Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 28 May 2001, 09:39 (Ref:97713)   #1
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Serious comments, please!

In a thread about Formula Holden, the oft-repeated cliche about needing to 'see all the circuit' comes up yet again.

Do you really?

This question I put most seriously because I know it's a falsehood. There are all those circuits at which, despite craning your neck, you can't see much at all, but does it spoil your day's racing?

What circuits can you cite which had a bit you couldn't see and recognise how it produced the excitement... that 'who will emerge first' excitement that racing is all about?

Of course, you need to be able to see a significant amount, don't you?

Come on, please give your opinion, and please use circuits you know as examples.
Old 28 May 2001, 11:42 (Ref:97754)   #2
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amaroo Park had to be the best. You could not see all of the track from anywhere on the circiut, but the excited wondering about who would apear first through mazda house after they had dissapeared over bitupave hill always kept everyone wondering.

On the other hand, when the cars dissapear around the back of Eastern Creek, most people get anoyed that they didnt take the hill out so you could get a better view.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 28 May 2001, 12:24 (Ref:97771)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At QR you might be able to see the whole circuit from MOST spectator points, but so what. If the cars look like ants, where's the excitement in that. Bathurst and Lakeside are the two most exciting circuits i've spectated at and I think Ray might have a point, the anticipation may actually add to the excitement.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:35 (Ref:98769)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well even if they removed Corporate Hill, or the hill formerly known as for some reason, you still wouldn't see anything as the track is just that much lower around in that back corner.

I'd say it depends on the track. If there is a section which can be seen that has something happen each race, overtaking for instance, then people don't really mind too much as there is something to watch. The best seats (and I mean seats, not spot) at Eastern Creek is the grandstand and you can see the straight and...um...part of turn 1, but you miss any action really and turn 9 through the trees. So not a lot really.

Amaroo was great because something always happened at stop/go and it helped that no-one could see behind the hill except officials who were around there.

For me, I'm not too bothered either way. As long as there is some good racing and film in my camera I'll survive. The good racing isn't totally necessary either.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 01:23 (Ref:99560)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sitting up in the top of the Oran Park grandstand, the one with the roof, you can see 99.5% of the track....and that is fantastic- you can watch your favourite car circulate, and you always have something to look for.

I also like Morgan Park- any seat is a good seat there.

Lakeside really isn't too bad, there are a fair few places around the track where you can see most of the racing.