Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 11 Aug 2012, 03:36 (Ref:3118534)   #301
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So when's Montoya going to the ALMS?
Old 11 Aug 2012, 03:40 (Ref:3118536)   #302
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
So when's Montoya going to the ALMS?
A. If Ganassi enters the ALMS
B. If there are ALMS races (not on NASCAR weekends) that don't interrupt his golf games and remote control car racing sessions, and if they serve McDonald's at ALMS tracks I'm sure he'd be up for it.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 03:51 (Ref:3118538)   #303
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does he really race remote control cars? Interesting...
Old 11 Aug 2012, 04:01 (Ref:3118542)   #304
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Does he really race remote control cars? Interesting...
And planes.

Chris
Old 11 Aug 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3118570)   #305
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Perks of having money lets you do those things. Who're any of us to judge what he does? This is getting stupid now, there's no reason to be talking about Montoya in an ALMS thread. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a sportscar though, or even an LMP. I think he'd do well, get him back in his nature of high downforce cars, not oval racing that he hasn't won a race in. He at least has won a race at a road course.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3118623)   #306
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
With the Montoya Mayhem everybody forgot about the incredibly stupid and dangerous move Rojas in the 01 put on the Camaro coming out of the banking, nevermind a drive-through, in many series Rojas would have been black-flagged for that move.
It was a racing incident, and the 01 was pretty well trashed after the wreck and spent a while in the pits, what good would a black flag have done? They were already out of contention.

Quote:
Also, of course there's Conti Challenge where you could probably kill somebody and still not get a penalty.
There's been numerous teams and drivers which have been "parked" by Grand Am in Conti, aka told "don't come back until we tell you to". Ironically enough, Starworks is one of them after the debacle at Barber Motorsports park earlier in the year.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 16:11 (Ref:3118696)   #307
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The GT cars don't have the flexibility in line at that part of the circuit. Rojas was pretty clearly going to the outside, and the fact that the Camaro didn't come to the outside more quickly would lead me to think the driver maybe tried to back off a bit once he knew the #01 was out there. Of course, if you back off too suddenly, the back end can go light, getting you loose, and then you have to chase it to the outside, and straight into the path of the #01, which is already sitting out there.

And no, the #01 wasn't that torn up, as it finished second overall on the lead lap, ahead of two other DPs and 10 GTs that were all also on the lead lap at the finish.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 16:15 (Ref:3118699)   #308
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can we end the USELESS and POINTLESS arguing about a different race series in this thread? I really could NOT care any less about anything that happened in a GA race and shouldn't have to figure out which thread I'm in by going back and checking the top of the page.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3118796)   #309
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Carrying over from the Mid Ohio thread, I think, I had a thought.

As nice as it may be to have Sebring highlights on ABC, at least part of the TV front might be better tackled another way. ABC can do a two-hour block, and maybe we could swing 2 hours, 30 minutes here or there. The street circuit races (Long Beach, Baltimore, perhaps Houston, and maybe Detroit) are two hours long. Have those as the "live" shows on ABC.

The enduros (at least Sebring and Petit) should have stayed on Speed, where they could get very full, and sometimes even flag-to-flag coverage. I suppose you then have the 2-hour, 45-minute races on ESPN2. I haven't quite sorted out what to do with Laguna Seca, Road America, and VIR.

Stream whatever isn't covered live on TV, and archive qualifying and the entire races as they are doing now.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3118814)   #310
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post

As nice as it may be to have Sebring highlights on ABC, at least part of the TV front might be better tackled another way. ABC can do a two-hour block, and maybe we could swing 2 hours, 30 minutes here or there. The street circuit races (Long Beach, Baltimore, perhaps Houston, and maybe Detroit) are two hours long. Have those as the "live" shows on ABC.

The enduros (at least Sebring and Petit) should have stayed on Speed, where they could get very full, and sometimes even flag-to-flag coverage. I suppose you then have the 2-hour, 45-minute races on ESPN2. I haven't quite sorted out what to do with Laguna Seca, Road America, and VIR.

