Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:37 (Ref:1047483)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 v Moto GP ( value for money )

Having been recently to The F1 British GP at Silverstone ... This weekend i went up to Donnington for the Moto GP .

MOTO GP >>> ....What fantastic value for money it was .......

On the Saturday for example it was £18 for a entrance ticket , the friday was £10

This allowed you :
access to the center of the circuit (you could watch from anywhere you wanted to )
Free Grandstand seating ,
A terrific day of action with on track sessions going until 7.30pm in the evening
Brilliant qualifying sessions from the Moto GP boys of Rossi etc etc as they put it right on the limit
An Event programme cost £5
Merchandise was much more sensible priced that anything i see at the F1 event....

These guys really put on a show for the crowd ...BLOODY BRILLIANT !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now...F1 >>>

Crazy Admission prices ( even with the £90 3 day ticket is was still dearer than on the day prices for MOTO GP )
NO Free grandstands seats
Poor Support race package
F1 teams playing around doing slow laps in pre qualifying
Event Programme was double the price
Merchandise was totally over priced ..
Big gaps in the timetable ....not a lot of on track action ..

Now ...id just like to say that IMO , there is nothing that will ever compare to seeing a F1 car on the limit ( especially going through Maggots and Becketts at Silverstone ) ...and i love F1...

But do you see the point im trying to make...

Does F1 really give a stuff about the fans ...as ive really had my eyes opened even more this weekend watching the Moto GP boys putting on a very good show indeed ....and not just trying to take as much cash out of our pockets for not much in return .

Isnt is about time F1 treated us all lot better than they do now ?

Last edited by Sato san; 26 Jul 2004 at 09:43.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1047510)   #2
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Weekend pass was £48 for Moto GP trackside enclosure...however the paddock was shut as tight as a clam, no compromise external security with zero tolerance approach.."no pass no entry" .. I still got in of course
But, and I know this hasnt got anything to do with the on track action or cost maybe a few lessons need to be learnt from Silverstone with regards to traffic. If you followed the official routes into the race you were up s**t creek by 11pm..queues back onto M1 and people abandoning taxi rides to walk with their luggage to the airport as a result and I heard tales of people being stuck over 6 hours trying to get out which is totally unacceptable.

Thank god for local knowledge of back roads
Old 26 Jul 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1047540)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Re: Formula 1 v Moto GP ( value for money )

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Isnt is about time F1 treated us all lot better than they do now ?
Bit of a loaded question there SS, alot like asking a hungry man if he wants a sandwhich.

The short answer to your question is supply and demand. F1 is bigger than bikes, like it or not. I would also add F1 soaks apart alot more cash that MotoGp.

Things also vary from county to country. In Australia I have attended both, and while F1 is more expensive, it has alot more to offer.

Horses for courses in the end.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 10:35 (Ref:1047545)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 is more geared to television viewers than people at the circuit in any case.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1047591)   #5
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MotoGP seems like a much better bet for spectators, consdiering that it's so much cheaper, mroe exciting and has a bigger variety of races. The machiens themselves look awesome close up. No wonder Donington attendances are 4 times what they were in 2000.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 11:22 (Ref:1047607)   #6
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A huge element of this is what it costs to put the event on and what the event promoter gets in return.

Bernie charges the promoter a very large amount to host an F1 GP, but the promoter only has gate receipts and onsite income to pay for it. The sums are very different (and much lower) for MotoGP.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 12:37 (Ref:1047686)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But doesn't Bernie own Moto GP too?
Old 26 Jul 2004, 12:54 (Ref:1047704)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He doesn't, but I believe they are his "mates"
Old 26 Jul 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1047718)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
But doesn't Bernie own Moto GP too?
Uhn... I hope not !
Old 26 Jul 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1047791)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very clever post, Sato.
Of course F1 costs are os high that someone has to pay; but Moto GP is the sum of the answers f1 is seeking to overcome the current crisis: more spectacle on the track, lower prices, drivers more friendly with spectators.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 14:38 (Ref:1047816)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If costs in F1 were halved across the board, cars/hospitality etc., would anybody actually see any major difference?
Old 26 Jul 2004, 14:46 (Ref:1047824)   #12
shinchley
Rookie

Wales
Attleborough (Norwich), UK
shinchley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
I heard tales of people being stuck over 6 hours trying to get out which is totally unacceptable.

true ! me and my mate took 5 hours to get out !!!!! but you cant let it get to ya ! after siting in the car fo 30 mins , went for a walk on the trark into the paddock down the pit lane and met some of the riders , barros and haydon
Old 26 Jul 2004, 15:30 (Ref:1047862)   #13
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Only one lesson there - if you're going to a big bike meet, go on a big bike!!

There's a maximum amount of traffic the exit roads from a circuit can take before it all grinds to a semi-permanent halt (i.e. more than an acceptable hour or so) - whatever traffic management is in place. At Silverstone, it equates to a crowd of around 100,000. At Donny it's more like 30,000...

Actually, I've never been to a bike meet - what difference does it make when half the traffic's on two wheels?!

Last edited by garcon; 26 Jul 2004 at 15:34.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1047882)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Only one lesson there - if you're going to a big bike meet, go on a big bike!!

