Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Oct 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1423012)   #1
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah hell, help!

I think i've just been done speeding.

I was going through a country road which is a 30 (stupid for the road it is) and i saw a police car parked up to the side by a factory, i slowed but not enough and as i looked at the car he was facing the camera at the traffic going the other way (which they was none of) now, at this point in a car id know im in real bother but it's a bike so it only has a rear number plate, not front and he just kept holding the camera in position at the road as i was adjacent like he had it pointed on the other lane. I was ready for a car to be parked further up and pull me over but there was none.

How do these portable cameras work?
Old 3 Oct 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1423023)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They point the camera at your car, zap and read the speed that you're doing, if you're going too fast they usually send it on the mail to give you a nice surprise in front of the whole family.
Nice chaps, aren't they?
Old 3 Oct 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1423026)   #3
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was coming towards him but as its a bike i dont have a front number plate, so no postal details, i didnt see him turn round he seemed to just keep holding the camera where it was as i went past
Old 3 Oct 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1423027)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'll be fine then, as opposed to fined!
Old 3 Oct 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1423028)   #5
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
So should they have pulled me over if i have anything to be worried about?
Old 3 Oct 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1423031)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd have thought from what you've said they were using a radar gun, if you were speeding I reckon you'd have been pulled on the spot.

Remember most speedo's are inaccurate by default, usually the figure is somewhere around 10%, ie 30 to you is only actually 27..
Old 3 Oct 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1423037)   #7
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
It was radar, little silver box thing on a handle. I've been told from a friend that he thinks they are just like a video camera displaying speed and cant take photos
Old 3 Oct 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1423063)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
No, they'd have pulled you over if it was handheld. If it was in the back of a van or on a tripod then you can expect an envelope in tomorrows mail. Even if you have been caught I'd not worry too much - just pay the fine and get on with your life - it's an occupational hazard one of these days and no one (insurance companies/employers) gives a toss unless you have six or more points.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1423957)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When you get your fine, write back and ask politely for a "Proof Of Calibration" document for the equipment used by them.

This kind of equipment is required to be calibrated on a daily basis.

How-sumever, if you were breaking the law.............!
Old 4 Oct 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1423991)   #10
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
..Even if you have been caught I'd not worry too much - just pay the fine and get on with your life ....
Fine and Points, Not exactly a good attitude to take. I certainly wouldn't 'just accept it' I'd fight. The Scamera Partnerships don't like it, but always insist on seeing the photo evidence of you before you admit to speeding.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1423995)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think i got done by a van the other day, although it's been a week now and i've not heard anything... i *think* i got away with it...

just in case i went back and took pictures of the area in which the van was situated to try and indicate that it wasn't the most visible of places to hide.

a1 black cat roadworks : watch out. the vans hide in long grass...
Old 6 Oct 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1425657)   #12
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase
Fine and Points, Not exactly a good attitude to take. I certainly wouldn't 'just accept it' I'd fight. The Scamera Partnerships don't like it, but always insist on seeing the photo evidence of you before you admit to speeding.
But the device can't take photos, and i wasn't pulled over? Surely then no proof?
Old 6 Oct 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1425754)   #13
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then you should be OK,my comment above was in respect of not just rolling over when you get sent the NIP.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1426764)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Unless, of course you know you've done it and insisting on a court hearing will likely result in more fine and more points... just accept it and keep an eye out in future!