Stream whatever isn't covered live on TV, and archive qualifying and the entire races as they are doing now.
What I'd ~like~ to see given the ABC/ESPN relationship.

All races: Mentioned on the "ABC Motorsports Calendar" on NASCAR, IndyCar and NHRA broadcasts, plus two guaranteed appearances (in each half hour) on Sports Center Monday morning after the race, and one appearance on Sports Center the Friday before a race weekend to promote the broadcast.

Sebring:
-Two hour season preview on ABC Sunday before race week. Highlights from WDWT, and Saturday testing. As many Corvette and Michelin advertisements as Scott Atherton can dream of.
- Qualifying live on ESPN3, the Watch ESPN app and alms.com
- Race live on ESPN3 and the Watch ESPN app.
-10am-noon: ABC
- noon-3pm: ESPN2
- 3pm-6pm: ESPN
- 6pm-8pm: ABC
- 8pm-11pm: ESPN2

Long Beach:
Live on ABC, ESPN3, Watch ESPN app. Qualifying on ESPN3 and alms.com

Laguna Seca:
Live on ESPN3, Watch ESPN app. Qualifying on ESPN3 and alms.com, highlights on ABC.

CoTA:
Live on ESPN3, Watch ESPN app. Qualifying on ESPN3 and alms.com, highlights on ABC.

Lime Rock:
Live on ESPN2, ESPN3, Watch ESPN app. Qualifying on ESPN3 and alms.com,
highlights on ABC.

Mosport:
highlights on ABC.

Mid-Ohio:
highlights on ABC.

Road America:

Baltimore:
Live on ABC, ESPN3, Watch ESPN app. Qualifying on ESPN3 and alms.com.

VIR:

Petit Le Mans:
-10:30am-12:30: ABC
- 12:30-3:30pm: ESPN2
- 3:30pm-6:30pm: ESPN
- 6:30pm-8pm: ESPN2
- 8pm-10:00pm: ABC

Houston & Detroit (if they happen):
Same as LB and Baltimore.

Also, get back on SiriusXM, hand the ESPN3 and alms.com broadcast reigns (and advertising duties) to Radio Show Limited.

Chris
Old 12 Aug 2012, 09:04 (Ref:3118898)   #311
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It shouldn´t be very crazy to have a race on the New Jersey Circuit next year if the New Jersey F1 GP becomes a reality...... On the F1 rules every new track must have an international race before the F1 race.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3119042)   #312
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
What I'd ~like~ to see given the ABC/ESPN relationship.

Petit Le Mans:
-10:30am-12:30: ABC
- 12:30-3:30pm: ESPN2
- 3:30pm-6:30pm: ESPN
- 6:30pm-8pm: ESPN2
- 8pm-10:00pm: ABC
Chris
Sorry Chris, but no way would that ever happen with Petit right in the middle of the U.S. College Football season and with ABC doing primetime top games. A nice wish, but ratings and ad's pay the bills for the games rites Disney/ABC/ESPN pays. And with NBC, CBS Sports Networks and Fox expanding their coverage, that clicking sound you hear is people changing channels.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3119045)   #313
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
that clicking sound you hear is people changing channels.
Not sure if you're saying people are changing channels from ABC/ESPN to watch other sporting events, which is causing ALMS ratings to drop, or there are starting to be more channels offering competitive packages that the ALMS could take advantage of, and people would change channels to watch ALMS.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:59 (Ref:3119048)   #314
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

The ALMS can't have simultaneous relations with both ABC/ESPN and SPEED/FOX.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3119057)   #315
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
The ALMS can't have simultaneous relations with both ABC/ESPN and SPEED/FOX.
They have in the past...
Old 12 Aug 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3119074)   #316
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
And NASCAR does right now, along with that little piece still under NBC on TNT.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 20:40 (Ref:3119083)   #317
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well if we're talking purely about preferences... mine would be something like this

