Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 2 Aug 2004, 14:08 (Ref:1054128)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
News From Patrick & Driver Tests

Today's Indy Star reports that Patrick Racing will be at Chicagoland today to give two drivers their IRL "Rookie Tests," and the two drivers will go through formal testing on Tuesday...

The Drivers:

Tomas Enge and Thiago Medeiros....

Looks like Jacques will be on the sidelines starting with Kentucky...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Aug 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1054151)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tomas has said he'll complete the F3000 season - this test for him is just exploting options for next year.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 14:53 (Ref:1054177)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It could be the same for Medeiros, who has a defiante shot at the MIPS title, or maybe Patrick is considering adding a second car (which seems unlikely given his age and the nature of his entry, but would be great news for the series).

Also, surely if Lazier (who came in mainly so as to help them setup the car and get on the pace) were to leave, Jeff Simmons would be first in line? He did nothing wrong for them before.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 22:22 (Ref:1054473)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, Boots, I cannot figure out whats going on with Simmons. He really seems to deserve that seat.

And why Enge? How does he get a shot? At least Medieros is an IPS driver, so I can see his shot.

Maybe it will be a 2 car team. Pat may see that it's the only way to succeed in this series. None of the single car teams are competitive, except Super Aguri.

Danica Patrick
Old 2 Aug 2004, 22:26 (Ref:1054474)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two Notes:

1. Super Aguri at least has some ties to Fernandez, so they are a pseudo one-car team...and

2. Tomas Enge is not only a good driver, but he probably brings $$$ to the table....I think he is testing the waters in open-wheeled cars to see if there is an option for him here....

After all, breaking through the ceiling from F3000 to F-1 is no easy task....thus if you want to move up in the open wheel ranks, North America (with the IRL and OWRS) would be the place to do it...

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 2 Aug 2004 at 22:26.

Old 3 Aug 2004, 03:03 (Ref:1054610)   #6
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Patrick car is junk put together by Derrick Walkers inept crew and they are getting the worst of the Chevy engines so naturally Lazier will be replaced. Enge actually tested in a PDM car last year and was mortified at running over 200 mph on a race track that had concrete walls. Medieros likes the car set up so loose that he will crash quite a bit in ICS as those cars are a lot less forgiving than IPS cars.

Patricks race team is his name only.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 06:05 (Ref:1054681)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
seems an awfull waste of money then.

maybe they should try and get the thing humming along nicely with a very good and experienced driver such as they have been doing with Jaques or even his brother Buddy for that matter.

oh well good luck to medieros and Enge , but I'd much rather see jaques stay in the car for this year at least.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 11:19 (Ref:1054930)   #8
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Team Owner
The Patrick car is junk put together by Derrick Walkers inept crew and they are getting the worst of the Chevy engines
Sad to see a great man getting conned like this. Walker would've ran the car in the IRL if he hadn't been bribed into staying in CART, which is amazing considering his past involvement in Reynard.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1055095)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Two Notes:

Isn't Walker the guy who handles the "upgrade" kits for the Reynards??? Thus his involvement with OWRS might give him at least a little bit of financial return (but not much) by running them and developing the upgrade pacakge further...

I agree that Patrick has been conned...it is a real shame, too....

Old 3 Aug 2004, 17:01 (Ref:1055326)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Al's been conned even more, destroying his career. Jeff and Jacques' reputations might've been affected by it too. All great US talents....
Old 3 Aug 2004, 17:08 (Ref:1055334)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Pat Patrick logged on ten-tenths, he'd read this - so I can't see that he's being conned.

He clearly knows the facts too!
Old 3 Aug 2004, 20:01 (Ref:1055492)   #12
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
If Pat Patrick logged on ten-tenths, he'd read this - so I can't see that he's being conned.

He clearly knows the facts too!

Actually he and his wife have been conned by Walker as we heard her say in the paddock at Michigan " I wish we could get a good driver as the ones we have had aren't capable of taking the car to the front"
I have known Pat for many years and unfortunatly he is getting a bit senile and maybe has a touch of Altheimers and it pains me to say that as I consider him a very very good friend.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1055504)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Team Owner
The Patrick car is junk put together by Derrick Walkers inept crew and they are getting the worst of the Chevy engines so naturally Lazier will be replaced. Enge actually tested in a PDM car last year and was mortified at running over 200 mph on a race track that had concrete walls. Medieros likes the car set up so loose that he will crash quite a bit in ICS as those cars are a lot less forgiving than IPS cars.

Patricks race team is his name only.
Taking your last post with the comments from his wife wondering why "the drivers they have had can't take the car to the front" and tying it in with your first post above on the equipment and personnel, I would say that this would qualify as being conned....

That's sad....

Old 5 Aug 2004, 21:21 (Ref:1057477)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Question:

Has anybody read any word on how the session went, or if we are to expect a new driver in the seat for Kentucky???

Chicagoland would be a decent place to take the test drive if you wanted to make a driver switch for Kentucky...those tracks are somewhat similar....

Old 5 Aug 2004, 22:08 (Ref:1057595)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Jaques Lazier will continue as far as I know.

Enge was really just checking out an IndyCar rather than that team.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1057649)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe thats true KB. I found this article, from Aug.2 out of The Citizen Patriot. I'll give you the short story.

"Driver Jaques Lazier and owner Pat Patrick were smiling Sunday, hoping that better days are just around the corner for Patrick Racing".

"At least we're going in the right direction, Patrick said. Keep in mind, we're a year behind these guys. The kid drove a good race".

"Lazier, who is on a race to race contract with Patrick, said that he's looking forward to the next IRL race Aug.15th at Kentucky".

"We're still learning said Lazier. I think in the last race(Milwaukee)we made a huge jump in our qualifying on a short oval".

It is a race to race basis, so you never know what could happen, but I think Patrick is happy with Lazier, at least for the moment...

Danica Patrick