Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31 Mar 2004, 13:13 (Ref:925206)   #1
Wheels
Rookie

Australia
NSW South Coast
Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Horsepower

I’m wondering how much more HP we can get out of these engines. I remember years ago someone said that the Sierra’s were getting more than 500 HP. From a 2Lt that’s pretty impressive.
What I’d like to know is about the HP build up from about 1995/6 to the present and what the teams have done to achieve this.
My background is in Gas Turbine Engines, and since I started working on them in 1988, I have seen these behemoths get more power using less fuel every year. I’ve gone from working on forged Ti blades to blades that are grown from crystallised Ti, with honeycomb inserts. The amount of money that is spent on these things is unbelievable. But the money is poured back into making a better, more fuel efficient, GTE.

What I’m trying to get at is, with all the motor racing that goes on in the world, what advances can we see in the short term future IRT the V8’s? Is there anything we should be seeing? Besides ABS and traction control and Russell’s new starting technique, what have our Premier Aussie Touring Car teams (or any category) got up their sleeve?

Are we looking at a HP ceiling of about 650@7500rpm?

Are there any tricks to tuning a 5.0ltr engine that should be known? (For the street).

And where the hell do you get more HP out of these donks when limited to 7500rpm?

Where indeed.