Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2004, 06:53 (Ref:1037838)   #26
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome on board, DKGBH, I'm sure your post will horrify some purists round here
It is actually impossible to read in drivers' minds thus we'll never know.
Theoretically, as they're generously paid to do their best, and, what is more, ev'ry driver has a huge ego to fulfill, things like that shouldn't happen, but, you know, none of them (apart from ralf's current health problems) has to get a contract, cos they've already secured a seat for next years, so....
Old 16 Jul 2004, 09:03 (Ref:1037927)   #27
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see no evidence the drivers aren't giving 100%.

This type of debate happened a couple of months back with Mark Webber.

The conclusion is even though a driver is moving, he still wants to do the best he can now.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1038040)   #28
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So you think the last couple of races where The Williams cars have been lower than the rest of the season is purely coincidental.../

David...
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:39 (Ref:1038044)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome

I don't beleive that they would purposely not try as hard. They are racing drivers!

Also your reasoning about taking money away from the team they drive for next year is a nice consiracy, however they probably get some bonuses for the points they score themselves. In which case they'll be taking money away from themselves!

Not that long ago drivers used to change around more and this situation was more common. However I don't remember them backing off. For a real racing driver they want to race the race they are in. Senna didn't let Prost win the last couple of races in '93 because he was goign to Williams (although the championship had been long settled).

As mentioned we just don't know what a driver is thinking, but I think the simplest and most likely thing is that they are just getting on with trying finish as high up as possible in the race.

Last edited by Adam43; 16 Jul 2004 at 11:40.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:46 (Ref:1038051)   #30
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just my opinion.

If there is a McLaren in front of a JPM, I doubt that he will try as hard as "normal" to pass.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 11:56 (Ref:1038061)   #31
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by DKGandBH
Just my opinion.

If there is a McLaren in front of a JPM, I doubt that he will try as hard as "normal" to pass.
Possible, but most of the time that hasn't been a problem.

Most of the time there was no McLaren in fornt, and when it was, it was too far ahead to even think about passing it.. (Raikkonen @Silverstone)
Old 16 Jul 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1038082)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I bet he would, especially if it was Kimi!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 15:26 (Ref:1038259)   #33
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"The question is: How does Williams recover as they are in jeopardy of being 5th or 6th if the trend continues. A nightmare that PH and FW do not want to live."

There's really little they could do at this moment other than to work flat out on the car and test test test it to make it work. And as JPM/Ralf for various reasons have their testing roles reduced, there is little choice but put the increased workload onto the test drivers..

But there's a feeling that given the "quality" of the two test drivers, one can feel that Williams could have got better feedbacks from a driver of perhaps Ralf/ Nick/ Webber calibre.

Sam Michael is now on a very steep learning curve, and honestly, he and his 2 drivers (JPM and whoever's the chosen replacement) CANNOT afford to throw away points as other teams would be right there to snap it up. People can come up with hundreds of excuses for Williams, but F1 takes none of it, a mistake is a mistake, an error is an error.

They've thown away 3 good point-finishes in Indy/Canada..Gene has dropped points by his average performance..and we'd have expected JPM to really lead the charge forward and secure more points than he already had. Williams pay not be very good at this time, but the points they've got could and should have been more than what they had got so far.

More importantly, Head and his team of engineers/designers have to dictate a path which next season's car is to take and work hard to optimise it..no more "trial and error" like the past 2 attempts.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 15:37 (Ref:1038271)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams did, of course, finish 5th in 1999.

McLaren haven't been out of the top 4 since 1983.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1038279)   #35
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an aside.

Look at ferrari - they where nowhere for 27 years, then they got a group of good people together....and made them a team. Ferrai didn't become good overnight, loook at 96 - the car was a dog, but each year they grew to be the unstopable force they are now. Getting the latest "top designer" in each year the team needs to work as a team for a sustained period of time to understand how each other works, and have a stable pair of drivers to base the car around their driving styles.

