Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jul 2004, 14:45 (Ref:1052016)   #26
SKT
Rookie

SKT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RB is lucky to be in F1. He is certainly not the future of Ferrari and as soon as MS leaves Ferrari, RB will find himself on the short end of the stick with Ferrari.

It was only 'til recently that he's begun to "left foot" brake which MS does all the time - this technique is key to driving F1 cars. If a driver cannot "left foot" brake - just forget about it.

When RB races in Silverstone he is unbelievable, why? Because the track suits his driving style to perfection. Lots of high speed relatively long straights, very little "in between" like corners where left foot braking takes advantage over righ foot braking.

I think he still has to deal with too much baggage upstairs, he's certainly not a drivers driver - when a race is over his car is virtually pristine. He loves to save everything - gearbox, tires, fuel, even the paintjob - I don't believe this is driving - this is coasting - of which he is very good.

Ferrari keeps him because MS wants him to be his #2. MS controls him to his infinite desire - he poses not threat, is agreeable, and can dispose of him on the track virtually at will.

RB driving for Ferrari has completely exposed him as an also ran - nothing special but a points collector, which is not a bad thing. It pays the bills, it affords him and his family an unbelievable lifestyle, he lives and breathes Ferrari - he's got it made. He'll never win a WDC but, he's got a fabulous life without needing to be one. If he's smart he'll keep up the rouse as long as possible.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1052084)   #27
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The trouble for Rubens is that Ferrari have reverted back to the same wheel base as the 2002 car (can't remember if it's a longer or shorter wheel base ). In 2003 the car suited Rubens because the wheel base suited him, this year it doesn't.

A little while ago, our esteemed mod Wrex asked me who would come second in the drivers championship, i of course, said Rubens, he was not so sure. Whilst i still think Rubens should get second, he only needs a few more races like Germany and Jenson could overhaul him, though i think that is proberbly unlikely.

Last edited by Mr V; 30 Jul 2004 at 15:38.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1052116)   #28
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all hinges on the tyre war - it'll be a big deal for Rubens, though. 2nd is the best he can manage and that's what he'll want to aim for.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1052191)   #29
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gfm
GP Racer - And Ferrari can just concetrate on winning because of it...
Make that 'and Schumacher can just concentrate on winning because of it ...'
Yes, I agree he's a great team player, a great no 2, etc. But no more a star. Imagine what Button or Davidson would do there.
Rubens is a key player in Ferrari's run for the constructor title. Winning isn't just the WDC.

Before this season, nobody would have picked Button over Rubens.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 19:55 (Ref:1052208)   #30
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rubins has had some good runs this year, but he's also had some bad ones. He's qualified poorly in almost every race. I don't really understand him this year.

When Rubins is at his best he can keep fairly close to MS over a race distance. (although we won't see that anymore because MS doesn't push over a race distance anymore)

I see MS leaving before Rubins. Last year we saw that he didn't like it when he wasn't winning and this year we see that he's getting bored with winning constantly. I don't know if that'll be an oportunity for Rubins or it will mean the end for him because Ferrari won't need someone who's always #2.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 19:58 (Ref:1052209)   #31
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like Rubens, I think he is actually one of tyhe best drivers out there, he can overtake agressively too which is always nice to see. I dont think anyone could live with Michael this year which is why he has won all but one race.

Rubens has still managed to bring the car home in every race and apart from germany has scored in all of them. And he's got plenty of podiums along the way.

I remember Rubens in a Stewart a few years ago. I'm convinced he's one of the best out there. Its just that Michael is way ahead of everyone else at the moment.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1052224)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
...this year we see that he's getting bored with winning constantly.

???
Old 30 Jul 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1052231)   #33
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's talking about Schumi in that sentence, knowles...
Old 30 Jul 2004, 20:24 (Ref:1052237)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 20:26 (Ref:1052241)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Schumacher doesn't look bored to me.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 20:28 (Ref:1052245)   #36
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
I know.
Sure, now you do.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 23:00 (Ref:1052389)   #37
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Of what? Being a highly paid talented... It wasn't too long ago that he made a big fuss about TS making an overly ambitious move on him and just last week what did he do? Big Red could've clinched, but noooo.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 01:33 (Ref:1052450)   #38
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
I like Rubens, I think he is actually one of tyhe best drivers out there, he can overtake agressively too which is always nice to see. I dont think anyone could live with Michael this year which is why he has won all but one race.

Rubens has still managed to bring the car home in every race and apart from germany has scored in all of them. And he's got plenty of podiums along the way.

I remember Rubens in a Stewart a few years ago. I'm convinced he's one of the best out there. Its just that Michael is way ahead of everyone else at the moment.
I agree with this ... lots of people just don't want to face up to the fact the Schumacher is unfortunately a class above them all and would probably do the same to the other drivers.

Last time I looked, Rubens was 2ND in the WDC ...
Old 31 Jul 2004, 01:52 (Ref:1052463)   #39
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
but he's also had some bad ones. He's qualified poorly in almost every race. I don't really understand him this year.

