Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

View Poll Results: Which cars max 3.5litres
Sportscars 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Sportscars Up to 1985 0 0%
GT 1968 - 1985 0 0%
GT Up to 1985 0 0%
Saloons 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Saloons Up to 1985 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Jun 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2485339)   #1
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
15 August 2010 - Alternative 6 hour? (YES, organised by the 360MRC)

Ok this is just a germ of an idea thats arisen from another thread but....would there be any interest in a race of say 4/6 hours for cars up to 1980, maybe newer, split into age groups (pre '70, 80 etc) and engine classes within that, running to CSCC/ FISC/ Maxi 1000 type regs? I.E. cars that look like they should (no big arches/ wings etc) but relatively free under the skin on E marked tyres or Dunlop historics.
Before you all start on the problems of re-fuelling, non availability of circuits, App K or anything else, I am just trying to gauge possible interest.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 17:35 (Ref:2485353)   #2
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be interested but I'm a bit of a loner so would want to do it solo which probably wouldn't be allowed.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 17 Jun 2009, 17:39 (Ref:2485356)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am lucky enough to run in the real 6hrs (again this year), but the thought of a Group 1 pre 76 class appeals. It would however depend entirely upon the circuit.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 18:37 (Ref:2485390)   #4
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whets my appetite
Old 17 Jun 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2485422)   #5
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Moose, I Feel the same!! Some kind of relay type thing could be incorperated though.
Peter, only rules would be bodyshell, classes based purely on engine size and age , thinking of Anglesey maybe.
As I say just trying to see if the interest is there.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2485434)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I'd be up for that; how about if the 6 of us organise it and give ourselves 50% off?
Old 17 Jun 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2485520)   #7
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without perousing the blue book does anyone know if there is a maximum time limit for a driver?

Anglesey would be fine by me and I know it has its attractions for you Podd but I have a feeling that it could be a problem as many people seem to think its the other side of the planet.

I guess the first thing would be to find out how much it costs for a day/weekend.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 17 Jun 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2485521)   #8
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'd be interested in something like that. Have you had any further thoughts as to how where and when?
Old 17 Jun 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2485549)   #9
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would definitely be interested in a 6 hour race. Not sure about Anglesey though.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2485580)   #10
davidgt4
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey
davidgt4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Count me in on your plotting...
CSCC & PFFC #74 Dino 308GT4
Old 17 Jun 2009, 23:20 (Ref:2485594)   #11
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Moose, back when I used to do the 2cv 24hr it was max three hours on and a three hour limit between stints. No idea if thats changed. And yes Anglesey is not only a fantastic track but dead easy for me so I am thinking selfishley!
Celia we are just seeing what the interest is, no firm plans yet. Rental costs would have a bearing on where it happened and others are looking into that end. As to when, realistically next season as budgets are sorted/spent by now for this year.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 06:40 (Ref:2485687)   #12
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I guess the first thing would be to find out how much it costs for a day/weekend.
Obviously, somewhere like Anglesey will be considerably cheaper, but I was recently quoted £150 per minute for Brands GP, £115 per minute for Brands Indy, and 200 Euros per minute for Spa - ie A four hour race with one hour qualifying would cost £45000 at Brands GP at those prices.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2485722)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands GP would be a good starting point but there is the problem of how many days would be allowed for its use.Perhaps Donington would be glad of some business?I would be up for something like this.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2485768)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Obviously, somewhere like Anglesey will be considerably cheaper, but I was recently quoted £150 per minute for Brands GP, £115 per minute for Brands Indy, and 200 Euros per minute for Spa - ie A four hour race with one hour qualifying would cost £45000 at Brands GP at those prices.
With 40 starters it compares favourably with Spa @ £1125.00.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2485783)   #15
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it would perhaps be difficult in the current financial climate but there always is the possibility of sponsorship, especially with a "different" race. Reallistically if it is going to be a 4/6 hour race it does need to be at a track at least 2 miles round. Spa would of course be fantastic but perhaps it should be kept to this country both for sponsorship reasons and the fact that some drivers would not want to go abroad or may only have a Nat "B" licence. I will have a word with a friend who has organised stuff like this before. If interest is ongoing we could put a poll out on it. All speculation I know but well done Podd for bringing the subject up.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2485808)   #16
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
It sounds a great idea but don't forget that, on top of circuit hire, you have MSA permit fees, expenses for timekeepers, scrutineers, rescue and recovery/snatch vehicles etc....and some sort of refreshment subsidy for the marshals to factor in to the 'cost per minute'. You also need an MSA organising club to take it on and get the permit. Nothing there that's insurmountable however.
If you want a clerk of the course, I'm cheap to the point of being free!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2485814)   #17
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic idea, how about a double 6 hour race in a similar vain to the double 12 hours that Brooklands staged
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2485816)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
If you want a clerk of the course, I'm cheap to the point of being free!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2485819)   #19
Alan Morgan
Veteran

The figures quoted for Brands were to run a race at an existing meeting, so as far as I'm aware, there would be no further charges. As Peter says, if you fill the grid, it is a viable proposition. Obviously, the cashflow side of things would need to be carefully planned. Maybe a sponsor could be persuaded to help with that, in return for a share of the potential modest profit?
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2485820)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK let's go the whole hog; a 24 hour race for historics. Pie in the sky? Probably, but I'd just love to be there!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2485821)   #21
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
You may laugh Mr T. The official photograher/race reporter won't get paid either!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:17 (Ref:2485823)   #22
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Les Vingt Quatre Heures d'Anglesey - I like it!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2485824)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Would that be me then? If so nothing new there then!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2485828)   #24
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
The figures quoted for Brands were to run a race at an existing meeting, so as far as I'm aware, there would be no further charges. As Peter says, if you fill the grid, it is a viable proposition. Obviously, the cashflow side of things would need to be carefully planned. Maybe a sponsor could be persuaded to help with that, in return for a share of the potential modest profit?
The thing is Alan, you'd be lucky to get an organising club to take on a race such as this, within the framework of an existing meeting. As, with practice, it would take up a significant % of the day, the race would have to bear, at least, that proportion of all the other expenses.
I'm not being negative but having been involved in operational budgeting for race meetings, it's quite frightening what all the 'extras' mount up to!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2485829)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But I thought that all the Autosport staff got paid John.
I agree with JT,24 would be good but not too sure on how many takers there would be plus of course that narrows down the circuit choice's a bit as well.

Tags
alternative 6hrs, classic cars, cscc, ctcrc, mgcc bcv8