This was one of my main critisisms of Jordan and BAR, BAR stopped this trend and appear on the way up, Jordan have not stopped this trend and are going nowhere. Look at the 2000 - 2001 Benetton/Renault it was a pig, yet give the team time to gell, and they are coming up. Loose gasgoin and it slips, not because its gasgoin but because the team looses a key player.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 23:53 (Ref:1040882)   #36
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think DKG has a point about the motivation factor of RS/JPM when they are both signed elsewhere for 2005. It is only human nature "to survive" and therefore they'd be inclined to take less chances, play it safe and try and stay healthy for next year. I think we forget too easily that these guys are literally putting their lives on the line each and every lap. Auto racing cannot be compared to any other pro sport because of that very factor.
As cold as it sounds, the think tank at Williams should take advantage of Ralf's injury and if at all possible bring in his replacement asap. It would pay dividends for next year.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 07:57 (Ref:1041910)   #37
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1Total's Von Hust/Nimmervoll write that the "Hammerhead" is soon become history.

http://www.f1total.com/news/04072012.shtml

According to the article, the "hammerhead" nose will maybe be gone already at Hungary (eventhough I think it sounds unlikely). Next year it will definitely be gone, since new regulations will lessen the advantage of this construction.

The article says that the problem with the hammerhead is that it makes the chassis very sensitive to side wind and also it creates problems to use ballast in an efficient way.

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 21 Jul 2004 at 07:59.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 09:14 (Ref:1041945)   #38
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
GP2003's "Our spies at Silverstone report" also write that Williams is considering changing back to a conventional nose sometime this season.

But they have to stick with the twin-keel concept, because otherwise they need a complete new monocoque. The FW27 for 2005 will however, definitely run with a normal nose and a single-keel front suspension.

http://www.gp2003.com/index.php?lang=uk&lastpoll=89

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 21 Jul 2004 at 09:15.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 09:47 (Ref:1041965)   #39
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This years lame BMW is a big factor in williams performance this year.Even the team said they needed more power!
Old 21 Jul 2004, 09:49 (Ref:1041968)   #40
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quite possible, RWC. People often say the BMW is one of the best engines - but I wonder if that's still the case.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1042140)   #41
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think it is anymore.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 14:28 (Ref:1042213)   #42
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a bit strong to be blaming BMW - they might not be giving Williams the clear advantage that they have before, but it is still a very competitive engine and not loads worse than the opposition.

The drivers are saying that the Williams just doesn't have enough downforce and corner speed. Also that the chassis lacks traction - if they had more power they would still lack traction.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1042336)   #43
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think BMW is still one of the strengths remaining from an otherwise lacking Williams package.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 13:49 (Ref:1043424)   #44
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
I think BMW is still one of the strengths remaining from an otherwise lacking Williams package.
I agree completely.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1043470)   #45
Kicking-back
Veteran

Impossible to tell, really.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 14:29 (Ref:1043472)   #46
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KB, just PM'd you fella
Old 22 Jul 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1043477)   #47
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is impossible to tell, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari, Honda and Toyota are pumping out more power now.

It's not just about power though, it's about the total package - weight, how compact it is, Centre of Gravity, vibration levels, torque etc...
Old 22 Jul 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1043479)   #48
Gt_R
Veteran

BMW still manage to push out a decent amount of power to give Williams some of the best top speed we see this year. And reliability wise, we don't see a BMW blow as much as Cosworths/Mercedes/Hondas.

On the otherhand, the main complains this year regarding Williams is how tricky and nervous the handling, how poor the car is reacting to set ups, how it struggles for traction...
Old 30 Jul 2004, 03:57 (Ref:1051570)   #49
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Frank Williams had underline the team's problems are not the fault of its drivers.

Sir Frank said he did not hold the drivers responsible. “It’s very simple: in order to win you need a car in which you can win in. Our goal has to be to supply a car that is in a position to do so."

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=30803

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 30 Jul 2004 at 03:59.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 09:45 (Ref:1054851)   #50
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
And, Mario Theissen has admitted that Williams gambles was failed.

"If you do everything like the top guys, you can only close in but not pass. So that was a clear decision supporter by us to take the risk. Unfortunately, it didn't pay off," he said.

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/...to620738.shtml

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 3 Aug 2004 at 09:46.