old series, but just could not get into watching them run on a road-course. It just wasn't/isn't my "cup of tea" I'm an oval track guy/fan. I understand that they ran a couple of Busch Series races there, back in the 80s, but I did not see them, as I was in the Marine Corps at the time and not in or near Georgia. I probably would have gone, just because I liked the Busch Series, but then again, I might not have. I believe I read that Darrell Waltrip won one of those races.

I wish Greenville was a viable option for me, but it is just a little too far to travel and a bit out of budget for a single night of racing. Were it a full weekend, it might make a difference, but just not feasible under the circumstances. That was the really good thing back in the day. NASCAR ran numerous short tracks, along with the big superspeedways. The tickets were inexpensive, as was gasoline and many of the tracks were within reach, both finically and drive distance. It was not uncommon for us to go to 20 or more races a year back then. Try that now and it would rapidly lead to bankruptcy! Attending races has just gotten WAY TOO expensive, ticket prices, as well as everything else, food, lodging, etc.

Barber Motorsports Park. I have been to motorcycle races there and to their museum. Allot of cool bikes in that museum. Haven't been there in probably 5 to 7 years though. Might have to go see the bike races there again, one day. Sorry, can't at all get into irl. WAY TOO MUCH bad blood with fans of that series/form of racing, (dating WAY BACK to the late 50s/early 60s) besides the fact that I have not ever and do not like, at all, that form of racing or that racing series. But that's me and between them and me. Hope that you have a good time and enjoy yourself that weekend.

Yes, my friend, change is the only thing that is constant. Often times change is good, but many times, it is not, but it is constant. Rolling with the change sometime, is far easier said than done. Sometime, trying to roll with the change leads one to rolling into a dead end or a brick wall and for me, I'm afraid that, that is the case, these changes are leading me down a dead end street, directly into a brick wall.