Sebring: Live on SPEED, 120min highlights on FOX
Long Beach: Tape delayed on FOX for Sunday 8PM EST prime time airing
Circuit of the Americas: Live on SPEED, 60min highlights on FOX
Laguna Seca: Live on SPEED, 60min highlights on FOX
(Detroit: Live on ESPN2, 60min highlights on ABC)
Lime Rock: Live on SPEED, 60min highligts on FOX
Mosport: Live on SPEED, 60min highlights on FOX
Mid-Ohio: Live on SPEED, 60min highlights on FOX
Road America: Live on SPEED, 60min highlights on FOX
Baltimore: Live on ESPN2, 60min highlights on ABC
Virginia: Live on SPEED, 60min highlights on FOX
(Houston: Live on ESPN2, 60min highlights on ABC)
Petit Le Mans: Live on SPEED, 120min highlights on FOX

+ Sebring and PLM: 2-hour Thursday Preview on SPEED + Practice and qualifying streamed live on Speed.com

ESPN/ABC would still get some air time with the shorter street courses, and highlights shows on FOX could catch a few average joes
Old 12 Aug 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3119101)   #318
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
They have in the past...
Quote:
And NASCAR does right now, along with that little piece still under NBC on TNT.
Okay, okay, I'm wrong.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3119106)   #319
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Not sure if you're saying people are changing channels from ABC/ESPN to watch other sporting events, which is causing ALMS ratings to drop, or there are starting to be more channels offering competitive packages that the ALMS could take advantage of, and people would change channels to watch ALMS.
No, what I was saying if you had Petit in primetime on Saturday night when college football rules TV ratings on Saturday.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 23:46 (Ref:3119128)   #320
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I had suggested for a number of years that the ALMS should consider changing the race lengths. For a number of races (half?) go to 1:45 or so, allowing them to fit fully live on network television, with a few minutes pre and post race. These would be the street races, and the combined Indy events for the most part.

For this year, I'd go Long Beach, Lime Rock, Mid Ohio and Baltimore as the short races. Ideally you would add two more, such as St. Pete, Detroit.

Then for the balance of the events, you would increase their length doing true enduros. Six - 12 hours.

Not sure where I would put VIR, have to see them race there first.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 01:22 (Ref:3119142)   #321
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Getting off TV for a minute, what if Toyota USA brings over a Toyota LMP1 and re-brands it a Lexus?

Game changer?
Old 13 Aug 2012, 01:57 (Ref:3119148)   #322
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Getting off TV for a minute, what if Toyota USA brings over a Toyota LMP1 and re-brands it a Lexus?

Game changer?
It would be a huge boon for the series. I really would like to see that, Toyota North America apparently want to "race a hybrid in North America" whatever that means, and on top of that a Porsche return seems to have some legs, be it Muscle Milk or Penske.

Chris
Old 13 Aug 2012, 02:11 (Ref:3119150)   #323
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Game changer?
Nevermind re-branding it as a Lexus, if Toyota brought the TS030 to race full time in the series to promote Hybrid Technology in North America then it would be a game changer for the series. Right now I doubt it, they'll probably make a big deal when they race it at Sebring or Austin or wherever the US round will be as a part of their WEC program.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 02:12 (Ref:3119153)   #324
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Which would have a bigger impact though? I'd say Toyota as far as size in N.A. but Porsche brings a more recent experience. It was only a few years back with the Penske team. Branding it a Lexus might gain them more sales and reputation as a 'sporty' brand. Is this hinting at something, or was it just a harmless question!?
Old 13 Aug 2012, 02:24 (Ref:3119156)   #325
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Which would have a bigger impact though? I'd say Toyota as far as size in N.A. but Porsche brings a more recent experience. It was only a few years back with the Penske team. Branding it a Lexus might gain them more sales and reputation as a 'sporty' brand. Is this hinting at something, or was it just a harmless question!?
Well, HJJ is from near Braselton, used the words 'game changer', and from other posts seems to have ties to Panoz, so welcome to Ten Tenths Scott Atherton!