Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Sep 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1710834)   #1
acotrel
Racer

acotrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sports Car Racing in Australia

Please excuse any emotional content in this post, however I'm still trying to come to terms with the loss of a famous motorsport icon in Australia.
I wish to question the homolgation requirements applying to sports cars racing in Australia, and the intent behind them?
An Australian built sports car involved in a recent incident , had a requirement imposed on the manufacturer that 10 cars had to be built before it was allowed to race in 'marque sports'. I believe this requiremnent led to the racing of this very potent, and excellent circuit racing vehicle in several rallies conducted on public roads, where it became involved in the fatal incident.
The Australian Motor Racing Series has no such homologation requirements for sports cars , however by the time this series came along the commitment to rallying this particular car had obviously been made.
I'm wondering why the homolgation rules even exist, when they don't assist Australian manufacturers to get a car up and racing?
The decision to rally the car may have been influenced by many factors, however I believe the existence of the homologation rules was one of them. It seems very arbitrary on the part of 'controlling bodies' to have such rules.
I acknowledge that rallies conducted on public roads are not 'fail safe', and the decision to race a very fast car in one falls on the driver and manufacturer. In this case it appears the decision was wrong, however I feel it was influenced by unnecessary external factors.
Best Regards,
Alan Cotterell
Old 15 Sep 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1711191)   #2
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do homolgation rules exist for Targa events???

Brocky's crash is extremely tragic and damaging to motorsport in Australia but I think there were more problems with the lead up rather than the car. With Brocky entering late and not doing a recce, having been in the UK a week before are all contributing factors. Plus the placement of the tree had a factor. Yes this needs to be learnt from but I from what I have heard, extra normal safety features would not have saved the driver.

But there will be an inquest and I guess we all wait for that - and the fallout from that.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1711356)   #3
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm a little confused. The car he was racing was a historical machine, and NOT made in Autstralia to begin with (a Ford Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe as I recall). So I don't understand what part homologation rules could possibly have played in this case.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 23:50 (Ref:1711492)   #4
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I may be wrong, but I'm guessing the car was a recent replica as opposed to an original Shelby Daytona Coupe. Wasn't Brock himself involved in the manufacture of such machines, or am I getting this all arse-backwards with my non-Australian viewpoint?
Old 19 Sep 2006, 02:23 (Ref:1713358)   #5
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the car was a replica, built approx 2000. It had a Chev LS1/Gen3 engine, and a roll cage. Given the accident was high speed sideways into a tree, I’m not sure that the type of car was relevant.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 05:04 (Ref:1713399)   #6
fordlover
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, AUstralia
fordlover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Wasn't Brock himself involved in the manufacture of such machines, or am I getting this all arse-backwards with my non-Australian viewpoint?
the man who built the car's name was infact peter brock but i dont believe the two are related.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 06:43 (Ref:1713423)   #7
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understood the car Peter Brock lost his life was not a car made a Superformance. It was a car made locally.

Superformance is a US company set up by Peter Brock, the original designer of the Shelby Daytona Coupe. He was not in any way releated to the Late Peter Brock.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ock/index.html
Old 21 Sep 2006, 06:36 (Ref:1715203)   #8
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars are built/created by Richard Bendell of MoTeC fame, designer Ross Holder and chassis builder Michael Borland. The running gear is basically all Holden.
There are a few of them and they already ran in "marque Sports" in Victoria. Usally with Phill Morriss driving, although Adam MacRow has driven as well as Richard
Old 21 Sep 2006, 22:08 (Ref:1715923)   #9
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was also one that ran in the last AMRS round at Winton driven by Tim Hendy.

Paul.
Old 22 Sep 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1716697)   #10
acotrel
Racer

As an observer from outside rallying, I've got the impression that the reason Richard Bendell began entering his cars in rallies, had to do with the homologation requirements of the series known as 'Marque Sports'. The requirement was that ten cars be built before the Daytona would be accepted.
Tim Hendry's Daytona (which Richard built) ran in the Australian Motor Racing Series (under a different controlling body) a few weeks back. I believe Tim is a good driver, however not 'brilliant' like Peter Brock. He was running up with the leaders which included some very fast Porsches.
It was a pretty remarkable performance for a car which is similar in some ways to a Cobra. The Cobra replicas which I've seen racing at Winton never go so fast or handle so well!
Best Regards,
Alan Cottere ll
Old 25 Sep 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1719755)   #11
acotrel
Racer

I'm a bit curious as to why it is difficult for an Australian manufacturer to get a start in a race with anything new? It appears that the number of classes is increasing, and that if taken to it's natural conclusion, one day there will be a separate class for every car.
The Australian Motor Racing Series appears to be a step in the right direction, as it caters for just about ANY sports car.
I suggest motor racing in Oz,is too 'rule bound', and those rules often don't really help the industry of motor racing to contribute to development of cars which would return 'export dollars' to Australia.