I'm sure the different stratergies from Michael haven't been Rubens decision alone and to be perfectly honest, don't know why they do it. :confused:
Old 31 Jul 2004, 02:00 (Ref:1052470)   #40
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
I think - and call me cynical - that Ferrari have maybe persuaded Rubens to take more risks with his strategies than should normally be the case.

We've seen a lot this season that he has been harmed by running on the wrong strategy - maybe Michael does have an ability to make any strategy to work, but it's strange it seems to gel together nicely for him all the time.

Just a thought, I'm not blaming aliens or guessing foul play.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 02:03 (Ref:1052472)   #41
deeks6
Veteran

I think Rubens has decided to do this off his own bat...he know he can't beat MS with the same strategy so why not try something different...nothing to lose!
Old 31 Jul 2004, 02:06 (Ref:1052474)   #42
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
You've got everything to lose when you're up against Michael Schumacher!
Old 31 Jul 2004, 02:51 (Ref:1052488)   #43
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like I'm the only one who's watched MS race this year. Have you noticed how MS doesn't push through the vast majority of time in a race? If you disagree, why does he not gain ground on those in slower cars until those few hot laps before the pit stop? Take Canada when JPM was harassing MS before his stop in a much slower Williams. Being conservative is one thing, but he relies on his team and car to gain just enough time to come out ahead on the pitstop. He risks victory by being complacent and doing the bare minimum.

I'll give you an example of why this is a problem: Last CART race in Vancouver Tracy was in the lead. He made what should have been his last stop, but his team didn't put enough fuel in. He had built a big margin, but had to double it to win. If it was MS and he was only 2 secs ahead because he "didn't need to push" he'd lose the race. In racing anything can happen, mechanical, team, driver error. Bottom line: In 2004 MS can't be bothered to solidify his victories by pulling out a safe margin before he drives slow. In fact he'll drive slow before a victory is even in the bag!
Old 31 Jul 2004, 03:53 (Ref:1052502)   #44
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Looks like I'm the only one who's watched MS race this year. Have you noticed how MS doesn't push through the vast majority of time in a race? If you disagree, why does he not gain ground on those in slower cars until those few hot laps before the pit stop? Take Canada when JPM was harassing MS before his stop in a much slower Williams. Being conservative is one thing, but he relies on his team and car to gain just enough time to come out ahead on the pitstop. He risks victory by being complacent and doing the bare minimum.

I'll give you an example of why this is a problem: Last CART race in Vancouver Tracy was in the lead. He made what should have been his last stop, but his team didn't put enough fuel in. He had built a big margin, but had to double it to win. If it was MS and he was only 2 secs ahead because he "didn't need to push" he'd lose the race. In racing anything can happen, mechanical, team, driver error. Bottom line: In 2004 MS can't be bothered to solidify his victories by pulling out a safe margin before he drives slow. In fact he'll drive slow before a victory is even in the bag!
???

Is this for real? We're on earth, you know - not a parallel universe.

If MS is being "conservative", what are the others being - unconscious?
Old 31 Jul 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1052565)   #45
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Snub, all due respect but it would appear you dont have a great understanding of modern F1 racing.

Passing is pretty tricky these days, and nobody (especially the championship leader) wants to try a move that has everything to loose and little to gain.

When Michael is following someone, the team has pretty much worked out what strategy they are on. Michael probably also knows that he can make up the position during the pitstops. When you have that confidence in the car and your team, why go for a balls and all move on someone that values (and needs) that position even more than you do?

11 wins from 11 finishes. You better hope he is trying :P
Old 31 Jul 2004, 11:25 (Ref:1052634)   #46
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snrub

[/QUOTE}

huh?........what?.......what in the world?....are we talking ms as in michael schumacher or ms as in another racing format?....maybe you ARE the only one who watched ms race this year, but in which series? ...
Old 31 Jul 2004, 12:47 (Ref:1052654)   #47
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
haha..what a post there about MS not trying and being complacent.

On this topic regarding Rubens, i must defend RB on the grounds that the performance and effort he had put in is not less than his peers and immediate rivals such as Kimi/Coulthard/JPM/Alonso.

Although the statistics suggest otherwise, i don't really believe that this year's Ferrari is that much ahead of the rest in outright performance term as compared to 2002. More often than not,especially in recent races, they have to use strategy mixed with good driving to overcome their rivals, and quite a few times, it's the rivals dropping the ball that made Ferrari's victories look so much easier.

In such an environment, Ruben's performance may not be shining as bright as Michael's...but few drivers are doing better than Rubens. So i don't see why Ferrari would kick him out.

It's not an issue of obedience and team orders. Rather, it's Ruben's character that complements the harmony of the team and his stable approach to racing that makes him an interesting choice. People may not realise it, but some drivers don't exactly help the team with their big ego and temper. This Rubens i believe is far better than the Rubens we saw in Stewart in '99.

For people to slag him..his inconsistency and poor performance is more the result of direct comparison with MS..it's so much more exposed. Other drivers have the excuse of the car or tyres or package to hide their mistakes and inconsistency, a luxury RB doesn't have.