Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Dec 2004, 03:08 (Ref:1174938)   #76
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll take a stab at the last question. I think that MW has a ton of potential. I just think that somewhere along the way he did indeed become the "apple polisher" that jungle boy said and hopefully Frank is exactly the kind of person to cut through the ca-ca and make him (back) into a racer first and a self-promoter second.
Never doubted that Frank can recognize talent.

Mike
Old 9 Dec 2004, 04:14 (Ref:1174970)   #77
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So is treating the guys that look after you and your car really that bad? Why shouldn't a driver treat the rest of his teammates, especially the backroom guys that normally do not great the credit, in a manner that he himself would want to be treated.

If AP really did complain that MW was apple polishing, and that because of this he was getting better treatment, then why did he not think to do the same, and maybe earn some respect from the team for himself.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 04:31 (Ref:1174972)   #78
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmonaro
Where have been the comments that Pizzaboy should have kept his mouth shut and worked towards getting a race drive and proving he's a better driver.
I think there were quite a few of thoes right here

Quote:
How long is he going to keep bringing this up?
Hmm, did Pizzonia bring it up more than once? I only remember this, and I didn't think that was so offending but I haven't read the new comments?
Old 9 Dec 2004, 06:31 (Ref:1175003)   #79
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry but what does the term 'Apple Polisher' mean in this context. (Sorry for the stupid question) I think this is a bit like What happen with Mick Doohan and Max Biaggi a few years ago. When Mick was winning his titles all Max would do was whinge and say that Mick had the best bike and if he was on that bike he would win the world title. Mick put up with it for years, then finally blew up after one of the races and gave Max an absolute slagging. Turns out that Mick was right becase Max has done SFA on a multitude of good bikes.

I think this is quite similar Webber just got sick of being slagged by Pizzonia and has bitten back. Good on him I say.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 07:22 (Ref:1175018)   #80
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With all these sportsmen having egos and self-belief greater than an iceberg, there are sensitive to anybody challenging their worth/ability. Any poor performance are often blamed on the machinery or team or circumstances or that the rival has a better luck...it is not about their lack or lesser ability relative to a rival competitor. It's so easy to push the blame and excuse themselves, it's hence very tempting.

It happens all the time. Some incidents may be true, but it's difficult to tell the honest from those in denial
Old 9 Dec 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1175328)   #81
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkh
I think there were quite a few of thoes right here

Hmm, did Pizzonia bring it up more than once? I only remember this, and I didn't think that was so offending but I haven't read the new comments?
I also only recall the one time. Everything that I have read since has come, allegedly, from MW. Could just be media-generated dirt though.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1175366)   #82
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think this is out of the norm for Mark at all. He was one of the main people last year saying that BAR was running light and that they were not any faster than Jag. Its for reasons like this that I was never a fan of his mindset. However, since his has not been beaten by a teammate yet he has to be given some credit.

I think a true test of his worth will be shown next year. Speaking of pressure, he did not handle pressure really well last year did he? "The car" always seemed to have issues whenever there was an opportunity to show his true worth.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 15:48 (Ref:1175374)   #83
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The car always DID have serious issues! Jaguar never sussed out their tyre wear problems - the races were never going to work out for them for this reason alone.

I think it highly unlikely that MW's only skill is outrageously good qualifying - he often gets the car way, way higher than it deserves to be, and that surely can't be a fluke.

I'll be putting money on him in the Williams.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1175377)   #84
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I really don't have any doubt at all that Webber will prove his doubters wrong when the serious action starts next year. He is a very good driver, a team-player and respected by the other drivers [except Pizzonia!]. Being a team-player is not the same as being an apple polisher, btw, for those who can't tell the difference.

That said, I was very surprised that he came out with these comments about Pizzonia. I can only think that he felt compelled to say his piece before the team makes what, in his opinion, would be a bad choice.

Incidentally, I understood at the time that the problems Jaguar had with Pizzonia, whom I also rate highly, were as much to do with his manager as witth him. Maybe the manager has now (been) moved on...