Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 30 May 2005, 00:14 (Ref:1314206)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what kind of welding machine

i am looking for a welding machine of my own. I haveonly borrowed or hired in the past-
i am not sure of what amperage and voltage to buy suffice to say, i certainly would like it to work on house current, as it will be for homw garage use and minor fabrication (some rollcage work, finish my locost frame etc)
anysuggestioons? Miller, lincolnelctric, matco,...)

and what features do i need to llook for.
TIG/MIG-wire feed rates...etc.
no Oxyacetylene, i have one and frankly using electric welders is cleaner, fasster and easier, but identifying one which does what i need is crazy with so many choices.
Old 30 May 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1314357)   #2
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mig is the one to go for, its much easier and faster to use than tig, buy a tig if you want to weld aluminium, or want to produce nice neat delicate work similar to what you would achive with gas welding.

dont bother with any of the mini mig machines, they really dont have the guts for doing anything more than the occasional spot of welding, and certainly arn't up to welding roll cages.

most of the small machines overheat the transformers and the power output drops off quickly, leaving you unable to produce nice welds.

my mig is an ancent BOC machine producing 110AMP, however that figure is misleading as its stuffed full of capaciters and stuff and welds far far better than that figure would suggest, if going for a new one look for at least 140AMP, fan cooled is vital to stop the transformer getting too hot, which not only shortens its life but reduces in power output as it gets hotter.

dont worry about wire feed rates, whatever machine you buy it will suit the power output of it.

sealy welders are cheap, but will be fine for 99% of DIY applications, infact lots of the motor trade use them.

why not send Rod Birley an email he might be able to sort you a deal on one,
Old 30 May 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1314381)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I use mig and Oxeyacetalene, mig is good for most things and causes less distortion than gas welding but both have there places. Also with gas you will need a BOC Account which will set you back £75 a year whether you use it or not. GAs is great if you need a bit of heat for a bit of massaging and will be using mine in about half an hour for just that.
Old 30 May 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1314398)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I have a 170 amp mig and it is more than adequate for home and light industrial use.
Go for a mig that uses gas rather than a gasless one.
What country are you in, sounds like the USA as you mention Miller and Lincolnelectric.
Al, I have a BOC account and it costs me nothing until I rent a bottle from them
Old 30 May 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1314419)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Are you sure Falcemob, I do it through my company I will have to check that out I am sure there is a minimum payment a year of around £75 but I am prepared to be proved wrong.
Old 30 May 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1314424)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
If there is then I haven't paid anything for two years. I was paying £50+ a year for the hire of an Argo-shield bottle but that has gone back now and I haven't been billed since.
Old 30 May 2005, 08:52 (Ref:1314428)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes thats it you reminded me, it is for the bottle hire, you have got lucky by the sound of it but I will check out my accounts may be they have changed the set up.
Old 30 May 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1314842)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Don't bother... everyone gets charged for their bottles... except Falcemob of course, he's just lucky like that

I've got a SIP TopMig 150A on Argoshield Light from a domestic 240V/13A supply which will do 1mm to 4mm steel fine, and will do up to 6mm plate with practice. I've also tried it with Alushield and aluminium wire, but with mixed results so far... must practice more

I also use OxyAcetylene which gives better control for <1mm steel and can be used for copper welding and brazing, which can't be done with a mig... not to mention its "hot spanner" facility
Old 30 May 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1315035)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
They will catch up with him then he will get a shock. :-)
Old 31 May 2005, 01:58 (Ref:1315272)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

so a 140 amp mig machine running on 220V DC, is thebest way to go with a gas shield bottle ready in the mix? consensus?
Old 31 May 2005, 01:58 (Ref:1315273)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

by the way how cool is my avatar? super trucks rule
Old 31 May 2005, 05:42 (Ref:1315340)   #12
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a couple of MIG welders, nothing super fancy, a Sealey MIG180, which will do everything on the car that I want (for steel), and two FERM migs - one's a 150A job, the other is a 75A gasless MIG. The FERM one's are both live torch, the trigger only turns the wire feed on and off. The Sealey is a semi-professional unit, which has done well.

I've seen some bargains on eBay, so well worth a look.

If you feel like going down the TIG route, you need an AC/DC tig to cover all eventualities - stainless, ali, steel, etc.. but expect to pay up to £1200 for a half reasonable second user welding set, and the better one's tend to be 415V three phase.

You pay's your money, you take's your choice!

Rob.
Old 31 May 2005, 05:42 (Ref:1315341)   #13
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for avatars - my pinion is cool (now). As you can see, it got really hot!
Old 31 May 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1315755)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Don't bother... everyone gets charged for their bottles... except Falcemob of course, he's just lucky like that
I get charged for my bottles from BOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
They will catch up with him then he will get a shock. :-)
There is nothing to catch up with me about, I haven't got one at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I was paying £50+ a year for the hire of an Argo-shield bottle but that has gone back now and I haven't been billed since.
Old 31 May 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1315769)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've got mig for general and Oxyacetalene for daring occasions and brazing, in some instances brazing is actually stronger, so worth having

its also very good for warming things up, and burning your fingers, as I did yesterday modifying a pair of McPherson struts !
Old 31 May 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1316000)   #16
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
There is nothing to catch up with me about, I haven't got one at the moment
So what do you use as a shield gas for your Mig welder? Or do you just not use it any more.... in which case gttouring might well be interested in a hardly used 170A mig
Old 31 May 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1316002)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
So what do you use as a shield gas for your Mig welder? Or do you just not use it any more.... in which case gttouring might well be interested in a hardly used 170A mig
Not used it in a while, that's why I haven't bothered with a bottle, but when I do use it I can borrow one.
Old 31 May 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1316130)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Falcemob, do you know a friendly pub landlord? I use C02 gas that pushes the beer up and get him to top it up or change as required, works a treat!
Old 1 Jun 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1317359)   #19
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Falcey isn't a big fan of the old Beer trade, but he does do quite a good line in hot air when he gets going. Maybe he should try bottling it for his Mig
Old 1 Jun 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1317369)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Falcey isn't a big fan of the old Beer trade, but he does do quite a good line in hot air when he gets going. Maybe he should try bottling it for his Mig
hmmm, humour, you should try it some time
Old 1 Jun 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1317395)   #21
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
hmmm, humour, you should try it some time

I do, I do, but you need a sense of humour to appreciate it
Old 2 Jun 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1318386)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
One problem there, Hot air is not an enert gas. :-)