Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Nov 2009, 02:19 (Ref:2585511)   #26
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
By the way, those night races at Calder Park were fabulous. I think the fact that the lighting wasn't perfect added to the drama of the evenings. Better than any daylight race meeting at Phillip Island, Sandown or Winton.
Couldn't agree more, if it had've been run during the day it wouldnt be the same, I remember being there and really enjoying it, love to see it happen again-but it won't.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 05:45 (Ref:2585552)   #27
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks
It doesn't seem to be up on youtube anymore, but I definitely watched something on there about a calder night race in 96 or 97. The 99 round still seems to be up though, surely not a case of VESA rewriting history again?
It is a case of that.

The only Calder night races for V8s were 1995 (non-championship 'Peter Brock Classic') and the 1997 ATCC round mentioned in the thread.

Eastern Creek had a night race for the V8s in 1996, rd1 of that years ATCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
I was there for that event and more than just the main straight was under lights. The main straight had the permanent drag strip lighting, and the rest of the circuit had more spasmodic temporary generator powered lighting.
Isn't that what we want though, good lighting at the startline/pitarea, then a few lights round the circuit. The cars have headlights, and night racing is another driving skill.

I don't really see much point if the track is so lit you can leave the headlights off.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2585565)   #28
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Isn't that what we want though, good lighting at the startline/pitarea, then a few lights round the circuit. The cars have headlights, and night racing is another driving skill.

I don't really see much point if the track is so lit you can leave the headlights off.
I agree that its a much better spectacle live at the track with lower light but it is terrible for TV when the cars have their lights on. All that ends up happening is a lot of flare as the cars head towards cameras that have been adjusted down for low light. I'd reckon that'll be why a low light night race is unlikely.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2587043)   #29
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either way, I think Frosty will win the round. GRM #2 and #3.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 22 Nov 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2587445)   #30
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what happens to the freight allocation for the teams with 2 overseas rounds back to back? If a car gets totalled in Abu Dhabi, what happens to get it on the track at Bahrain? Championship defining incident in the 1st round?
Old 22 Nov 2009, 23:31 (Ref:2587449)   #31
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
what happens to the freight allocation for the teams with 2 overseas rounds back to back? If a car gets totalled in Abu Dhabi, what happens to get it on the track at Bahrain? Championship defining incident in the 1st round?
Its a worry - I don't think anybody is going to take a spare car. Todd's accident yesterday shows how easily a car can be destroyed.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 00:01 (Ref:2587464)   #32
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I don't think anybody is going to take a spare car
unless the rules have changed, i'm sure that would exceed the freight upload allowance
Old 23 Nov 2009, 02:02 (Ref:2587509)   #33
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
It'd be crazy if the rules weren't altered to allow for a replacement car for Bahrain if the main car was damaged beyond reasonable repair in Abu Dhabi, as long as the need is real.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 02:18 (Ref:2587512)   #34
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And what happens if the car is badly damaged enough so that it doesn't fit back into the freight box it arrived in?
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 23 Nov 2009, 04:02 (Ref:2587540)   #35
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brawn managed X flyaway rounds to start F1 with just 2 tubs and very very few spare parts.

Surely a V8 team can, if they have to miss the second meeting then they have to.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 04:05 (Ref:2587543)   #36
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Surely a V8 team can, if they have to miss the second meeting then they have to.
What if a team does a whincup, and the car is a complete write off and cant race. Does the team get penalised for being a no show? Thats how the rule is written......
Old 23 Nov 2009, 04:09 (Ref:2587547)   #37
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
What if a team does a whincup, and the car is a complete write off and cant race. Does the team get penalised for being a no show? Thats how the rule is written......
No - there is a force majeur rule they would invoke.

You could bet your butt other teams would help if it were at all possible to get that car fixed.
Old 21 Dec 2009, 23:57 (Ref:2603458)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DJR "The Team" Helps Promote Prostate Cancer Awareness

Interesting that VESA is helping fund the 'alternate' uniform and race suit costs for teams with alcohol branding
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Dec 2009, 01:18 (Ref:2603486)   #39
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
given VESA are the ones organising a trip to 2x events where the teams cannot advertise their otherwise legitimate sponsors that pay for the teams to compete in the series, and therefore the teams have to outlay the cost of new/altered uniforms etc, why shouldn't VESA help fund it?
Old 23 Dec 2009, 04:05 (Ref:2604005)   #40
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
given VESA are the ones organising a trip to 2x events where the teams cannot advertise their otherwise legitimate sponsors that pay for the teams to compete in the series, and therefore the teams have to outlay the cost of new/altered uniforms etc, why shouldn't VESA help fund it?
They should pay for the new uniforms for SBR, LDM or anyone else too then?
Old 23 Dec 2009, 04:30 (Ref:2604010)   #41
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Do any of those teams have to change their uniforms from their uniform due to alcohol sponsorship? Nope......
Old 23 Dec 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2604146)   #42
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
+1 for STEALTHY, all the teams are paying money to get their first set of uniforms, it's only JDR, DJR, Bottle-O etc. that have to buy a second set, for two races...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 23 Dec 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2604404)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
+1 for STEALTHY, all the teams are paying money to get their first set of uniforms, it's only JDR, DJR, Bottle-O etc. that have to buy a second set, for two races...
So get a sponsor that is sensitive to the cultural differences in the markets V8Supercar participates in. Is gambling allowed in these markets? Is v8bet.com also in trouble in this regard?

Nobody helped GSR or Gibson Motorsport when the circus went to WA and the mega health warnings had to appear on the cars, the transporters, the crew, the equipment.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2604421)   #44
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
So get a sponsor that is sensitive to the cultural differences in the markets V8Supercar participates in. Is gambling allowed in these markets? Is v8bet.com also in trouble in this regard?

Nobody helped GSR or Gibson Motorsport when the circus went to WA and the mega health warnings had to appear on the cars, the transporters, the crew, the equipment.
however, wasn't that before the start of V8 racing... sorry i mean AVESCO... in Australia precedence doesn't always guide us
Old 24 Dec 2009, 00:08 (Ref:2604463)   #45
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry about that, imagine if Jesus Racing was in the main game! Merry Christmas everyone!

The UAE is very progressive though.
Old 24 Dec 2009, 02:11 (Ref:2604510)   #46
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yet the Big Mac ran in Abu Dhabi F1 with Diageo plastered over its rear wing.
Old 24 Dec 2009, 03:15 (Ref:2604528)   #47
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
Yet the Big Mac ran in Abu Dhabi F1 with Diageo plastered over its rear wing.
Probably able to do that as Diageo not a brand as such I guess
Old 24 Dec 2009, 03:16 (Ref:2604529)   #48
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suppose you can't go to the pub and get a pint of 'Diageo'. Much like if it is the V8 Supercar series presented by Bigpond and Lion Nathan...
Old 24 Dec 2009, 06:24 (Ref:2604559)   #49
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Or keep the series in a country where the majority of said sponsors come from! Do you honestly think that when a sponsor signs on to join a V8 team they are thinking "you beauty, this will be great for our Abu Dhabi and Bahrain markets"???
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 24 Dec 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2604567)   #50
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

Theres too much of this changing to suit others crap going on. Personally i don't see any benefit to the category by having those overseas rounds (NZ excluded). The series should come as a package deal, you either get all the teams as they are, or none!