Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24 Jan 2001, 16:55 (Ref:60104)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know about you, but all of these computer racing games leave me a little cold.

Now, what I want is real speed, and genuine handling characteristics, and a real danger of personal injury (if the car flies off the track and bounces off the furniture at a certain angle).

Yes, Slot Car Racing. Whether it's HO-scale, the Aurora AFX, TCR, Matchbox or Tomy size, or perhaps 1/32, the classic Scalextric, Fly and Ninco type, or perhaps you prefer the professional level 1/24 scale big racers. Whichever. Slot cars have been with us for 40 years, and they just keep on going.

Who has kept up racing into adulthood, dismissing all protests from those who think we ought to grow up. And who can I persuade to go into the loft and reach down their old set and have a go?!

What's the best car you ever had? Do you modify your cars for speed and handling? And does anyone out there have any experience with making their own cars from the ranges of replacement bodyshells which are out there?

For me, I'm still trying to find a car that handles as sweetly as the old Scalextric BMW CSL coupe. It's heavy and solid, but it's quick, and it's less fussy than the Porsche 911 and Capri which it always used to be pitted against. I loved my old CSL.

Come on - confess! Who's out there?