Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 5 Aug 2004, 17:23 (Ref:1057237)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are the brits the best batch of IRL drivers

Are the Brits the best batch of indycar drivers
Old 5 Aug 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1057262)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do we need these pointless threads?

You've started four or five of them in both the Indycar and ChampCar forums, without adding anything to the discussion.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 17:54 (Ref:1057266)   #3
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you trying to start a war between the US, Brits and Brazilians?

Driving ability aside, (and I think they are good drivers) I really like the personality of Darren Manning and Dan Wheldon. They give great interviews and come off as humble, nice guys. You can't say Taylor is one of the best drivers however. And Dario is Scottish, so...
Old 5 Aug 2004, 18:01 (Ref:1057275)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rush1 your rite its just I got carried a way with the new thing thanks for repling but I admit threr are a lot of other good drivers esperly the americans and the brazilians and more
Old 5 Aug 2004, 18:41 (Ref:1057314)   #5
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Do we need these pointless threads?

You've started four or five of them in both the Indycar and ChampCar forums, without adding anything to the discussion.
For heavens sakes, he's just starting a discussion!
COnsidering Weldon is doing very well and Manning is in the IRL (not doing quite as well, though), maybe he's proud to see some compatriots there. I forgot about Dario winning recently, too!
Lord, everybody has been new here at one time or another...I think a "welcome" and a little latitide would be appropriate.
Now, if he keeps doing "pointless threads" after a while, THEN tell him to knock it off...IMO.

Welcome, luke...SOME of us are looking forward to your contributions. I happen to lean towards Brazilians (and I like Schekter) but it is nice to see Dan do well. Plus, he seems to be very happy racing here.

Last edited by MLM; 5 Aug 2004 at 18:44.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1057318)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scotland is part of Britain, rush.

As a whole I think America ought to have more great drivers to offer, it's just that most of the best get drawn into NASCAR, and a lot of teams are forced to take pay-drivers ahead of those who are keen to get into the series (Jeff Gordon and Casey Mears, both of whom could've been great additions)
Old 5 Aug 2004, 19:00 (Ref:1057334)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well....

I would think that when you look at Hornish, Rice, and Townsend Bell... as well as drivers like Kanaan, Castroneves, and Meira, I would have to wonder if the Brits are the best of the IRL bunch...

But I don't want to dump a load of tea in Boston Harbor over this...

But I would say that if you look at those groups above vs the brits thus far in the season for speed, consistency and overall finishes, I would take the non-brits...

But that's just me...

and that is not a slap at Wheldon, Dario, Manning, or Taylor....

That's just an objective look at overall finishes, performances and talent...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Aug 2004, 19:11 (Ref:1057344)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I think if you look at the Americans then in my personal view then they have done the best.
With Sam Hornish jr.(my favourite driver!),Buddy Rice and Towsend Bell they have done very good,
But Brazil, Tony Kanaan is leading the standings and Vitor Meira and Helio Castroneves are also great drivers its a close call. But any way there isn't a best crop.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1057350)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, it's tough to pit one group against the other's out there, but here goes.

I thought early on that the British invasion was going to be a real juggernaut, but the invasion has seemed to stall abit.

Dan Wheldon IMO, is the best of the bunch, and started out like a house on fire. He has since cooled abit, but I think he will be top 3 by the end of the season.

Dario has been abit inconsistent, but he is always a threat to win.

Manning is beginning to look alot like Scheckter, just to reckless, but damn if he isn't trying!

Taylor has had an awful year at Panther, but now with Access, he may relax and drive better.

So all-in-all, I don't think they are better than any other group out there. But I will say that there driving abilities and personalities bring alot to the series, and I'm glad there here. Brings me back to the days when I served alongside the Brits. We had some 'bloody' good times with those blokes!

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Aug 2004, 19:36 (Ref:1057367)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I rate Dario, Dan and Darren, but not Mark.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1057373)   #11
MLM
Veteran

Well, this didn't turn out to be a "pointless thread" after all!
(actually, I think you can make a discussion out of almost anything...if you're willing to give it a shot!)

I don't judge drivers by his/her nationality (GPRacer can attest to that ). I look at a variety of issues...driving style/ability, personality, the desire to race/win, the desire to be here, etc...
It's nice to see some fresh faces and new blood in OW racing...especially if they have the talent and the desire to race here.

I tend to lean towards the Brazilians because I see a lot of those traits. Most of them, IMO, a very fine racers.
But, I see drivers of all nationalites who impress me.
(well, not too many Japanese, unfortunately. It would nice if THAT would change.)

Last edited by MLM; 5 Aug 2004 at 19:45.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1057410)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Matsurra's impressive, surely?
Old 5 Aug 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1057415)   #13
MLM
Veteran

Hmmmmmm, you may have a point there, K-b.
Maybe the talent pool is improving in Japan...look at Sato in F1. Not the greatest of race results but he does well in quals.

I'll admit, I do have a bit of a prejudice against Japanese drivers. Look at "'King Hiro" or Takagi, etc...they haven't done much to impress me. To me, they are the "ultimate ride buyers"...thrust upon teams by Toyota or Honda yen.

Last edited by MLM; 5 Aug 2004 at 20:15.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1057546)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
just wait till we get an Aussie in there

actually I couldnt care less where a driver comes from as long as he can drive and puts on a good show , then i say yep he's an Indycar driver
Old 5 Aug 2004, 21:56 (Ref:1057561)   #15
MLM
Veteran

Yup, marcus!
Wouldn't it be nice if Mark Webber came here to race
(yeah, I know, pipe-dream, hehe I'm speaking from a totally, superficial, female point of view, too OK, the man CAN drive, also! )

Last edited by MLM; 5 Aug 2004 at 21:57.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 16:19 (Ref:1058452)   #16
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't give nationality a second thought really. That's never been a primary motivation for my like, or dislike of a driver. But for the sake of discussion, I think the boys from down south have been very strong as a group. Can't go to wrong with these guys: TK, Helio, Vitor Meira, Giafonne, and De Feran.