Agreed there garcon. I have been to the WSB at Brands 3 times now, twice on a bike - easy to get out, once in a car - nightmare.

Ironically, the time i went up in a car, it took me longer to get out of the car park and home (20 miles) than it ever has getting out of Silverstone and home (120 miles), and that includes the infamous 2000 British GP race where Bernie put the race in April and people were getting stuck in the mud.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 16:11 (Ref:1047902)   #15
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
In fact nowadays I enjoy more FIM GP weekends on TV that F1 weekends on TV, even if F1 is more TV oriented

Many years ago I went to Jerez with a friend and we saw Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Well, there was so much action that by saturday afternoon, we were joking saying "Oh, no, they are coming again!" , lol.

IMO, FIM GPs offers three races where usually at least two of them are great races, and Saturday sessions on TV are nice to watch (although Eurosport is fading its qualifying broadcasting lately).

F1 races are most of times not very exciting to watch, although lately teams perfomances are pretty close (except for MS). Hock was a good race, but sadly this more the exception than the rule. However, qualifying is ever interesting in F1, I like it even in current format.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1048038)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Bernie charges the promoter a very large amount to host an F1 GP, but the promoter only has gate receipts and onsite income to pay for it. The sums are very different (and much lower) for MotoGP.
And that is bascially the point i was making .....Bernie and co are making vast sums of money out of this , and what does the F1 fan get ?

F1 really needs to take its head out of his backside and address the situation .
Old 26 Jul 2004, 18:41 (Ref:1048041)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As much as I adored my trip to Silverstone the other week and desperately miss being trackside, I do think F1 is weak in a few areas. The main one for me was the support package. There wasn't a great deal on really, was there? And I won't count the Maseratis as a support race because they were a circus act.

I paid 200 quid for my ticket so I expected a little more to be honest.

MotoGP works out at under half the price and seems to be more geared toward the trackside audience.

So F1 needs to improve a little in that respect....although, as I say, I was still loving it!
Old 26 Jul 2004, 19:17 (Ref:1048075)   #18
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the neutral, MotoGP is more exciting than F1 and has better racing, simple. I would rather long periods of empty track if I knew I was looking forward to a MotoGP race ( even a 250 ) than have non-stop racing most of the day 'F1- style.'
Old 27 Jul 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1048484)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
From my point of view F1 is the better bet, the bikes may be better value for money but bike racing just doesn't work for me (don't know why, but it just doesn't 'click' in the same way as the 4 wheeled stuff does).
Old 27 Jul 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1049042)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BIKES RULE!!!

Better racing, better value for money, better all-round package.

But I still love F1... well, sort of...
Old 27 Jul 2004, 19:22 (Ref:1049115)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Will you be changing your name to bikemanoz?
Old 27 Jul 2004, 23:50 (Ref:1049338)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
For the neutral, MotoGP is more exciting than F1 and has better racing, simple.
Did you watch the British moto GP at Donnington last weeknd? A very boring race, compare that with the F1 race at Germany.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 07:42 (Ref:1049515)   #23
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
hold up...this thread is about value for money and about how the sport treats its fans ...not about which racing is the better ....

I Love F1 ....blimey , i watch it enough.....but ...Whilst certain people make millions ...it is more or less atthe expense of the racing fans ...who have had it quite clearly shown that F1 doesnt give a damm about the average punter....

For instance....Bernie has slagged silverstone off for a long while ...and one of the points he has made was that the facility s ( for the fans as well as the teams ) are very poor ......If he really gave a damm about the fans ...would he change his pricing of F1 so that Silverstone could afford to run it with out losing 2 milion sterling per year ?....so whilst the fans are paying the earth in prices...silverstone are losing alot of money by holding the event ...and Bernie and company are making millions per week !...

Now compare that to Moto GP......A hell of a lot better priced , loads of on track action ...it seems like they treat there fans like they actually care about them ...
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:14 (Ref:1049577)   #24
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Despite Bernie's persistent comments about Silverstone the on circuit infrastructure (from Pits to loos), presentation and access are all streets ahead of Donington. I know that the riders love the DP circuit but a lot of them have moaned about the facilities (& DP lost DTM and WSB for similar reasons) and as a result I don't think DP will keep the Moto GP for much longer without MASSIVE INVESTMENT (and that probably includes circuit access, too) which is probably not really possible.

Value for money? Well, Moto GP probably wins (particularly because of the support package) but then I'd probably rather spend the same amount of cash on either watching 3 or 4 club meetings or put it towards a race entry fee.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1052622)   #25
Andrew Hornsey
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Andrew Hornsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry its a little off thread.

Do you realy think Donny lost WSB because of the Loos and Paddock. Who owns the rights to WSB? Octagon do. Who owned Brands and Silverstone (The circuit to benefit from Donny losing it)at the time? Octagon - so why was the reason they moved. mmmmm I wonder.

If it was down to the facilities, I am sure that DP would have stumped up the cash - WSB was important to them. As it os, expect to see a much better pit and paddock complex at DP soon.

Last edited by Andrew Hornsey; 31 Jul 2004 at 10:40.